Luis Robert signing official

southsider2k5

• Replies 749
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (TheTruth05 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:37 PM)
I've seen enough,lets get him to Charlotte.

Hahaha we all wish. To be fair I would expect a prospect like Robert to crush DSL pitching. Nice to see him taking a year off has not had too much of an impact though.

We will all be disappointed if he does not see playing time in single A before the end of the season though.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)
Hahaha we all wish. To be fair I would expect a prospect like Robert to crush DSL pitching. Nice to see him taking a year off has not had too much of an impact though.

We will all be disappointed if he does not see playing time in single A before the end of the season though.

Definitely forgot the green text lol but yes,I'd love to see him in Kanny before the year ends but I wouldn't doubt he doesn't leave DSL this season especially after the long layoff.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:35 PM)
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?g...ox&sid=milb

Robert 1 for 2 with a walk. Not sure why he came out of the game late.

It was his first game in like a year. Think of it as spring training where guys don't play full games until a couple of weeks into the spring.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:46 PM)

There are definite tax considerations at play here, and however long it takes for those to be effective is how long he will stay in the DR. There is a pretty decent chance that we structured our bid to give him that early playing time there to save him something like $4 million in taxes. To have gotten him $4 million more in a cash equivilant in the US, it would have taken a bid somewhere in the $32 to $33 million range depending on which state he was playing in when he got paid his bonus.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:58 PM)
There are definite tax considerations at play here, and however long it takes for those to be effective is how long he will stay in the DR. There is a pretty decent chance that we structured our bid to give him that early playing time there to save him something like $4 million in taxes. To have gotten him $4 million more in a cash equivilant in the US, it would have taken a bid somewhere in the $32 to $33 million range depending on which state he was playing in when he got paid his bonus.

I'm sure that has something to do with why he is not stateside yet, but also we do not need to throw him into Kannapolis before he has gotten some playing time in the DSL as a tune up. A year away from organized baseball is quite some time.

A likely path would be:

DSL, possibly some Rookie League and/or low A ball games in 2017

2018 start the season in low A, with good performance earning promotion and finishing the season at high A.

2019 start season at AA, possible AAA promotion second half of the season.

2020 likely some time in AAA, but good chance of a callup?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 02:52 PM)
It was his first game in like a year. Think of it as spring training where guys don't play full games until a couple of weeks into the spring.

Probably also the hottest time of the day with games beginning at 10:30....maybe a lot of glare in the outfield, anything's possible.

Or simply wanted him to sit with the two times successfully reaching base and build on that for tmrw hopefully. Or just manager's preferred late inning defensive alignment from first week.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 12, 2017 -> 03:05 PM)
I'm sure that has something to do with why he is not stateside yet, but also we do not need to throw him into Kannapolis before he has gotten some playing time in the DSL as a tune up. A year away from organized baseball is quite some time.

A likely path would be:

DSL, possibly some Rookie League and/or low A ball games in 2017

2018 start the season in low A, with good performance earning promotion and finishing the season at high A.

2019 start season at AA, possible AAA promotion second half of the season.

2020 likely some time in AAA, but good chance of a callup?

I think this is conservative. Robert is 19 now--There are many young stars who make their MLB debut at age 20. Don't know if he's in this category or not yet--too soon to tell but both Manny Machado and Bryce Harper made their debut's at age 20--they seem to be doing OK. I think you're right about this year and next, but I would think IF HE PERFORMS the way he should and is capable of, 2019 could be the year we first see him at age 21.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 03:02 PM)
I think this is conservative. Robert is 19 now--There are many young stars who make their MLB debut at age 20. Don't know if he's in this category or not yet--too soon to tell but both Manny Machado and Bryce Harper made their debut's at age 20--they seem to be doing OK. I think you're right about this year and next, but I would think IF HE PERFORMS the way he should and is capable of, 2019 could be the year we first see him at age 21.

Did either Machado or Harper take a year off of baseball? I think that has to be factored in, as well as playing baseball in Cuba isn't the same as playing it even if the US minor leagues. With each Cuban position player we have seen bad habits and sectors of their game that needed to be worked on. 19 year old Dayan Viciedo needed basically 3 full minor league seasons (the last two mixed with short call ups) before he could play a full season in the majors at 23. We might see him at 21, but he probably won't be ready at 21.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 02:10 PM)
Did either Machado or Harper take a year off of baseball? I think that has to be factored in, as well as playing baseball in Cuba isn't the same as playing it even if the US minor leagues. With each Cuban position player we have seen bad habits and sectors of their game that needed to be worked on. 19 year old Dayan Viciedo needed basically 3 full minor league seasons (the last two mixed with short call ups) before he could play a full season in the majors at 23. We might see him at 21, but he probably won't be ready at 21.

Fair enough...good point about the year off. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a little fast track though. The dude is a monster athlete and really looks cut next to other 19 year olds. At 6'3" 205 at age 19--he's got possible Giancarlo Stanton body type once he fills out. (6'6" 245). Another 20 year old debuter too.

Edited by FT35

We are also hoping that Robert is a far better talent than Dayan ever was. Dayan was never a true major leaguer even at 23.

If Robert is the dynamic talent that they expect we will see him in a couple years for sure. Plus, the Sox have shown that you can usually take what you think is the conservative route/time of bringing up a guy and then subtract a year off of that for when they actually come up.

QUOTE (FT35 @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 03:19 PM)
Fair enough...good point about the year off. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on a little fast track though. The dude is a monster athlete and really looks cut next to other 19 year olds. At 6'3" 205 at age 19--he's got possible Giancarlo Stanton body type once he fills out. (6'6" 245). Another 20 year old debuter too.

but can he do a standing back flip?

QUOTE (shipps @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 03:22 PM)
We are also hoping that Robert is a far better talent than Dayan ever was. Dayan was never a true major leaguer even at 23.

If Robert is the dynamic talent that they expect we will see him in a couple years for sure. Plus, the Sox have shown that you can usually take what you think is the conservative route/time of bringing up a guy and then subtract a year off of that for when they actually come up.

I used Viciedo has he has been on the same development path as Robert, and he is the same age as Dayan when he signed. Don't forget there was a school of though that Viciedo could be on the team right away when he signed, or at least within the same year.

The reality is we just don't really know what we have with him yet. Physical specimen? Yes. Exciting prospect? Of course.

But there are many many dudes who can run into one but can't hit MLB pitching. We're going to need at least the rest of this season to make any type of useful guess at a timeline.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 16, 2017 -> 06:34 PM)
The reality is we just don't really know what we have with him yet. Physical specimen? Yes. Exciting prospect? Of course.

But there are many many dudes who can run into one but can't hit MLB pitching. We're going to need at least the rest of this season to make any type of useful guess at a timeline.

Only if he faces US talent, whether it be Great Falls or Kanny.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 18, 2017 -> 07:51 PM)
Only if he faces US talent, whether it be Great Falls or Kanny.

They likely won't rush him this season, but I would expect him to start next season in Kannapolis for sure. He should mash DSL and Rookie ball pitching ideally.