Explosions at Ariana Grande concert in Manchester, UK

LittleHurt05

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 23, 2017 -> 07:29 PM)
I just copied and pasted what was on Twitter news/trending page. I'm sure there have been a variety of reports as there usually is and stuff like this. I can't get past the kid is 22.

Seems like most of these radicalized guys are in their 20s.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is worrisome is that this marks a continued change in tactics by ISIS that I have feared for a long time. The biggest choke points at a concert/sporting event is before and after the security. There have been so many times where Ive been in a security line for an event where I have thought about how bad a terrorist attack would be there.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 23, 2017 -> 02:20 PM)
What is worrisome is that this marks a continued change in tactics by ISIS that I have feared for a long time. The biggest choke points at a concert/sporting event is before and after the security. There have been so many times where Ive been in a security line for an event where I have thought about how bad a terrorist attack would be there.

I was talking about this last night. You would be hard pressed to get a bomb into the united center during an event, but nothing would stop you from standing just outside the entry doors with one.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 23, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
I was talking about this last night. You would be hard pressed to get a bomb into the united center during an event, but nothing would stop you from standing just outside the entry doors with one.

Until the recent spate of car attacks, I had never noticed the multiple concrete posts in front of the UC entrances. But this year I thought about it if someone tried to drive a car through the doors, but then saw how many posts there were in surrounding the entrance.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 23, 2017 -> 03:12 PM)
Until the recent spate of car attacks, I had never noticed the multiple concrete posts in front of the UC entrances. But this year I thought about it if someone tried to drive a car through the doors, but then saw how many posts there were in surrounding the entrance.

In a lot of places, those bollards will be disguised as more decorative features, too. A bunch of concrete planters lining a sidewalk in front of a museum or something might be steel reinforced and solidly anchored into the ground. It's primarily done to prevent vehicle bombs, but now that "driving into crowds deliberately" is a thing, it'll be considered for that, too.

decorative-jersey-barrier-4.jpg

Yeah the Times Square incident was tragic, but it really was a sign of good foresight and design where they had been putting those up for years to protect the heavy pedestrian crowds.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 23, 2017 -> 03:12 PM)

Yeah after 9/11 a lot of those were installed downtown. Many were created to "blend" in.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 23, 2017 -> 03:26 PM)
So simple solution is not allowing any Muslim family to emmigate to the West in the first place in order to prevent their children from radicalizing when limited educational and economic opportunities might raise their ugly heads?

It sucks that there is no solution. The empathy, do-nothing route is CLEARLY not going to stop terrorism. Targeting Muslims is CLEARLY not going to help.

The problem with the million+ immigration to Europe is not the Syrian refugees. It's the people from other areas piggybacking it, saying they lost their passports. And everyone knows that's happening by the tens of thousands. You can't deny that. You'd be a f***ing idiot to think people aren't using it as a smokescreen. A real f***ing idiot. Pretending to be a refugee is a free ticket to get out of African and other Middle Eastern failed states. Just so happens many of those people blame the west for collapsing their governments and funding Daesh. Syrians are pissed we keep funding Daesh.

I don't know if there is an answer. I don't think temporarily banning travel from failed states without record keeping is the worst idea. It's a nice middle ground between doing nothing and going too far.

Nobody has an answer that's great. But folks love to fingerpoint at those that are at least trying

Once these bastards started on concerts and sporting events ... that can really change things drastically. They've been encouraged to attack these type venues and quite frankly with the rent a cops on hand they "could be" very very dangerous venues in the future for fans.

That said, this is an unspeakable tragedy. I'm still speechless and don't want to say anything but sorry for the victims and their families.

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 23, 2017 -> 09:26 PM)
Once these bastards started on concerts and sporting events ... that can really change things drastically. They've been encouraged to attack these type venues and quite frankly with the rent a cops on hand they "could be" very very dangerous venues in the future for fans.

That said, this is an unspeakable tragedy. I'm still speechless and don't want to say anything but sorry for the victims and their families.

Yea man, well said. I wonder if some type of response comes from this. Kids dying ups the public thirst for vengeance you'd think.

Every time I am in a long slow moving line going to an event I have to go through screening, I always wonder, if someone had a bomb, they could easily detonate it right by the gate and scores would be killed. The metal detectors might keep guns out of games and concerts, but if someone really wanted to hurt scores of people, doing it right outside would work almost as well. Security is so tight at Wrgiley, they can't stop Ronnie Woo Woo.

We are, I guess protected inside the venues, but in the parking lots, in line at the ticket counter, in line to get in, there really is nothing they can do.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 24, 2017 -> 02:18 PM)
Every time I am in a long slow moving line going to an event I have to go through screening, I always wonder, if someone had a bomb, they could easily detonate it right by the gate and scores would be killed. The metal detectors might keep guns out of games and concerts, but if someone really wanted to hurt scores of people, doing it right outside would work almost as well. Security is so tight at Wrgiley, they can't stop Ronnie Woo Woo.

We are, I guess protected inside the venues, but in the parking lots, in line at the ticket counter, in line to get in, there really is nothing they can do.

Ive been thinking a lot about this because I go to a good number of concerts/festivals and its been on my mind for a while.

I think what they would need to do is almost block off an area (that way no car bombs etc) and then stagger security at different points so that the bottlenecks arent as bad.

The 2 worst I have seen are 1) GnR concert at Soldier Field and 2) Lollapalooza. For the GnR concert, I kept talking about how the security was almost counter productive, because it created a huge mass of people with no where to go and that a bomb would actually kill more people if it went off there. Lollapalooza there is some security before the huge bottleneck, but again a bomb vest would be hard to find because its not really what they are looking for.

Another issue is (and this is my personal opinion) is that they need to stop focusing so much on trying to catch illegal drugs and just worry about safety. They arent going to catch a semi-intelligent person sneaking in drugs, it just wont happen. But by slowing down the line, creating the bottleneck they are making it less safe for everyone. Metal detectors and wands are pretty fast, its when they start digging through hats, etc that the line slows to a crawl.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 24, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)
Ive been thinking a lot about this because I go to a good number of concerts/festivals and its been on my mind for a while.

I think what they would need to do is almost block off an area (that way no car bombs etc) and then stagger security at different points so that the bottlenecks arent as bad.

The 2 worst I have seen are 1) GnR concert at Soldier Field and 2) Lollapalooza. For the GnR concert, I kept talking about how the security was almost counter productive, because it created a huge mass of people with no where to go and that a bomb would actually kill more people if it went off there. Lollapalooza there is some security before the huge bottleneck, but again a bomb vest would be hard to find because its not really what they are looking for.

Another issue is (and this is my personal opinion) is that they need to stop focusing so much on trying to catch illegal drugs and just worry about safety. They arent going to catch a semi-intelligent person sneaking in drugs, it just wont happen. But by slowing down the line, creating the bottleneck they are making it less safe for everyone. Metal detectors and wands are pretty fast, its when they start digging through hats, etc that the line slows to a crawl.

The crack security going through the bags is something. My wife likes to bring in contraband, which to her is extra bottles of water. She buries them at the bottom of her bag and puts a tampon on top of it. Once they get to the tampon, the search ends.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ May 23, 2017 -> 09:03 PM)
It sucks that there is no solution. The empathy, do-nothing route is CLEARLY not going to stop terrorism. Targeting Muslims is CLEARLY not going to help.

The problem with the million+ immigration to Europe is not the Syrian refugees. It's the people from other areas piggybacking it, saying they lost their passports. And everyone knows that's happening by the tens of thousands. You can't deny that. You'd be a f***ing idiot to think people aren't using it as a smokescreen. A real f***ing idiot. Pretending to be a refugee is a free ticket to get out of African and other Middle Eastern failed states. Just so happens many of those people blame the west for collapsing their governments and funding Daesh. Syrians are pissed we keep funding Daesh.

I don't know if there is an answer. I don't think temporarily banning travel from failed states without record keeping is the worst idea. It's a nice middle ground between doing nothing and going too far.

Nobody has an answer that's great. But folks love to fingerpoint at those that are at least trying

Many of those people blame the west for collapsing their countries. I wonder where they would get that crazy idea from?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 24, 2017 -> 03:01 PM)

I have a fairly big fear of large crowds like those types of events. Especially outdoors ones.

QUOTE (raBBit @ May 24, 2017 -> 01:09 PM)
This is a very sensible response and I am somewhere in line with this. This is a crisis and it's shame you can't talk about it without being called names.

Why do you suppose the Netherlands, France and Germany are all simultaneously going back to the center...politically?

Does Donald Trump actually believe building a wall instead of investing in education and infrastructure will somehow lead to 3% GDP growth? That swamping hospitals with uninsured and people reacting to a health care crisis because they can't afford treatment instead of being proactive with their health will work long-term?

We've spent double the money on infrastructure development in Iraq and Afganistan....roughly $400 billion since 9/11, than in Trump's proposed budget. We need roughly $1.5-2 trillion for all the repairs that are backlogged.

Solution, make the states pay for everything!!! That will surely work well. Pass the problem on down the line to all those Republican governors.

https://twitter.com/drugproblem/status/8671...n.7f33a83d.html

Follow

la bella vita @drugproblem

People really made Kim Kardashian delete this tweet because they didn't like that she included a photo of herself. Y'all are annoying

Edited by caulfield12

Interesting that so much info, like the bomber's name and analysis of the bomb, has been leaked ahead of time by U.S. sources, which angered the UK. I don't know what that means, it doesn't seem like Trump administration idiocracy, seems to be the way the US handles it. Or is there something else going on I missed?