6/5 Game

flavum

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typical mixed results for Giolito so far.

4 k's so far, but also a walk and 4 hits....lots of stolen base attempts (see Hansen), but was fortunately bailed out with two caught stealings/runners picked off.

Lots of pitches thrown. And there's another walk, his 2nd. That WHIP number is simply not going to be sustainable at the next level.

Somehow, the ERA has lowered to 5.26 but it has been fairly ugly going to get there.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 08:07 PM)
Typical mixed results for Giolito so far.

4 k's so far, but also a walk and 4 hits....lots of stolen base attempts (see Hansen), but was fortunately bailed out with two caught stealings/runners picked off.

Lots of pitches thrown. And there's another walk, his 2nd. That WHIP number is simply not going to be sustainable at the next level.

Somehow, the ERA has lowered to 5.26 but it has been fairly ugly going to get there.

How are his numbers mixed tonight? Everything looks great so far to me.

4 IP, 7 K, 2 BB, 3 H, 0 HR, 43/64 strikes (67%)

Seriously, what am I missing here?

Edited by Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 02:29 AM)
Looks like they changed one of the hits to an error too. This type of start is super encouraging.

Yep more impressive than no hitting a bad hitting team. He's striking out some good hitting prospects

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 08:28 PM)
Infield hit in the first inning is changed to an error.

Giolito 4 IP, 7K, 2BB, ER. 64 pitches, 43 strikes.

Thanks for posting...was wondering what happened there. I can't believe anyone could find something negative about this start. This is exactly what we've been waiting for the last couple months.

Well, I'm not sure how 7 hits in 4 innings is "great/excellent" but if you're actually watching the game and have seen all those balls put into play, I'll have to take your word for it...rather than going by the MILB.com play by play.

(NOTE: I misread 7 k's as 7 hits, my mistake...so I'll retract my criticism, at this point we have to be elated if starters in the minors can get through 5 innings)

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 08:32 PM)
Well, I'm not sure how 7 hits in 4 innings is "great/excellent" but if you're actually watching the game and have seen all those balls put into play, I'll have to take your word for it...rather than going by the MILB.com play by play.

Seven hits? WTF are you talking about?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 08:32 PM)

(NOTE: I misread 7 k's as 7 hits, my mistake...so I'll retract my criticism, at this point we have to be elated if starters in the minors can get through 5 innings)

Ehh yeah you caught it but your analysis is still bizarre. This is a very good game.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jun 6, 2017 -> 01:34 AM)
I'm not sure where you're getting your information from but it's wrong. Giolito has given up three hits in four innings. One was a bunt single.

Btw, kudos on a great interview with Callis. Was way better than the typical interview done prior to the draft

The first two innings were "shaky" in terms of just watching it as online play by play...but apparently none of the hits were blistered.

That's the problem with trying to analyze anything without at least listening to the announcers or hopefully watching with your own eyes.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 07:35 PM)
It's going to be seven hits soon with the caulfield jinx in play now.

Yes, I tried to jinx Volquez's no hitter this weekend but it didn't work because he's an ex-Royal.

(And actually the Marlins winning those games were positives for the Sox in the reverse standings.)

And Giolito's going to have to clean up all those runners stealing at will.

It's not like he's Hansen in his first full season. That won't work at the next level unless we have Willson Contreras behind the plate.

(Yes, noted that he's working on mechanics/repertoire/command and control and not specifically focusing on the running game, per se.)

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 08:43 PM)
At any rate, it seems like all the recent concern at SoxTalk Land is migrating to Yoan Moncada.

Mostly just concerned about the recent power outage, although it could be linked to the thumb. His slash line is still fine and the K rate is improving, with BB holding steady.

QUOTE (daggins @ Jun 5, 2017 -> 08:46 PM)
Mostly just concerned about the recent power outage, although it could be linked to the thumb. His slash line is still fine and the K rate is improving, with BB holding steady.

Ya he's fine. He's slumping after being injured, it happens at times. I have 0 worry about him.