Day Two Draft Discussion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:44 PM)
KLaw just mentioned make up concerns also for Gonzalez

Mlb.com blurb states high grades for makeup, who's right?

My guess is he slipped in the draft due to facing weak competition and him having below average power. Although he did hit plenty of doubles and swipes bases pretty well.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
Tyler Johnson RHP U of South Carolina

Johnson seems like a solid power arm out of the bullpen. Interesting to see if they try to stretch him out as a starter?

I'm glad they are bringing in some interesting arms now.

Think Crowe still available. Per Gonzalez twitter he apologizes to fans for being ineligible at end of May. Is that the off field? Grades or supplements or ineligible benefits? Think maybe grades cause he said chance to be reinstated.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:27 PM)
David Banuelos is a guy I'd have liked the Sox to draft. His bat might not play, but he really really has a shot at being an elite defensive catcher, which I think works in this era.

Was just picked in 5th round by Seattle

http://www.garnetandblackattack.com/2017/4...eball-prospects

Johnson came on strong at the end of 2016, with the biggest highlight coming in his complete game, 11 strikeout performance in an elimination game against UNC-Wilmington in the Columbia regional. Johnson would parlay that production into a spot on the USA Collegiate Team as a closer and came into 2017 as one of the highly-touted pitchers in college baseball.

However Johnson’s injury against Clemson sidelined him for nearly a month, which surely has something to do with why he’s only No. 85 on the list. There’s no doubt Johnson has a major league fast ball that tops out at 99 mph, but the other questions comes as to whether or not he can develop a decent breaking ball to pair with the heater.

His slider and change-up have the potential to become big league pitches, but right now Johnson still depends on his fastball to get outs. Another looming questions is whether or not Johnson can develop into starter, but even with all of the questions Johnson was still good enough to land in the top 100.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 07:00 PM)
Sounds like Johnson has a better chance to start than Henzman. If he could maintain FB in the mid 90's as a starter, this could be a high upside pick.

Henzman absolutely seems like he could be a starting pitcher

Seems like there is some rule that everyone is a white sox fan when they are about to be drafted. maybe that's why our attendance is so low. You have to be a draftee of the White Sox to have been our fan.

Dalton Henzman‏

@D_Henz

My Bro has been a White Sox his whole life!! Now we just need his SS to go too! The whole squad would be back together! #SEWHITESOX

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 01:21 PM)
Brian Bilek‏ @BrianBilek_ 2m2 minutes ago

#WhiteSox will take Kade McClure (@kademcc) in the 6th RD (177). Massive righthander out of Louisville. Deal figures to be overslot.

From Mentor OH, like Mitch Trubisky.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 13, 2017 -> 02:27 PM)
So according to this, the Sox just drafted two very similar-valued pitcher 2 rounds apart.

preseason I guess perfect game had Henzman and Mclure as #96 and #97 for top 100 college players.