2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/950789110809202688

(Now both Utah and Pistons in on Nikola).

Considering apparently Niko has not removed his trade demand, I think he will be gone fairly soon.

Obviously first round pick takes preference. I would love him for utah, personally.

Interested to see value. Glad multiple teams in on him.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 09:20 AM)
It really is jarring after so much of my life watching nearly everything work out perfectly for the lakers to see this completely endless pathetic rebuild by them.

The Lakers are a disaster. Our core is so much better. LA still has the ability to be a big lure in free agency but you have to have a good team around them to really hit on the stars. They are an utter disaster. LBJ going there will change everything but I'd argue our core is as good as any rebuilding core in the league. Please note that doesn't mean I'm saying we have some star-studded destiny cause we don't and I am perfectly okay moving Mirotic for good assets and hopefully ensuring we hit a top 5 pick (and as I've said, I think Gar/Pax are about as good as there is at drafting so all things considered I'm fine with them making those picks).

K.C. JohnsonVerified account @KCJHoop Can confirm Pistons have shown preliminary interest in Mirotic, per source. @TheSteinLine 1st. Also told Portland could join mix with Jazz and Pistons. Bulls motivated to get 1st round pick for Niko. 4 replies 31 retweets 24 likes

K.C. Johnson‏Verified account @KCJHoop 40m40 minutes ago As previously reported, the emergence of Markkanen, plus Mirotic eyeing big payday in 2020 free agency at time LaVine, Dunn on or due big deals, paint Bulls as motivated sellers.

One thing I'm interested in is whether we should move Mirotic or Lopez. I presume most will say just move both, but if the goal of the trade is largely motivated to maximize our current year draft pick, could you get extra run with Niko (to see how he pairs with Lauri and whether he really is a different player) while still struggling purely by moving Lopez for picks? I also wonder if you have any issues with the message sent to the team (who is playing hard, developing, etc). Not an easy situation given the fact we are here because our young guys have taken steps forward faster then anyone could have expected (which is a good thing).

Consistent losing is freaking toxic.

Mirotic showcasing at the 5 instead of the 3 was so helpful for his trade value. It's what sets him apart from Lopez.

Lopez is a good basketball player but when you look at the contenders, few have a need for a mostly post-up C, even as he's tried to stretch out.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 11:14 AM)
Mirotic showcasing at the 5 instead of the 3 was so helpful for his trade value. It's what sets him apart from Lopez.

Lopez is a good basketball player but when you look at the contenders, few have a need for a mostly post-up C, even as he's tried to stretch out.

The ability to put Lauri and Mirotic at the 4 and 5 though is a really interesting and tough match up in the NBA and a great fit for Hoiberg's offense. I would love to see a bigger test case as to how well that could work. It isn't like you have many real C's who could even push Mirotic around.

QUOTE (JenksIsMyHero @ Jan 9, 2018 -> 11:31 AM)
The Lavar Ball situation was so easy to predict too. I'm shocked the narcissist with his own reality tv show who constantly mouths off when cameras are around ended up being a nightmare for the organization.

If I were Magic and/or Luke Walton, I'd publicly tell Lavar to STFU or his son is going to ride the bench (losing value) and/or get traded from LA. I'd also ban him from the arena until he shuts up.

The Lakers 100 percent enable LaVar and annointed Lonzo the next coming. I see this Lithuania thing lasting until summer and then he pulls them out due to some sort of dispute

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 07:22 PM)
Bulls win. Dunn was horrendous but Lauri dropped 33 on the knicks.

I wonder if the Bulls are sitting Niko longer to see if trading him really would make them bad enough. Dunn couldn’t hit anything but he always gets really good looks in the paint. They just weren’t falling. Lauri has f***ing showed up when he plays against Porzingis. After that rough stretch he had, he’s gone back to being fantastic. Such a stellar pick.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 01:07 AM)
Given the young players who have developed / shown...does anyone think Paul George would be a good fit? Do the Bulls try making a run at George? Thinking out loud here. Or do they wait one more off-season?

The Bulls should have space for a max contract this offseason and IIRC it becomes questionable at best afterwards if they intend to extend LaVine. On top of that, this offseason there are currently only a handful of teams that can offer a max deal at all, most of them blew their cap numbers wide open 2 years ago when the cap suddenly increased and it isn't going up this season as much as expected at that time, so even though they're terrible at getting people to sign there, this is the one offseason where the max deal people might not have a choice.

It's been rumored a lot that George wants to go to LA, but obviously LAs going to prioritize Lebron and who knows how the Baller stuff is playing with the players.

The Bulls need to walk away from this offseason with a strong signing, whoever it is. George fits the bill. I am open to other ideas.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 10, 2018 -> 11:07 PM)
Given the young players who have developed / shown...does anyone think Paul George would be a good fit? Do the Bulls try making a run at George? Thinking out loud here. Or do they wait one more off-season?

I recognize the Paul George is a good player but he is by far my least favorite good player around. And a team where he is the best player just...meh to me.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 07:21 AM)
I recognize the Paul George is a good player but he is by far my least favorite good player around. And a team where he is the best player just...meh to me.

I tend to agree with you. George is good, but not as dynamic as other elite players. He's still pretty good though and we need to get as many good players as possible and then hope one becomes elite (imo).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 12:28 PM)
I tend to agree with you. George is good, but not as dynamic as other elite players. He's still pretty good though and we need to get as many good players as possible and then hope one becomes elite (imo).

Aside from Lebron, who would you count as an elite player available in free agency next year?

CP3 - maybe Houston keeps him?

Demarcus Cousins - anyone else terrified of signing him

Isiah Thomas

DeAndre Jordan

Paul George

Then it tails off into a second tier with Avery Bradley, LaMarcus Aldridge,the guys who are restricted free agents, etc.

Obviously you make your offer to Lebron, but if he doesn't sign what's your next option that you prefer much more than George?

It just underscores how much getting into that top 4 could help jumpstart a legitimate rebuild.

Unless we get uber lucky and get Ayton or Bagley, I'd like to see a run at Capela.

Most combinations of the draft make sense with re-signing Lavine and going hard at Capela, then nurkic. Both are RFAs, nurkic is unlikely to get unmatched.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 11, 2018 -> 11:17 AM)
Aside from Lebron, who would you count as an elite player available in free agency next year?

CP3 - maybe Houston keeps him?

Demarcus Cousins - anyone else terrified of signing him

Isiah Thomas

DeAndre Jordan

Paul George

Then it tails off into a second tier with Avery Bradley, LaMarcus Aldridge,the guys who are restricted free agents, etc.

Obviously you make your offer to Lebron, but if he doesn't sign what's your next option that you prefer much more than George?

I thought Paul opted into his contract for next year as part of the trade to Houston.