2017-18 official NBA discussion thread

You can’t honestly tell me a team is very good at drafting when the best pick they made in the past 6 years is probably Paul Zipser (until we had the 7th pick this year), and traded 2 starters for a bench player, and sold another intriguing prospect for money.

I tried to argue with a friend the other day that from 2004-2011, the Bulls were the best drafting team in the NBA.

For recap, in that time:

Rose (#1), Noah (#9), Butler (#30), Mirotic (#23), Gibson (#26), Deng (#7), Gordon (#3), Thabo (#13), Asik (#36)

9 productive NBA players in a 7 year span, including 4 multi-time All-Stars, an MVP, MIP, DPOY, 6POY, is pretty stellar. Since then, they've fallen off hard.

His rebuttals were:

Golden State: Curry (#7), Klay (#11)

San Antonio: Kawhi (#15), Udrih (#28), Splitter (#28), Hill (#26), Blair (#37)

Dallas: ???

Kawhi and Curry are the two best players in there.

Now Lauri looks like a turn towards the better. They loved Dunn last year. Portis is finally playing like not garbage. But they definitely aren't drafting like they did in their heyday.

QUOTE (Quin @ Dec 23, 2017 -> 02:30 AM)
I tried to argue with a friend the other day that from 2004-2011, the Bulls were the best drafting team in the NBA.

For recap, in that time:

Rose (#1), Noah (#9), Butler (#30), Mirotic (#23), Gibson (#26), Deng (#7), Gordon (#3), Thabo (#13), Asik (#36)

9 productive NBA players in a 7 year span, including 4 multi-time All-Stars, an MVP, MIP, DPOY, 6POY, is pretty stellar. Since then, they've fallen off hard.

His rebuttals were:

Golden State: Curry (#7), Klay (#11)

San Antonio: Kawhi (#15), Udrih (#28), Splitter (#28), Hill (#26), Blair (#37)

Dallas: ???

Kawhi and Curry are the two best players in there.

Now Lauri looks like a turn towards the better. They loved Dunn last year. Portis is finally playing like not garbage. But they definitely aren't drafting like they did in their heyday.

https://www.blogabull.com/2015/5/18/8610703...-matt-lloyd-and

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 25, 2017 -> 12:43 PM)
I just noticed this. As if seeing the Cavs vs GSW finals 3 years in a row wasnt enough, NBA decided to schedule the same matchup 3 years in a row on Christmas. They really need to come up with something better for the general audience.

There really is nothing better than that matchup for the majority of NBA fans, in my opinion. Two best players in the world that play the same position on the two best teams in the NBA and it seems like the teams legit dislike each other. By far the most intriguing matchup.

Edited by Da_Goob

QUOTE (Da_Goob @ Dec 25, 2017 -> 09:29 PM)
There really is nothing better than that matchup for the majority of NBA fans, in my opinion. Two best players in the world that play the same position on the two best teams in the NBA and it seems like the teams legit dislike each other. By far the most intriguing matchup.

You must have a different definition of intriguing. These teams played 20 or so Finals games in the last 3 years, and 2 Christmas games before this one. Warriors have won 80% of the games when both teams are healthy. I think all the intrigue are out the window by now, and that not factoring in the loss of Kyrie. Why not showcase a game with the two best players from last season, with the new stars they added to their teams in the offseason. That is by far the most intriguing matchup to me.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 26, 2017 -> 08:24 AM)
You must have a different definition of intriguing. These teams played 20 or so Finals games in the last 3 years, and 2 Christmas games before this one. Warriors have won 80% of the games when both teams are healthy. I think all the intrigue are out the window by now, and that not factoring in the loss of Kyrie. Why not showcase a game with the two best players from last season, with the new stars they added to their teams in the offseason. That is by far the most intriguing matchup to me.

It's about ratings, and no matter what your opinion on the match up is, even if it was totally legit, Lebron, Curry, KD...those guys bring viewers. There may be a more intriguing match up elsewhere, but not as many people will watch it. Besides, they now have about 4 or 5 games on all day long, so you get to look at plenty of other games if you don't like the marquee choice. Back when the Bulls were at their peak, there may have been 1 in the afternoon, and one at night, at most, and the same teams would be on year after year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 26, 2017 -> 08:31 AM)
It's about ratings, and no matter what your opinion on the match up is, even if it was totally legit, Lebron, Curry, KD...those guys bring viewers. There may be a more intriguing match up elsewhere, but not as many people will watch it. Besides, they now have about 4 or 5 games on all day long, so you get to look at plenty of other games if you don't like the marquee choice. Back when the Bulls were at their peak, there may have been 1 in the afternoon, and one at night, at most, and the same teams would be on year after year.

Over the last 30 years the Christmas games never repeated from the previous year, except for the Miami - Lakers games with the Kobe Shaq rivalry during the mid 2000s, and those teams never met in the Finals. Overexposing these matchups may have a slight boost in rating on Christmas, but hurt the playoff ratings because fans have seen it far too many times on free TV. I'm fine with them putting on this game once or maybe 2 years in a row, but 3 is way too much given how much they have played.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Dec 26, 2017 -> 12:05 PM)
Over the last 30 years the Christmas games never repeated from the previous year, except for the Miami - Lakers games with the Kobe Shaq rivalry during the mid 2000s, and those teams never met in the Finals. Overexposing these matchups may have a slight boost in rating on Christmas, but hurt the playoff ratings because fans have seen it far too many times on free TV. I'm fine with them putting on this game once or maybe 2 years in a row, but 3 is way too much given how much they have played.

Those 2 teams will play 2x each regular season. That number isn't changing because of the christmas games.

QUOTE (Quin @ Dec 26, 2017 -> 09:59 PM)
Trade Portis and Lopez ASAP. Reevaluate Niko on the 15, trade Holiday then.

Trade Niko keep Portis. Portis has that grit, edge to come off the bench on a good team I think. He can score and rebound the ball, plus he's younger and cheaper.

Also, thanks to LaVine's RFA status, this is the off-season to go for a big FA.

If they could draft MPJ/Know/Bridges, sign DMC...

PG - Dunn/Grant

SG - LaVine/Valentine

SF - Draft pick / Nwaba

PF - Lauri/Niko

C - DMC/Corpse of Felicio

I could roll with that.

So, watched first full bulls game of the season last night. It was just bland. There was so little exciting about the Bulls style of ball it made them hard to watch, and they still won the game. They won because they didn't turn the ball over, they didn't make mistakes, they let the other team make mistakes and just played normal basketball. There wasn't huge amounts of ball movement. There wasn't spectacular plays. There were no great feats of strength. They just played decent basketball and let the other team make more mistakes.

I hate to say this...but that looked like a very well coached team winning the game because they were following a coaches formula to the letter.

QUOTE (Quin @ Dec 26, 2017 -> 11:27 PM)
Portis' attitude and defense both suck, but his value is skyrocketing at the moment due to the winning.

He makes me think of Boozer, but if Boozer had an insufferable attitude. Niko can play new age center next to Lauri.

Niko is a better shooter, but Portis is definitely the better defender and can still shoot the ball. Have you seen Niko play defense, 0 toughness, and would get eaten alive down low. That's why I think Portis can be because of the style he plays.

Also, how does Portis' attitude suck? Because he punched a guy?

Edited by SoxPride18

QUOTE (Quin @ Dec 26, 2017 -> 11:34 PM)
Also, thanks to LaVine's RFA status, this is the off-season to go for a big FA.

If they could draft MPJ/Know/Bridges, sign DMC...

PG - Dunn/Grant

SG - LaVine/Valentine

SF - Draft pick / Nwaba

PF - Lauri/Niko

C - DMC/Corpse of Felicio

I could roll with that.

We better finish where we draft before Bridges is an option. I want one of Bagley or Young, although I'm not allowed on the Young bandwagon, per Rowand44