Can Rodon become a quality mlb starter?

Dominikk85

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 05:11 PM)
-- He's never the same guy

That would royally suck but we're honestly insulated against it.

Kopech

Giolito

Lopez

Dunning

Hansen

Cease

Adams

Stephens

Guerrero

Clarkin

Fulmer

And there could be another ace potential SP coming in the next draft. We're a damned pitching factory and I'm sure we'll be fine. The biggest issues have been positional players and overall depth pieces... both are areas that we're also making great strides in.

We'll also have a boat load of cash coming up.

I'd prefer of course for Rodon to be healthy and reach his TOR potential... but we've got so many things going in the right direction... from the farm to upcoming drafts to budgetary flexibility.

Go Sox. f*** it all.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 07:49 PM)
It's somewhere in the middle. He probably had some minor soreness that in a playoff race is something you play through, but when your 30 games back and trying to get a better draft pick you shut him down - both to help the draft & to not take even the slightest risk.

Basic question in reply and I don't know the answer to - do you really have 2 MRIs with inconclusive results if it's "soreness you'd have pitched through if it were the playoffs"?

That sounds like the same question we'd have asked at the start of the season for him when there was nothing wrong but soreness and he missed half the season for that. So at least color me skeptical, but maybe?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 08:51 PM)
Basic question in reply and I don't know the answer to - do you really have 2 MRIs with inconclusive results if it's "soreness you'd have pitched through if it were the playoffs"?

That sounds like the same question we'd have asked at the start of the season for him when there was nothing wrong but soreness and he missed half the season for that. So at least color me skeptical, but maybe?

This is my thinking as well. MRIs are fairly routine, but they still cost real money and real time and aren't exactly fun things to go through as a player. They scheduled one so quickly (noting it in the press release), shut him down so quickly (again, noted it in the press release...he won't pitch again in '17) and sought a 2nd opinion so quickly -- it scares me.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 07:59 PM)
This is my thinking as well. MRIs are fairly routine, but they still cost real money and real time and aren't exactly fun things to go through as a player. They scheduled one so quickly (noting it in the press release), shut him down so quickly (again, noted it in the press release...he won't pitch again in '17) and sought a 2nd opinion so quickly -- it scares me.

Based on ptatc's usual responses I think the answer is going to be "there's so much muscle it's hard to perfectly see everything and that means they'd look twice just to be sure they didn't see anything", but I also think that it might struggle to make out tiny bits of actual damage for the same reason.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 07:51 PM)

I wear no tin foil, but they could be making it seem like a real issue and not DL tanking funny business? Also could just be extra cautious due to early season issues

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 07:51 PM)

The answer to this question is yes. 2 primary reasons. 1. All pitcher's shoulders are different than the norm. But what is significant and what is not? 2. MRI are notoriously poor in differentiating "inflammation." It all just shows up as white ( or all black depending on the contrast and weighting used).

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 10:36 PM)
The answer to this question is yes. 2 primary reasons. 1. All pitcher's shoulders are different than the norm. But what is significant and what is not? 2. MRI are notoriously poor in differentiating "inflammation." It all just shows up as white ( or all black depending on the contrast and weighting used).

In your experience, what injuries does an inconclusive (read: shows no obvious damage) MRI usually rule out? In the inverse, what injuries usually show up on MRIs of the shoulder?

Thanks, I'll take your answer off the air. I did some Google fu, but I'd rather get it from our own expert.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 09:46 PM)
In your experience, what injuries does an inconclusive (read: shows no obvious damage) MRI usually rule out? In the inverse, what injuries usually show up on MRIs of the shoulder?

Thanks, I'll take your answer off the air. I did some Google fu, but I'd rather get it from our own expert.

There really isn't a single answer to the question, otherwise they would know exactly what was going on.

However, the most injuries that involve generic widespread inflammation are the undersurface of the rotator cuff and the bicep attachment to labrum.

a capsular issue referred to earlier could indirectly cause this by being too loose but it would not directly show up as inflammation.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 10:52 PM)
There really isn't a single answer to the question, otherwise they would know exactly what was going on.

However, the most injuries that involve generic widespread inflammation are the undersurface of the rotator cuff and the bicep attachment to labrum.

a capsular issue referred to earlier could indirectly cause this by being too loose but it would not directly show up as inflammation.

Thanks, this is info google could not provide.

So it's most likely not the capsule (thank god) but it still could be a torn rotator cuff or labrum? Obviously not a full tear, as a other diagnostics would show that, like strength and ROM tests.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Sep 12, 2017 -> 10:07 PM)
Thanks, this is info google could not provide.

So it's most likely not the capsule (thank god) but it still could be a torn rotator cuff or labrum? Obviously not a full tear, as a other diagnostics would show that, like strength and ROM tests.

It could be. However, those are fairly easy to find even on MRI, if they are large tears. There could be small ones though. Most likely it's just some irritation.

This is a problem though as they obviously can't figure out what it is and don't know exactly how to treat it. There is something going on to continually cause the irritation. Rest alone won't solve it.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 09:13 AM)
It could be. However, those are fairly easy to find even on MRI, if they are large tears. There could be small ones though. Most likely it's just some irritation.

This is a problem though as they obviously can't figure out what it is and don't know exactly how to treat it. There is something going on to continually cause the irritation. Rest alone won't solve it.

Is this a scenario where PRP could be helpful in the healing process?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 09:21 AM)
Is this a scenario where PRP could be helpful in the healing process?

PRP, platelet rich plasma, (because someone asked it's where they take the person's blood and spinout the platelets or healing initiators and inject it into an area to "increase" the healing potential of the tissue) would probably not work here at least initially. That is mostly used in muscle and sometimes tendon injuries. With this unspecified source of inflammation, I would doubt they go with it. If they feel it's most likely the rotator cuff they might use it.

Rodon said the MRI was the same as the first one. I never read where it said it was inconclusive, but if it were horrible, he wouldn't have pitched at all this year, and wouldn't have been throwing 98. He also said he would be pitching next year. If the White Sox were freaking out, it probably would have leaked. I think it's debatable whether or not he actually had an MRI the second time. Maybe Hahn called Boras and said maybe Carlos isn't feeling quite right and could use the rest of the season off. We can look at some prospects and maybe lose a few more games bettering the team for Carlos when he pitches and it matters. Boras gives Carlos a call, and he isn't quite feeling right. 2 days prior, his arm felt great.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 01:46 PM)
Rodon said the MRI was the same as the first one. I never read where it said it was inconclusive, but if it were horrible, he wouldn't have pitched at all this year, and wouldn't have been throwing 98. He also said he would be pitching next year. If the White Sox were freaking out, it probably would have leaked. I think it's debatable whether or not he actually had an MRI the second time. Maybe Hahn called Boras and said maybe Carlos isn't feeling quite right and could use the rest of the season off. We can look at some prospects and maybe lose a few more games bettering the team for Carlos when he pitches and it matters. Boras gives Carlos a call, and he isn't quite feeling right. 2 days prior, his arm felt great.

The inconclusive part is that they found no structural damage but general inflammation by their reports. Well inflammation really is structural damage (albeit at a physiologic level) and there isn't "general" inflammation. Something needs to be inflamed.

It could be nothing but the fact that it reoccurred means something is going on.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 12:12 PM)
Holy cow the info that ptatc shares with the board, much appreciated. Do you do consultations as well, lol?

He's my favorite poster on this site - hands down... most valuable and unique insight I've ever seen in a public forum. :wub:

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
He's my favorite poster on this site - hands down... most valuable and unique insight I've ever seen in a public forum. :wub:

Thanks, but it's only because I'm old and being working with athlete's for a long time. :lol:

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 12:35 PM)
Thanks, but it's only because I'm old and being working with athlete's for a long time. :lol:

Yea man - it's rare to have someone so experienced in a highly valued specialized facet of the game. You the man, man.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)

Yeah man, agreed. He gives guys like us a good visual of the injury, how it's happened and what we might expect. Won't see stuff like that from Levine article. :D

QUOTE (ptatc @ Sep 13, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)

Well, your experience is teaching us younger fellas a few things so by all means keep sharing. It actually gives me a little insight to my own aches and pains. :lol:

QUOTE (hi8is @ Sep 14, 2017 -> 11:26 AM)
A wall at an angle... hand went about 3 feet deep and met the corner beam. Duh.

Smooth move ex-lax, lol. Mine was a craftsman tool box. Took forever to heal and when it did, the bone healed with an arch to serve as reminder of how stupid I can be. :lol: