Reinsdorf Needed Convincing to Trade with Cubs

GGajewski18

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 05:23 PM)
It hurts JR's business to help the Cubs win. It's as simple as that. However as you can see he did come to the same conclusion you did. Take the better deal. It will still hurt his business. There are articles every about what trades were the best and worst between the teams. This trades will be discussed for decades if it helps the Cubs to win another world series.

That's the entire argument here. I'm saying it doesn't impact it nearly as much as people are claiming. The type of Sox fan that's going to start watching/cheering for the Cubs because they're good now was not a huge revenue producer for the Sox anyway. The Sox compete with themselves for revenue: If they have a s***ty team, people don't show up or watch. If they have a good team, people show up and watch. The Cubs don't have a big impact on that overall number.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 05:33 PM)
Fine, if the Sox build a 50 year dynasty and open a ballpark in a neighborhood people want to visit for "the experience" then yes, they can take over Chicago from the Cubs. Will that ever happen in anyone here's lifetime? No, no chance.

The Sox have made the playoffs 5 times in 58 years. You aren't getting anywhere with that stat. The fans don't have much entertainment at the game or outside of the stadium. People go to the games and then have to go home. So unless they give fans a reason to come to the park outside of the game of baseball, they better win. It's as simple as that. They don't need to win every year but once every 12 year average of making the playoffs will not bring fans to the park with nothing to do except watch the team play. I go to games every year no matter what but I can't fault the typical fan for not going to the south side to watch and then go home.

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 05:38 PM)
That's the entire argument here. I'm saying it doesn't impact it nearly as much as people are claiming. The type of Sox fan that's going to start watching/cheering for the Cubs because they're good now was not a huge revenue producer for the Sox anyway. The Sox compete with themselves for revenue: If they have a s***ty team, people don't show up or watch. If they have a good team, people show up and watch. The Cubs don't have a big impact on that overall number.

I am willing to bet most Sox fans don't know the radio station the Sox play on. You don't think that's a negative for the organization?

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 05:42 PM)
The Sox have made the playoffs 5 times in 58 years. You aren't getting anywhere with that stat. The fans don't have much entertainment at the game or outside of the stadium. People go to the games and then have to go home. So unless they give fans a reason to come to the park outside of the game of baseball, they better win. It's as simple as that. They don't need to win every year but once every 12 year average of making the playoffs will not bring fans to the park with nothing to do except watch the team play. I go to games every year no matter what but I can't fault the typical fan for not going to the south side to watch and then go home.

So are we still debating or did we just become best friends? You seem to be agreeing with me.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 05:43 PM)
I am willing to bet most Sox fans don't know the radio station the Sox play on. You don't think that's a negative for the organization?

I no longer understand what point you're trying to make against mine.

Edited by Jenksy Cat

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 05:48 PM)
So are we still debating or did we just become best friends? You seem to be agreeing with me.

I no longer understand what point you're trying to make against mine.

The radio quote shows what the cubs winning can do to the Sox. The Sox were booted off of the most popular sports station in Chicago and replaced by the Cubs. The Sox are going to suffer because fans don't know of or care about the new station. So to say things like marketing, revenue, viewership, etc doesn't have a big impact is not true. As the example I gave shows, the Cubs can continue to kick us down the ladder.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 05:18 PM)
Die hard cubs and sox fans hate each other.

Casual cubs and sox fans don't care and can switch at a moments notice

The thousands of people who move to chicago don't care about either team and view spend their time and money on the winning team

Children growing up will either support who their dad tells them too or pick the winning team.

Businesses will give their time and money to the winning team

Sponsors will give their time and money to the winning team

So when we talk about fan allegiance and marketing we are talking about everyone I mentioned except the die hards. I hope that helps.

Again, you are generalizing. I don't believe this is the case. There was a quite a while when I did genuinely hate the Cubs, but I guess just through growing up and realizing that sports are not the end all, be all, I took a step back and realized that hating a sports franchise for being in the same city as the team I root for was juvenile, and hating a person because they cheer for that other team is even moreso.

I understand why we as fans or Reinsdorf as the ownership representative would not want them to do well, or to try and avoid giving up too much of the market share, but flat out saying you "hate" them is outrageous to me.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 26, 2017 -> 07:08 PM)
The radio quote shows what the cubs winning can do to the Sox. The Sox were booted off of the most popular sports station in Chicago and replaced by the Cubs. The Sox are going to suffer because fans don't know of or care about the new station. So to say things like marketing, revenue, viewership, etc doesn't have a big impact is not true. As the example I gave shows, the Cubs can continue to kick us down the ladder.

The Sox didn't get booted out by the Cubs. WSCR bid on the radio rights for the Sox, they just chose another station, which opened up the opportunity for the Cubs to fill the void. This all happened before the Cubs won the WS.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)
The Sox didn't get booted out by the Cubs. WSCR bid on the radio rights for the Sox, they just chose another station, which opened up the opportunity for the Cubs to fill the void. This all happened before the Cubs won the WS.

So we left the most popular sports station for Chicago sports for some no name station that no one cares about, and the mega Cubs instantly jump on the opportunity? Something sounds fishy about that. The Cubs knew a few years back that they would win a title as did most people who followed their rebuild. I just think that was a bad move for the Sox as it takes them a little more out of the public eye.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:03 AM)

The cubs were on the SCORE's sister station in 2015. There was no way they were going to stay there while the SOX stayed on the SCORE.

Both Reinsdorf controlled teams are on the same station which no baseball or basketball fan under the age 60 listens to other than for the game.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
The cubs were on the SCORE's sister station in 2015. There was no way they were going to stay there while the SOX stayed on the SCORE.

Both Reinsdorf controlled teams are on the same station which no baseball or basketball fan under the age 60 listens to other than for the game.

That's not getting booted. JR et al went elsewhere. CBS had a one time opportunity to move the Cubs to the Score and they did. CBS would rather have had both.

QUOTE (SonofaRoache @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:27 AM)
So we left the most popular sports station for Chicago sports for some no name station that no one cares about, and the mega Cubs instantly jump on the opportunity? Something sounds fishy about that. The Cubs knew a few years back that they would win a title as did most people who followed their rebuild. I just think that was a bad move for the Sox as it takes them a little more out of the public eye.

Cubs didn't jump. CBS moved the Cubs to the Score.

Edited by Sox-35th

As soon as White Sox merchandise starts showing up again in the stores, then you'll know how effective the rebuild is...

If a Maddon (non-player) jersey outsells Moncada, that's not the greatest starting point. At any rate, we'll see exactly how the broadcasting rights deals for the two franchise in 2019 split things up. 60/40. 65/35. 70/30, etc.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:35 AM)
That's not getting booted. JR et al went elsewhere. CBS had a one time opportunity to move the Cubs to the Score and they did. CBS would rather have had both.

I didn't say they were booted but I would speculate that the Sox would be moved to WBBM and the Cubs would move the SCORE or some hybrid of the SCORE covering both and WBBM taking the conflicts/Sox like CSN+