BIG PELF TO THE RESCUE!!! July 27th Game Thread: White Sox

chetkincaid

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:56 PM)
By season's end should be the worst team in modern Sox history, no hyperbole there. Sox lost 102 games in 1932, 101 in 1948 and 106 in 1970. Just 3 teams in Sox history have lost 100 games. Very sad.

I remember 1970 all too well. 56 -106. I never thought I'd have to live through a Sox season that bad again.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 04:00 AM)
I remember 1970 all too well. 56 -106. I never thought I'd have to live through a Sox season that bad again.

It's really disgusting to have a team this bad. Team has won one game since Q left.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 09:18 PM)
It's way more disgusting to spend the money they did from 2009-2016 and not make the playoffs once.

In a division where big market resources should vastly outstrip KC, Cleveland, Minnesota and Detroit...Illitch notwithstanding.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:32 PM)
Yet we are all still here posting about them day after day, go figure.

I was going to let his comment go, but I can't help it.

Barring an horrible crime or racket or something like that, an organization that breaks an 88 year WS drought probably shouldn't be called "disgusting"

QUOTE (harkness @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:45 PM)
the tank is on for sure....

However I'm not sure I've seem many teams in my life as bad as we are now..

It doesn't really matter.. but wow is this team horribad.

White Sox teams? There's a baseball team this bad almost every year. Good organizations know when to blow it up and know what it takes to rebuild. Tons of them are doing it.

QUOTE (harkness @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 03:45 AM)
the tank is on for sure....

However I'm not sure I've seem many teams in my life as bad as we are now..

It doesn't really matter.. but wow is this team horribad.

I don't know why people say it doesn't matter. All seasons go down in the history books and if the rebuild doesn't result in excellence you better believe Jerry will remember the embarrassing records in 2017 and 2018. Better hope the lineup of Eloy in left, Robert in center, Rutherford in right; Burger at third, TA at short, Moncada at 2B and Abreu at first and Collins catcher and Avi DH to go with 5-6 outstanding arms equals 100 victory seasons.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:49 PM)
I don't know why people say it doesn't matter. All seasons go down in the history books and if the rebuild doesn't result in excellence you better believe Jerry will remember the embarrassing records in 2017 and 2018. Better hope the lineup of Eloy in left, Robert in center, Rutherford in right; Burger at third, TA at short, Moncada at 2B and Abreu at first and Collins catcher and Avi DH to go with 5-6 outstanding arms equals 100 victory seasons.

You forgot likely two more high first round picks.

QUOTE (Sox-35th @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:30 PM)
All part of the plan.

I liked it better when the plan was to trade our star veterans for young major-league ready or on the cusp of being major-league ready studs. Remember last year when Hahn was reportedly holding out in talks for guys like Mookie Betts, Benintendi, Carlos Correa, etc.? The consensus then was that teams would be willing to trade young players in the off season but not in the heat of a pennant race.

Well, I guess teams held out on giving up higher level prospects for proven young stars like Sale, Eaton and Quintana so Hahn settled for trading for younger, rawer prospects who certainly have upside but also have a greater chance of not making it in the big leagues.

Now the Sox are in a situation that they are willing to be terrible for a few years waiting for these prospects to develop. But if these guys don't develop as planned, the Sox are going to be terrible for many more years.

Edited by South Side Fireworks Man

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 28, 2017 -> 04:54 AM)
I liked it better when the plan was to trade our star veterans for young major-league ready or on the cusp of being major-league ready studs. Remember last year when Hahn was reportedly holding out in talks for guys like Mookie Betts, Benintendi, Carlos Correa, etc.? The consensus then was that teams would be willing to trade young players in the off season but not in the heat of a pennant race.

Well, I guess teams held out on giving up higher level prospects for proven young stars like Sale, Eaton and Quintana so Hahn settled for trading for younger, rawer prospects who certainly have upside but also have a greater chance of not making it in the big leagues.

Now the Sox are in a situation that they are willing to be terrible for a few years waiting for these prospects to develop. But if these guys don't develop as planned, the Sox are going to be terrible for many more years.

You speak the truth.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:49 PM)

Most fans will remember the embarrassing seasons of 2009-2016, those were far far worse.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 27, 2017 -> 10:05 PM)
It's really disgusting to have a team this bad. Team has won one game since Q left.

The Sox are in a full on rebuild and have sold off nearly all of their valuable MLB assets, what do you seriously expect? If you are not going to be competing for the playoffs, then it is best to be as awful as you can be to stockpile talent via the draft.

Look at how the Cubs built a large chunk of their foundation. They sucked for 5 years and are reaping the benefits now.

Willson Contreras International FA in 2009 as a 17 year old.

Anthony Rizzo traded to Cubs for Andrew Cashner in Jan 2012 after 71-91 season in 2011.

Javier Baez drafted with 9th pick in 2011 draft after Cubs went 75-87 the previous year.

Addison Russell traded to Cubs for Jeff Samardzija in July 2014. Cubs went 73-89 in 2014.

Kris Bryant drafted with 2nd pick in 2013 draft after Cubs went 61-101 the previous year.

Kyle Schwarber drafted with 4th pick in 2014 draft after Cubs went 66-96 the previous year.

Albert Almora drafted with 6th pick in 2012 draft after Cubs went 71-91 the previous year.

Ian Happ drafted with the 9th pick in 2015 draft after Cubs went 73-89 the previous year.

From 2010 until 2014 the Cubs went:

2010 - 75-87

2011 - 71-91

2012 - 61-101 Epstein's 1st season as GM.

2013 - 66-96

2014 - 73-89

The Cubs had 5 Top 9 picks, and 2 in the Top 4. Do you think Cubs fans cared about going 61-101 in 2012, after these last 3 seasons? They think Theo Epstein is a genius.

The Cubs weren't the only team to completely suck for a bunch of years, stock pile young talent and win a World Series. Look at the Royals. They were built on 3 top 3 picks who turned out to be All Stars (Gordon, Moustakas, & Hosmer), a couple of international signings that turned out great for them (Perez, Ventura, & Herrera), and 2 key pieces from trading off a Cy Young winner in Zack Greinke (Cain & Escobar).

C - Perez International FA in 2006 as a 16 year old.

1B - Hosmer 3rd pick in 2008 draft.

SS - Escobar traded to Royals for Zack Greinke in Dec. 2010.

3B - Moustakas 2nd pick in 2007 draft.

LF - Alex Gordon 2nd pick in 2005 draft.

CF - Lorenzo Cain traded to Royals for Zack Greinke in Dec. 2010.

P - Ventura International FA in 2008 as a 17 year old.

P - Wade Davis traded to Royals in Dec 2012 after going 72-90.

P - Herrera International FA in 2006 as a 16 year old.

Look at the Astros currently, they have the best record in the AL by 11.5 games. They went 74-88, 76-86, 56-106, 55-107, 51-111, 70-92 from 2009-2014.

1B - Gurriel International FA in 2016 as a 32 year old.

2B - Altuve International FA in 2007 as a 16 year old.

SS - Correa 1st pick in 2012 draft after the Astros went 56-106 the previous year.

3B - Bregman 2nd pick in 2015 draft after the Astros failed to sign Brady Aiken in 2014.

UT - Marwin Gonzalez traded to Astros in 2011 for Marco Duarte.

CF - Springer 11th pick in 2011 draft after the Astros went 76-86 the previous year.

P - Marisnick traded to Astros in 2014 for Jarred Cosart

P - McCullers 41st pick in 2012 draft.

P - Musgrove traded to Astros in 2012 for JA Happ.

P - Brad Peacock traded to Astros in 2013 for Jed Lowrie.

They also have OF Kyle Tucker in AA tearing it up as a result of the 5th pick in the 2015 draft.

The Sox meanwhile have a loaded farm right now.

C - Collins, Zavala, Skoug

1B - Gillaspie, Sheets

2B - Moncada

SS - ?

3B - Burger

OF - Jimenez, Adolfo

OF - Robert, Tilson, Basabe

OF - Rutherford, Cordell

RHP - Kopech, Lopez, Giolito, Cease, Hansen, Adams, Dunning, Burdi, Fulmer, Stephens

LHP - Stephens, Clarkin

We should get a Top 3 pick in the 2018 draft, and hopefully we get another Top 3 pick in the 2019 draft. I really hope they are elite position players that we get as well(Turang & Witt Jr.). In 2019 we should be ready to start to be competitive again, and should be set for a long time.

Look at some of the top picks dating back to 2004:

2004 - Verlander 2nd pick

2005 - Justin Upton 1st pick, Alex Gordon 2nd pick, Ryan Zimmerman 4th pick, Ryan Braun 5th pick, Tulo 7th pick

2006 - Longoria 3rd pick, Kershaw 7th pick

2007 - Price 1st pick, Moustakas 2nd pick, Wieters 5th pick

2008 - Hosmer 3rd pick, Posey 5th pick

2009 - Strasburg 1st pick

2010 - Harper 1st pick, Machado 3rd

2011 - Cole 1st pick, Rendon 6th pick, Lindor 8th pick

2012 - Correa 1st pick

2013 - Bryant 2nd pick

2014 - Rodon 3rd pick

2015 - Bregman 2nd pick, Rogers 3rd pick, Tucker 5th pick, Benintendi 7th pick. The Sox had the 8th pick (Fulmer), and 2 more wins than Boston.

If the Sox can hit on a superstar type of player with their upcoming high draft picks, coupled with the talent we have in the minors, and payroll flexibility we should be loaded for a very long, long time. If that means we have to play awful baseball now for 2 years, so be it. We haven't been to the playoffs in 9 seasons.