Jose Abreu accomplishment thread

greg775

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
Just for the fun of it, I checked out some names. Paulie was a no, Magglio is a yes from 1999-2002 and was one RBI away in 03 from 5 years in a row.

Those were great hitters. I wonder if they would have been able to do that if they played on the teams Abreu played on. I think Frank would have walked 250 times a year. Maggs was great, but he didn't have .285 OBP guys in front of him, but he probably was a better hitter than Abreu. Those were different times. I think the 2000 White Sox a a line up that featured 8 guys with .800+ OPS.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 02:12 PM)
Just for the fun of it, I checked out some names. Paulie was a no, Magglio is a yes from 1999-2002 and was one RBI away in 03 from 5 years in a row.

He left the White Sox but Carlos Lee did it for 5 straight years, and was one RBI away from making it 7 years.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 02:36 PM)
Adam Dunn did it 4 years in a row and 6 out of 7. Then he switched leagues and hit for 11 HR and 42 RBI. :crying

Yeah I didn't bother searching him because he was only with us 4 years and I knew the one year was awful already disqualifying himself haha.

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 01:48 PM)
It is kind of amazing that Jose is both our biggest contract of all time, and one of our best free agent contracts of all time. Congrats to a true leader and all around great guy!

Now that's a good post. Congrats to Jose and no need for the word "but ...."

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 01:29 PM)
I read where the Cuban league is A ball or maybe AA. Plus he was adjusting his entire life in a new country without his family.

He was only the 3rd player ever. Others have come from other countries, and he's the first to do that. It is a big accomplishment. If its such a technicality how come no other foreign player has done it?

Call it what you want -- the number of foreign players that came to America in their primes is a FRACTION of the pool of players being referred too in this stat.

I'm NOT saying Jose Abreu isn't good or hasn't accomplished anything; that his trial and burdens aren't heavy -- but THIS stat is basically made-up in an attempt to pander, and I hate when people do that. It's manipulating numbers to try to elicit a reaction. It's almost clickbait. It's just not necessary. There are plenty of reasons to appreciate Jose Abreu without having to throw out "HISTORIC" crap that's misleading.

I'm not dissing Abreu, I'm complaining about bad journalism.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 02:56 PM)
Call it what you want -- the number of foreign players that came to America in their primes is a FRACTION of the pool of players being referred too in this stat.

I'm NOT saying Jose Abreu isn't good or hasn't accomplished anything; that his trial and burdens aren't heavy -- but THIS stat is basically made-up in an attempt to pander, and I hate when people do that. It's manipulating numbers to try to elicit a reaction. It's almost clickbait. It's just not necessary. There are plenty of reasons to appreciate Jose Abreu without having to throw out "HISTORIC" crap that's misleading.

I'm not dissing Abreu, I'm complaining about bad journalism.

The problem isn't with the journalism, as that is solid. The problem is with who MLB classifies as a "rookie". As long as they call professionals from outside of the US "rookies" when they make their MLB debut, this will continue to be a thing.

It might be just the number eminor is complaining about , like is there really a big difference between 98 RBI and 100, or if they made it 30 HR instead of 25, he isn't in the club, but in 2014 11 players hit 25 and 100. In 2015, again Abreu was 1 of 11. In 2016 he was 1 of 20. This year it looks like there may be near 30. It's still pretty, pretty, pretty, good, especially since he was on some awful offensive teams.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 03:11 PM)
It might be just the number eminor is complaining about , like is there really a big difference between 98 RBI and 100, or if they made it 30 HR instead of 25, he isn't in the club, but in 2014 11 players hit 25 and 100. In 2015, again Abreu was 1 of 11. In 2016 he was 1 of 20. This year it looks like there may be near 30. It's still pretty, pretty, pretty, good, especially since he was on some awful offensive teams.

1 of 11 players in a given year, 1 of 20 players. That's the point. He's among the top hitters in the league every year, but that's a lot different putting him up there with Joe DiMaggio and Albert Pujols,when though he came in the league 7 years older than they did.

Carlos Lee, Maggilio Ordonez, Albert Belle, and Adam Dunn all had the same streak when they were in the same age range as Jose is now. They just entered the league at a younger age, as did nearly every other hitter.

QUOTE (Quin @ Sep 25, 2017 -> 02:03 PM)
Ichiro, Gurriel, Cespedes, Iguchi, Fukudome, etc.

I'd say a lot of Japanese and Cuban players do. And none of them did what Jose did.

Not sure about the others but wasn't Ichiro about the same age as abreu for their MLB "rookie" year?

A guy spends 3-4 years in AA/AAA and comes up to the Majors at age 26/27 nobody has a problem calling him a rookie. Another guy spends the same amount of time in a foreign league, whose skill level is equal or lower than AAA, before making it to the Majors and those same people don't think he's a rookie. Where's the logic in that?

Edited by lasttriptotulsa

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 26, 2017 -> 03:41 PM)
Asterisk

Jose Abreu has 33 home runs! My gawd. I like it.

So let's try it again, for the next 3 pages of thread, let's PRAISE the man.

I'll start with ... "Way to go Jose. You have had one helluva season and I just love your approach at the plate. You are killing the baseball! Yes I'd pay 8 bucks for a hotdog and 30 for parking if I was told you were gonna get 3 hits like tonite." I love Jose Abreu. Congrats big guy!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 04:40 PM)
Jose, I like that you play for the White Sox and that you are a nice person.

I'll take it. OK post.

Man this is a mean board. No love for a 33-homer guy and 100 plus ribbie guy. The guy is a stud. There's always something. Just cause he was an older rookie. Damn, it's a tough crowd here refusing to praise anybody but one of the young guys Hahn got in a trade or Robert. (not everybody but the majority). He attacked the baseball (again) last night.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2017 -> 12:09 PM)
I'll take it. OK post.

Man this is a mean board. No love for a 33-homer guy and 100 plus ribbie guy. The guy is a stud. There's always something. Just cause he was an older rookie. Damn, it's a tough crowd here refusing to praise anybody but one of the young guys Hahn got in a trade or Robert. (not everybody but the majority). He attacked the baseball (again) last night.

Greg, if you seriously think that there is no love for Jose Abreu on this board, then I suggest you read more posts.