Realignment/Expansion

KrankinSox

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 12:55 AM)
Maybe there's something in missing but I don't see where you're getting 27 games from because that's not what the post proposes.

I'm using 27 games as an example of what they would have to do to lessen the chances of a division winner having a losing record some years.

27x3=81, and the other 81 games vs different teams. Even then, a division winner could certainly win under .500. Nobody wants that.

Bottom line, the more 4-team divisions you have, the higher the chance there will be a 4-team grouping that is all unworthy of making the playoffs. It just isn't feasible in baseball.

The proposal Ringolsby presents could work, but is bad for different reasons--too many off days and the end of leagues being the two worst.

Edited by flavum

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 09:38 AM)
I'm all for keep the Leagues, eliminate the divisions, get rid of the stupid Wild Card game, and top 4 records in each league in a balanced schedule get in to Playoffs.

I'm with you, but they aren't going backwards on the Wildcard Game. In a way, it's good for baseball to have a lot of teams chasing the 5th spot. Where they would get off the rails is if they just handed the 6th seed a postseason spot. That's way too boring. There needs to be some heartbreak at the end of the season.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 01:23 PM)
I'm not sure 24, 25, or 26 makes the product better or worse...but here's what they could do...

Get creative when it comes to service time and using your own 40-man roster throughout the season, and submit a daily 22-man roster. The term "September Callup" needs to go away forever. The product needs to be consistent from Day 1 to Day 186.

Teams would just leave off the previous game's starter, the next game's starter, and the starter not scheduled to throw a side day that day.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 09:47 AM)
Teams would just leave off the previous game's starter, the next game's starter, and the starter not scheduled to throw a side day that day.

Correct. That's why I don't like when people say they should submit a 25-man roster in September. Again, they would just leave off the starting pitchers and use more bullpen arms.

QUOTE (Jack Parkman @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 10:00 AM)
If they aren't going to go backwards on the Wild Card game, then same and then top 5, and make the wild card best of 3.

If they can find the time, go for it. To me though, if they went to no divisions/close to a balanced schedule, the win totals between the 4th and 5th teams will usually be within 3 games. At that point, those teams are close enough over 162 to just play one game and the winner moves on. It sucks now because an 84-win team could beat a 92-win team in one game and move on. If it's 85 vs 87, or 84 vs 88, is it really that bad? I don't think so.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 19, 2017 -> 10:58 PM)
8 divisions of 4 teams wouldn't work in baseball, and they know that.

The format above would result in division winners with losing records.

It could, but that would be mitigated by playing the teams with the two worst record in each league against the two top WC teams to make sure the best teams are getting to the DLS.

Four 8 team divisions. Winner of each division get's a bye in first round of playoffs.

First round places 2nd & 3rd from each division against each other in 3 game series

Second round has winner of first round against the division winner in 5 game series

Championship round has the two winners from round two (playoff division winners) face off for the pennant

Adds one extra week to the season and get's rid of the stupid one game playoff

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 02:14 PM)
It could, but that would be mitigated by playing the teams with the two worst record in each league against the two top WC teams to make sure the best teams are getting to the DLS.

So you’re ok with a team under .500 having a shot at the World Series because of an arbitrary geographic location? Can’t happen in baseball. I’ll say it again- the more four-team groupings you have the more likely one of those groups will have four bad teams unworthy of the postseason.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 03:03 PM)
So you’re ok with a team under .500 having a shot at the World Series because of an arbitrary geographic location? Can’t happen in baseball. I’ll say it again- the more four-team groupings you have the more likely one of those groups will have four bad teams unworthy of the postseason.

Was it a bad thing when the 82-80 Cardinals won?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 05:29 PM)

They were 83-78, with one game not played...and that’s still over .500.

But yes, a “no divisions/balanced schedule” would always be better than the 5-team division/heavily unbalanced schedule they’ve had since 2001.

I was about to post that there should be 2 more 1 game wildcards but then looked at the standings and those 4 new teams woulda all be under .500 which is stupid.

I'd prefer the wildcard to be a 3 game series & seed playoffs based on record (division winners still get in but could be wildcard if they were in a s*** division). Playing 162 games to have it come down to 1 is a bit crazy + doesn't give the #1 seed that big of an advantage

QUOTE (Jenksy Cat @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 05:40 PM)
I was about to post that there should be 2 more 1 game wildcards but then looked at the standings and those 4 new teams woulda all be under .500 which is stupid.

I'd prefer the wildcard to be a 3 game series & seed playoffs based on record (division winners still get in but could be wildcard if they were in a s*** division). Playing 162 games to have it come down to 1 is a bit crazy + doesn't give the #1 seed that big of an advantage

Before they tried it I'd agree. Now that I've seen it? I love having it come down to 1 game for those 2 teams. Win your division and you have no complaints. Go into the game, pull out all the stops, and win it. It makes for great watching.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 05:29 PM)

For us it was funny because we got to laugh at Cubs fans, but overall it was absolutely dreadful for the sport and seeing a crap team like that win it all just makes 6 months of baseball pointless.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 20, 2017 -> 07:27 PM)
For us it was funny because we got to laugh at Cubs fans, but overall it was absolutely dreadful for the sport and seeing a crap team like that win it all just makes 6 months of baseball pointless.

They were not a crap team. They were banged up half the year and got healthy at the end.

So here's what I think they should do if they go to 32...

No divisions

No interleague play

Close to a balanced schedule

Top 5 in each league make the postseason. 4 and 5 play one game to get in.

For the sake of this, I'm adding the Montreal Expos to the NL and the Charlotte Knights to the AL. (don't make this about Charlotte-it's just for a new team)

Put the teams in 4-team pods...D-backs to the AL, Astros back to the NL

AL Pods:

Bos-NY-Chr-TB

Bal-Tor-Cle-Det

Sox-Min-KC-Tex

Arz-LAA-Oak-Sea

NL Pods:

Mon-Was-NYM-Phi

Atl-Mia-Cin-Pit

Chi-Mil-Stl-Hou

Col-SF-LA-SD

Play each team in your own pod 6 home, 6 road (Four 3-game series)

Play each of the other three pods 42 games

Example of a Sox schedule against Pod 1:

Bos(10)-- 3 home, 3 home, 4 away

NY(10)-- 4 home, 3 away, 3 away

Chr(11)- 2 home, 3 home, 3 away, 3 away

TB(11)- 3 home, 3 home, 3 away, 2 away

And then this would be the same for the other pods, and rotate each year. After four years, the East teams can reconfigure if they want.

The season would be 162 games in 186 days.

(6) 2-game series

(6) 4-game series

(42) 3-game series

Season starts on a Thursday (off on Friday), then 26 full weeks...

All Star break off Monday-Thursday

Two "Squeeze Weeks" of 2-2-3.

Five weeks of a 3-game series and 4-game series

17 weeks with one day off

1 week of a Monday and Thursday off

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
They should cut Spring Training short for veterans and start the season in late March at the home park of warm weather or dome teams for the first two weeks of the season.

They should just cut it short period. A whole month of goes seems too much and it seems the players think the same.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 10:31 AM)
They should cut Spring Training short for veterans and start the season in late March at the home park of warm weather or dome teams for the first two weeks of the season.

I used to think that too, but then I realized weather can be bad in late March, and it can be bad in mid-April just as often. The key is to schedule against teams early that you'll play later on the season in the same place. But if they go to 24 series of one and done, they won't be able to do that.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 10:36 AM)
They should just cut it short period. A whole month of goes seems too much and it seems the players think the same.

Yeah, it seems ST was invented back when players didn't stay in shape all year, and so they needed time to actually get there. Nowadays they just need some reps for rhythm. Should be two weeks at most for position players.

QUOTE (flavum @ Oct 25, 2017 -> 10:39 AM)
Seriously, this podcast is just disappointing as hell.

I'm just going to say it--the word "rivalry" in baseball is overrated and for stupid people.

You know who your rival is? The team you play that day.

You might not like it, but if you don't notice a difference in intensity of play based on who your team is playing, you aren't paying attention.