Rule 5 draft preview

southsider2k5

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 01:51 PM)
I like the sounds of all of those players on JJ's list, though I just don't see us going catcher anymore.

Getting good RHP could be nice flip projects considering the yankees lineup.

Pentecost is probably the best get of that list, but there is no way to keep him on the roster all year. I would love to have him though.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 02:35 PM)
I would like to see the Sox take a position player; they can take a pitcher in round 2 - always a lot.

ONe that strikes me is Jason Martin of the Astros. He's only 22, hit pretty well in the Carolina League, and can play CF. Astros are the best in the biz re developing talent.

I think Leury Garcia will get a nice bulk of time in CF (to start the year anyway). I don't really want a position player unless they deal Garcia in the next like 18 hours.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 03:38 PM)
I think Leury Garcia will get a nice bulk of time in CF (to start the year anyway). I don't really want a position player unless they deal Garcia in the next like 18 hours.

Nestor Cortes just seems like one of those guys who can end up producing if given an opportunity. He's not that big, his stuff is not great, but it's hard to ignore how well he has produced.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 02:38 PM)

I like Leury. Can't see them getting much for him, so I hope they just stick him in CF and let him play. Hopefully he can stay healthy.

QUOTE (cjgalloway @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 03:10 PM)
I really don't see why we wouldn't take 2 relief pitchers.. Why not.. If one doesn't work he goes back to the original team.. Not a big deal. There's some talent here and we have 7 open relief pitcher spots lolll

Exactly. Plenty of wide open competition. I would actually be shocked if they didn't take 2 players in the MLB portion of the Rule 5 draft.

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 13, 2017 -> 11:53 PM)
I know I am late to this party but can a White Sox Reporter please ask Rick Hahn he decided to keep Jacob May instead of Jordan Guerrero? I have to believe their is some other issue that was at play here.

I read from a couple different places that he faded down the stretch, so maybe the team thinks he can't hold the innings as a starter and doesn't have the stuff for the bullpen?

Not a name being mentioned but I have always liked reliever Jake Reed from the Twins. White Sox actually drafted him back in 2011 out of high school so they must at least be familiar with him.

Saw him in College and he had a low to mid 90s fastball with good movement. Has put up good stats in the minors.