Is Contention Upon the White Sox earlier than expected?

greg775

QUOTE (mmmmmbeeer @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 12:50 AM)
I think Giolito will be put up very solid #2 numbers this season. It was all mental with him and, after several solid starts last season, I think this kid is going to dominate this season. I definitely see struggles from Lopez and especially Fulmer. Lopez will improve as the season goes along but I just see this being the year Carson is sent to the pen for good. Rodon will take several months to get right and then still be susceptible to the occasional blowout (please trade his ass).

There's no way this team competes in 2018. I think it will be extremely fun baseball to watch as we see the chemistry continue to grow, young guys catching on to the MLB game, and some of our top guys coming up throughout the season but, really, they're going to be really s***ty for at least the first half of the season. We may see a late run/streak but it won't be enough to snag a WC spot....though it will leave us pumped for 2019.

I agreed with your opening sentence. But then you jumped from Giolito being solid to dominating next year. Maybe solid in 2018 could lead to dominate in 2019 or 2020. Chris Sale was dominating and Q was outstanding. I don't see Gio as either next year.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
This was a 95 loss team that has added Wellington Castillo. Fulmer won't be as good as he was his last 3 starts. Pretty good odds Giolitto won't be as good as his starts, considering his ERA in AAA was about 2 runs higher. They still suck. Many growing pains are still in store.

Disagree Strongly...I think they continue making strides

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Dec 15, 2017 -> 10:14 AM)
Yeah everyone seems to think these guys are going to come up and hit and pitch great right away.

Giolito, Fulmer, Lopez ALL finished strong

Anderson, Moncada, Delmonico ALL finished strong

Add them to Abreu and Avi with Jiminez and Collins not far behind and I think this O will be entertaining

CWS shouldn't compete this year but I think they'll overachieve and be fun to watch

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 09:05 AM)
I agreed with your opening sentence. But then you jumped from Giolito being solid to dominating next year. Maybe solid in 2018 could lead to dominate in 2019 or 2020. Chris Sale was dominating and Q was outstanding. I don't see Gio as either next year.

Absolutely agree with you, SCCWS. Dominating expectations for a typical #2 would be a better way to express what I see him capable of reaching next season. Certainly not an ace but could very well finish with the best season on the Sox staff and would be a solid #2 for even competitive teams.

I REALLY want to see Reynaldo grow next season. I love watching him pitch, especially when his offspeed stuff is on and he's able to control his fastball. He has the ability to make hitters look absolutely foolish. Outside of Kopech and perhaps Hansen, I think he has the best ace potential in the system.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 08:44 AM)
Giolito, Fulmer, Lopez ALL finished strong

Anderson, Moncada, Delmonico ALL finished strong

Add them to Abreu and Avi with Jiminez and Collins not far behind and I think this O will be entertaining

CWS shouldn't compete this year but I think they'll overachieve and be fun to watch

The league will adjust. It's all about how these guys adjust back.

Why do people continue and continue and continue to say that Collins "isn't far behind".. The dude was a major disappointment.. Sure he can rebound but thinking we will see him this year at all is asanine and seeing him in 2019 before a possible september call up is also wishful thinking.. He isn't even close.

QUOTE (ChiSoxJon @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 08:46 AM)
Still feel Gio has ace potential

As does Kopech, Rodon, and Hansen so watch out

So does Lopez, Cease and even Fulmer. Hopefully they all hit their ceilings, but if not, the Sox also have some solid #2/3 ceiling types like Dunning, Stephens, Guerrero, Adams, and Clarkin, then some fringe guys who could turn into back of rotation guys like Flores, Lambert, Puckett, and a few power relief arms like Burdi and Vieira. I think out of all of this, the Sox will get 12 quality pitchers to build around in some capacity.

I think some of you guys are a little unrealistic. Even if we just loosely say that an ace is a 4 WAR pitcher, there were only 14 of those in the majors last year, and I think that definition is way too loose.

Personally, I think the only guy in the system currently who has ace potential is Kopech. There are a lot of guys with nice ceilings, but they project more as #2/3's.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Dec 16, 2017 -> 04:01 PM)
I think some of you guys are a little unrealistic. Even if we just loosely say that an ace is a 4 WAR pitcher, there were only 14 of those in the majors last year, and I think that definition is way too loose.

Personally, I think the only guy in the system currently who has ace potential is Kopech. There are a lot of guys with nice ceilings, but they project more as #2/3's.

What do you need to see out of Hansen to put him in the "potential ace" category? The kid absolutely dominated last season. I get not anointing him until he shows he can excel in the upper levels of the ml system but at the same time I don't think he's done anything to wholly disqualify himself from having ace potential.

Lopez has an extremely gifted arm with sometimes incredible secondary stuff. If he can pull it all together on a consistent basis, I really think he has the intangibles to be an ace. While most disagree, Buerhle wasn't an ace. He was a good pitcher. When I think ace, I think about a guy who has the innate ability to strike people out and completely shutdown an offense without relying on the defense. Lopez has that potential. As do Hansen and Kopech.