2018 Democrats thread

southsider2k5

24 minutes ago, Reddy said:

He became a celebrity quickly because of his unique platform. I addressed that phenomenon in my post.

Also, how many campaigns have you worked on in a paid capacity?

So you agree that it was his platform that enabled him to have the success he was able to have fundraising, but call it celebrity. Got it.

What's the relevance of me not being a political consultant? Most people aren't. That doesn't make their opinions irrelevant.

23 minutes ago, Reddy said:

Yes, truthout.org. 

Why disparage the source? If it's a fact based article, then there will be citations in it that will make the website it came from irrelevant (or it won't, in which case call out the author for that). If it's an op-ed, then disregard it as such, but an op-ed from truthout.org is no more or less fact based than an op-ed from newyorktimes.com. Either way, there's no reason to disparage the source and doing so contributes to that condescending look you have that another poster talked about recently.

11 minutes ago, Dam8610 said:

So you agree that it was his platform that enabled him to have the success he was able to have fundraising, but call it celebrity. Got it.

What's the relevance of me not being a political consultant? Most people aren't. That doesn't make their opinions irrelevant.

Why disparage the source? If it's a fact based article, then there will be citations in it that will make the website it came from irrelevant (or it won't, in which case call out the author for that). If it's an op-ed, then disregard it as such, but an op-ed from truthout.org is no more or less fact based than an op-ed from newyorktimes.com. Either way, there's no reason to disparage the source and doing so contributes to that condescending look you have that another poster talked about recently.

If everyone ran on that platform, none of them would be unique, thus none would get the funding Bernie did/Beto does. It's the unique platform that gives the celebrity which creates the money. Without that genesis, it doesn't happen the same way.

Not consultant - have you worked on a race? Because working on a race gives you a much better sense of just how much man-power a good ground game takes. And it's insanely hard to cultivate that volunteer base.

2 hours ago, Reddy said:

Looks like moderate Dems can raise that small donation money just as well as hardliners!

Don’t be jealous because Ocasio-Cortez now is one of the 25 most high-profile Democrats in the country and hasn’t even been elected yet...

2 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ah yes, the party of unity.

What has the GOP done well, exactly?

They got 77,000 votes in three states they wouldn’t have without Comey’s unsanctioned intervention into the election...otherwise, the storyline would be a completely different take on things.  Not that Clinton would have fixed any big problems.  

Still not clear what Trump has done, other than increase our future debt payments at an alarming pace.

But two justices who want to set women back by 50 years, it was all worth it!

Edited by caulfield12

5 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Don’t be jealous because Ocasio-Cortez now is one of the 25 most high-profile Democrats in the country and hasn’t even been elected yet...

15 minutes.

I thought moderates couldn't generate the type of small-dollar donations progressives can...

8 hours ago, Reddy said:

15 minutes.

I thought moderates couldn't generate the type of small-dollar donations progressives can...

What was most likable about Howard Dean or Bernie Sanders, their platforms or their personalities?  Elizabeth Warren, or what she represented?

Edited by caulfield12

9 hours ago, Reddy said:

15 minutes.

Generally they tend to take more money from big donors.  I don't think anyone said that progressives are better at generating money.  I would actually think that they are bad at it and that has been part of their problem until recently.

It's good though that she is getting down through small donations.  She still has to win.

I have  a feeling we are going to see a lot of that.   Should be reminder that these people don't believe in some "party unity" or "backing blue", they believe in keeping power and keeping things status quo.

we're seeing dumb show hearings in the House over Strzok's text messages but

would love to see the text messages on Clinton by the NY FBI agents, also GOP politicians on Trump during the 2016 campaign. 

an example of exactly how dumb this show hearing is:

"why didn't you talk about impeaching Clinton???"

Edited by StrangeSox

3 minutes ago, GoSox05 said:

Trey Gowdy loves to put on these show trials. 

Sad to see him retire....

They always make him look bad, and then they go on and win the next election thanks to him. Because sure, he looks like a fool, but there wouldn't be hearings if the witness hadn't done something bad, so we gotta report both sides.

Kevin McCarthy admitted that all of the Benghazi committees were bullshit fishing expedition, and hey they turned up EMAILS EMAILS EMAILS so it was definitely worth it for them.

The only point of this hearing is to further discredit any investigation into Trump, and it'll work on a non-zero segment of the population so of course its worth it to them.