White Sox hitters camp

southsider2k5

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 01:28 AM)
That just doesn't even seem possible. At age 20 1/2 he went from 6'3 to 6'4 1/2? That seems....major.

I believe men stop growing when they are 25, so I think it's possible.

I remember Luol Deng grew two inches in 2 years when he was drafted at 19.

QUOTE (SoxPride18 @ Jan 21, 2018 -> 08:37 AM)
I believe men stop growing when they are 25, so I think it's possible.

I remember Luol Deng grew two inches in 2 years when he was drafted at 19.

Only ONE part of my body continued to grow an inch or so every year at that age......CAN YOU GUESS WHAT THAT WAS???

It was my waistline. :(

ignoring that

Anyway one thing I've been thinking about that worries me about Rutherford only from media, is Collins, Burger and Sheets had issues last year and from everything we heard have attempted to make substantial changes to improve them.

With rutherford, we heard last year his swing prevented him from generated power. And all I've heard out of him is that he grew, and that he'll be fine.

This is all part of the process with guys, and I hope he's right, but I worry about whether he's going to resist necessary updates and just rely on getting stronger.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 12:09 PM)
ignoring that

Anyway one thing I've been thinking about that worries me about Rutherford only from media, is Collins, Burger and Sheets had issues last year and from everything we heard have attempted to make substantial changes to improve them.

With rutherford, we heard last year his swing prevented him from generated power. And all I've heard out of him is that he grew, and that he'll be fine.

This is all part of the process with guys, and I hope he's right, but I worry about whether he's going to resist necessary updates and just rely on getting stronger.

One thing is for certain, if he doesn't improve his power this year he's going to tumble down prospect lists. Similar to Basabe last year. Yea these guys are young and toolsy (and Basabe battled injuries) but you have to produce.

I wasn't big on Rutherford when they got him and I'm not now. But I'm not going to argue the "raw power" that made him such an attractive draft pick to the Yankees (an org that has certainly shown they can scout lately) isn't in there somewhere. It's up to Chicago and Blake to draw it out and produce in game.

From Longenhagen's prospect chat today when asked about Collins and Rutherford:

Eric A Longenhagen: The question with Rutherford has quickly become his power. I saw him take BP last week and have a 45/50 on his raw now, which is a bit below what I had for him coming out of HS. I don’t have a great feel for why this has happened, not yet anyway. Collins is the same. High OBP, has power, will strike out a ton and isn’t great as a C but should reach enough to play as a 1B.

Only 45/50 raw power is really disappointing. It really looks like we're going to have to do some work on him for him to reach anywhere near his potential. If he is able to regain his old form, I think that also answers a lot of questions about our abilities to develop bats.

QUOTE (GenericUserName @ Jan 23, 2018 -> 09:49 PM)
From Longenhagen's prospect chat today when asked about Collins and Rutherford:

Only 45/50 raw power is really disappointing. It really looks like we're going to have to do some work on him for him to reach anywhere near his potential. If he is able to regain his old form, I think that also answers a lot of questions about our abilities to develop bats.

Someone should ask Hahn about this at SoxFest. I was less concerned about his s***ty numbers when he came over, but the fact that Longenhagen has dropped his raw power score and publications are completely dropping him from their top 100 lists suggest real scouting concerns now. I’d really like to know Hahn’s reasons for optimism here, because it almost comes off like they went off pre-draft scouting reports and not the latest intel.