OD Roster Predictions: Centerfield

Chicago White Sox

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the primary CF to start the season?

• Adam Engel
    • Leury Garcia
    • Charlie Tilson
    • Ryan Cordell
  2. 2. Who will actually start in CF on opening day?

• Adam Engel
    • Leury Garcia
    • Charlie Tilson
    • Ryan Cordell

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 07:47 AM)
Leury can turn himself into an attractive trade chip. A team looking to add a Zobrist type player where he can be an everyday player at a different position. Or maybe a team has a key injury and needs a starting CF, another MI, etc.

Not to go Greg here, but I think for the rebuild to be successful, the Sox are at some point going to need to look at these in house options like the Garcias, Delmonico, etc. and start seeing contributing pieces to the next contending team, rather than trade chips. If Leury Garcia is going to develop into a Zobrist type of player, the next contender could probably use that player, and he'll be 29 in 2020.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 08:04 AM)
Not to go Greg here, but I think for the rebuild to be successful, the Sox are at some point going to need to look at these in house options like the Garcias, Delmonico, etc. and start seeing contributing pieces to the next contending team, rather than trade chips. If Leury Garcia is going to develop into a Zobrist type of player, the next contender could probably use that player, and he'll be 29 in 2020.

Yeah that's true too. They could keep him. I was mostly referring to having more options. And I'm not really on that train of thought with Delmonico. If Delmonico can hit, it would be nice to have his lefty bat long-term. He can DH and fill in at 1B and corner OF long-term.

Edited by soxfan2014

I voted for Leury but if I'm RR I start most games with an outfield of Delmonico-Leury-Avi from left to right and if I have a lead late in the game I pull Delmonico, switch Luery to left and put Engel in center. So there's my 4 outfielders and I look hard for a trade of Avi this summer.

QUOTE (Dam8610 @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 09:04 AM)

We have so many in house options from Cordell to Tilson. We are going to have to end up moving someone. It isn't so much looking at wanting to move Garcia for prospects it's more he has more value to clubs as a known commodity with control (FA at end of 2020) and I want to see what Tilson and Cordell can do before Robert complicates things further.

I think there are players on this roster that this type of thinking makes sense for. Hell it was probably the main reason why we signed Anderson because we really have noone behind him knocking down the door and our depth was and is atrocious.

But when it comes to the OF we have a set outfield of Garcia, Garcia, Delmonico. We also have Tilson, Engel, and Cordell who are ready.

Then we have Basabe. Adolfo. Jiminez. Rutherford. Robert. From my perspective at some point Garcia is going to have to be moved why not move him when he has the most control and you may get something interesting for him.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Feb 14, 2018 -> 11:27 PM)
Engel's D is amazing

Is it really "amazing," though? I'll grant that the defensive metrics aren't all that great (yet). But, his DRS was negative last year, while Leury's was +3.

I too am not sold on Engel, & I don't get the love for a guy whose bat makes him look like a future starting CFer. In Korea. Especially when there are so many other options in the system with better overall credentials.

I can’t wait to see Cordell on the field. There’s something about this kid has me excited. I think his physical abilities are a little undervalued as it sounds like he’s a five tool talent even if none of them are truly plus. I hope they give him plenty of time in CF this spring and see if there’s any chance he could stick there. He claims it’s his position of choice which I’ll take a positive for now.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 08:19 AM)
If Engel starts, he might then be the worst starting outfielder in majors (offensively).

But that may not make a difference. One issue Hahn may see is how important is the defense to the young pitchers. Is it worth having a .200 hitting gold glove type over someone who can play some defense and hit. He may see the value of making Engel the 4th outfielder but using him mostly on days the young pitchers are on the mound.

QUOTE (SCCWS @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 08:03 AM)
But that may not make a difference. One issue Hahn may see is how important is the defense to the young pitchers. Is it worth having a .200 hitting gold glove type over someone who can play some defense and hit. He may see the value of making Engel the 4th outfielder but using him mostly on days the young pitchers are on the mound.

When your starting CFer had a pathetic 37 WRC+ in the inflated offensive environment of 2017, his defense simply does not matter; at THAT weak an offensive output, he's a net negative to the team, even if he's the best defensive CFer in the history of MLB.

Now, if Engel an get his WRC+ to ~80 or so, AND play stellar defense, then that's a different matter. But I doubt he's capable of doing so. We'll see.

Edited by Two-Gun Pete

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 09:59 PM)
When your starting CFer had a pathetic 37 WRC+ in the inflated offensive environment of 2017, his defense simply does not matter; at THAT weak an offensive output, he's a net negative to the team, even if he's the best defensive CFer in the history of MLB.

Now, if Engel an get his WRC+ to ~80 or so, AND play stellar defense, then that's a different matter. But I doubt he's capable of doing so. We'll see.

We are in a rebuild. We will most likely have 2 young pitchers in our rotation to start and hopefully will add another 1 or 2 in July/August. Last year the Sox were one of the worst defensive teams in the AL. My point was Hahn may want the best defensive player on the team used when the prospects are pitching. The key next year is to develop prospects not win or lose. Maybe defense affects the development of young pitchers by letting them get out of innings quicker. Maybe the staff wants them to stay out there and fight adversity. We will see what they do.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 08:36 AM)
I can’t wait to see Cordell on the field. There’s something about this kid has me excited. I think his physical abilities are a little undervalued as it sounds like he’s a five tool talent even if none of them are truly plus. I hope they give him plenty of time in CF this spring and see if there’s any chance he could stick there. He claims it’s his position of choice which I’ll take a positive for now.

I really like Tilson as well. I think his hit tool is much better then Engel and his defense will probably not be all that different question for him is how much power does he have in that swing.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 09:33 PM)
I really like Tilson as well. I think his hit tool is much better then Engel and his defense will probably not be all that different question for him is how much power does he have in that swing.

Wow hold on here, are you suggesting Tilson’s defense is comparable to Engel’s? Cause Adam is a f***ing stud out there and Tilson from what I’ve read (since he’s never really played for us) is average at best in CF. Tilson has a much better hit tool, but he’s probably a huge downgrade defensively and has far less raw power & speed. I don’t know, it’s really hard for me to buy into the Tilson hype. I don’t see much more than second division starter potential and I think it’s far more likely he ends up being a 4th or 5th OF.

QUOTE (Two-Gun Pete @ Feb 15, 2018 -> 11:50 PM)
Is it really "amazing," though? I'll grant that the defensive metrics aren't all that great (yet). But, his DRS was negative last year, while Leury's was +3.

I too am not sold on Engel, & I don't get the love for a guy whose bat makes him look like a future starting CFer. In Korea. Especially when there are so many other options in the system with better overall credentials.

You have to admit he made some pretty awesome plays in CF last season. I would put his entire defensive value in half a season's worth of defensive metrics. He's always been known to have a very solid to above average glove as he came through the minors.

I'm far from sold on him too. The guy needs to hit or he's nothing more than a 4th OF'er of late-inning defensive replacement. But I wouldn't write him off yet.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 10:46 PM)
Wow hold on here, are you suggesting Tilson’s defense is comparable to Engel’s? Cause Adam is a f***ing stud out there and Tilson from what I’ve read (since he’s never really played for us) is average at best in CF. Tilson has a much better hit tool, but he’s probably a huge downgrade defensively and has far less raw power & speed. I don’t know, it’s really hard for me to buy into the Tilson hype. I don’t see much more than second division starter potential and I think it’s far more likely he ends up being a 4th or 5th OF.

Everything I've read indicates he is a ++ runner with an average arm sort of your prototypical good defensive CF.

The problem with Tilson seems to be his lack of power so yeah why not bring him in and see what you have. We sort of know what Engel is and with Robert knocking on the door I kind of want to give the other guys a look before he gets called up so we at least know what we have with Tilson and Cordell.

Edited by wrathofhahn

QUOTE (wrathofhahn @ Feb 17, 2018 -> 12:36 AM)
Everything I've read indicates he is a ++ runner with an average arm sort of your prototypical good defensive CF.

The problem with Tilson seems to be his lack of power so yeah why not bring him in and see what you have. We sort of know what Engel is.

the problem with tilson is that he's like plato's forms. I'm not sure he exists outside of our minds.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Feb 16, 2018 -> 11:44 PM)
the problem with tilson is that he's like plato's forms. I'm not sure he exists outside of our minds.

Then we move on to Cordell. We have three CF right now that we need to evaluate. Tilson, Garcia, and Cordell.

Engel can play in AAA if his bat improves we can give him another look but lets not forget at time of his callup he was batting .218 in AAA. He really didn't deserve the callup and just got the job as the next man up not because his play in the minors merited it.

Edited by wrathofhahn