2019 MLB draft thread

southsider2k5

I will say, from Law's draft, if there were to be a white sox high school pick this sounds like the most white soxian

"

40. Tyler Callihan, INF/C, Pr

ovidence HS (Jacksonville, Florida)

-- Callihan can hit, but he lacks a position. He can really hit, though, with a smooth left-handed swing, bat speed to turn around velocity and enough loft to get to above-average power. And he really has no position, although to his credit, he has tried to catch some and isn't awful back there. I think the team that thinks he has some chance to work out behind the plate is the one that takes him, figuring even a 5 percent chance of a star is worth the shot.

7 hours ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

Callis replied to my tweet and said he doesn't think Hoese will get to the Sox at #45. 

1 hour ago, bmags said:

We very well could draft Misner at 2 at this point.

I still doubt Misner falls that fall but it'd be incredible value. Hoese could get to #45 if the Sox are offering $2 million plus IMO. It should be interesting. I have no reason to believe it won't be the best college hitter or college arm available at #45 though and that player might "fall" explicitly to the Sox with that type of bonus number attached. 

3 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I still doubt Misner falls that fall but it'd be incredible value. Hoese could get to #45 if the Sox are offering $2 million plus IMO. It should be interesting. I have no reason to believe it won't be the best college hitter or college arm available at #45 though and that player might "fall" explicitly to the Sox with that type of bonus number attached. 

Yeah at some point his free fall will stop.

I make fun of the obssessive krate stuff but Misner is so thoroughly at that 25% k rate that it's just hard to find many comparable pro players that struck out that much in college (even high k guys).

I'm really curious as to where Shea Langeliers will end up going with the hamate injury and all. He was a solid top half of the first round guy at the start of the season. I think he's come on recently, so maybe it won't change that much. Probably wishful thinking he would get to pick 45.

1 hour ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

Yeah at some point his free fall will stop.

I make fun of the obssessive krate stuff but Misner is so thoroughly at that 25% k rate that it's just hard to find many comparable pro players that struck out that much in college (even high k guys).

13 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I'm really curious as to where Shea Langeliers will end up going with the hamate injury and all. He was a solid top half of the first round guy at the start of the season. I think he's come on recently, so maybe it won't change that much. Probably wishful thinking he would get to pick 45.

This seems like a good time to say "I hate the competitive balance round."

• Like 1

We get a Keith Law mock on Monday. Also, from today's chat.

Moose

1:47

White Sox seem allergic to prep players with 1st round picks. Would they consider Witt if Adley & Vaughn go 1 and 2?

Keith Law

1:50

I don't think Witt gets to them right now, but I don't think it's an "allergy" but a preference. They have a good system with a young core in the majors and a few more prospects near the majors, so it makes some sense to focus on guys who'll move quickly.

KLAU

1:13

Where does Shea Langeliers go at this point? Still a 1st rounder?

Keith Law

1:13

yes. Somewhere in the 15-30 range.

http://meadowparty.com/blog/2019/05/02/klawchat-5-2-19/

Edited by DirtySox

I mean he's not wrong. And he's not the first person to point it out. Vaughn will likely be available, would be the BPA at 3, and would fit the rebuild timeline nicely. I know we are a month away, but it sure feels like it's a slam dunk at this point.

Is it too early for second round pick predictions? I believe my prediction last year was Griffin Roberts, who was selected 3 picks before the White Sox by the Cardinals.

3 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I mean he's not wrong. And he's not the first person to point it out. Vaughn will likely be available, would be the BPA at 3, and would fit the rebuild timeline nicely. I know we are a month away, but it sure feels like it's a slam dunk at this point.

Is it too early for second round pick predictions? I believe my prediction last year was Griffin Roberts, who was selected 3 picks before the White Sox by the Cardinals.

I keep throwing out who I want, but who I think?

I think maybe the UMich Pitcher Tommy Henry  or (gulp) Logan Wyatt

7 minutes ago, bmags said:

I keep throwing out who I want, but who I think?

I think maybe the UMich Pitcher Tommy Henry  or (gulp) Logan Wyatt

I had been joking about Logan Wyatt being the pick earlier in this thread. Certainly fits the criteria. Tommy Henry is also a good suggestion. I think his stock has dropped lately though from some bad performances maybe?

I think I'm going to go with Ryne Nelson as my prediction. Here's BA's scouting report. He's generally ranked in the 40 to 50 range currently.

Notes:

Ht: 6-4 | Wt: 182 | B-T: R-R 
Commit/Drafted: Never Drafted 
Scouting Report: Nelson was a two-way player at Oregon this spring, playing shortstop and closing games for the Ducks. He has one of the most electric arms in the country. He touched 99 mph this spring and focused on pitching this summer in the Cape Cod League. Nelson has a power arm and electric stuff. His fastball reached 95 mph in the Cape Cod all-star game, and he mixes in a sharp, hard slider as well as a changeup. Listed at 6-foot-4, 190 pounds, he has a long, lean, athletic frame and a clean delivery. Nelson has never started but is expected to do so at Oregon next spring, and scouts are eager to see how he handles the role. Even if he ultimately fits better in the bullpen, he’ll still likely be one of the premium arms for the 2019 draft, which is short on slam-dunk starters.

Edited by DirtySox

10 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

I had been joking about Logan Wyatt being the pick earlier in this thread. Certainly fits the criteria. Tommy Henry is also a good suggestion. I think his stock has dropped lately though from some bad performances maybe?

I think I'm going to go with Ryne Nelson as my prediction. Here's BA's scouting report. He's generally ranked in the 40 to 50 range currently.

Yea. I'm all in with the Nelson prediction. Walking too many, but strikeouts a boatload. More upside than your typical college pitching prospect in that second round range. Could be a starter, but if not the stuff would be more than enough in the pen. He also has dorky glasses and a neckbeard, so I can relate to him more.

13 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

Here's my preferred top targets with no consideration for signability because that's hard

Blake Walston LHP prep - 6'4, above average breaking ball

Seth Johnson RHP Campbell - Big power arm and we have a real lack of stuff in org right now behind cease.

Sammy Siani Prep OF - Mikes brother, probably a tough sign? Read he has quick hands and good athlete. 

Yordis Valdes SS - from Law's chat, said he's one of youngest in draft and a defensive wizard.

Brooks Lee SS Prep - high bat speed remarks, flashy.

Things I like to read - good bat speed, young, athletic, flashy.

5 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

Anyone hear WSIDave on the podcast say, they will go underslot with the kid from ASU and then try to get local kid Quin Priester? 

Could you please elaborate on this scenario? Taking Bishop, if he is slotted at #8, for example, would save them how much? Then, how exactly would they be able to use the savings to acquire Priester, and why would that be desirable? I'm asking because I'm not familiar with Priester.

3 minutes ago, Lillian said:

Could you please elaborate on this scenario? Taking Bishop, if he is slotted at #8, for example, would save them how much? Then, how exactly would they be able to use the savings to acquire Priester, and why would that be desirable? I'm asking because I'm not familiar with Priester.

I do not know exact figures but that is exactly the scenario that Dave laid out.  Take Bishop at #3 with #8 money and lure QP to sign for more down the road.  I do know the family a bit and they are all huge Cubs fans, not sure if Quin would be enticed to play with Sox.

20 minutes ago, justBLAZE said:

I do not know exact figures but that is exactly the scenario that Dave laid out.  Take Bishop at #3 with #8 money and lure QP to sign for more down the road.  I do know the family a bit and they are all huge Cubs fans, not sure if Quin would be enticed to play with Sox.

I'm pretty sure they would be pretty excited to be able to see their son play locally if he made it to big leagues.

But sox and "underslot" to get a high target HSer when multiple teams have multiple picks? I don't buy it. I know they went under a bit for burger, but this has not been their M.O. and it's really risky if you have a specific target in mind.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Lillian said:

It would save them 2 million which they could bundle up to get to 3.6 million with their second round pick which is about top 20 money to get Priester. But keep in mind there are teams like the diamondbacks with multiple picks to bundle and pitching is VERY thin.

Way-too-early draft Prediction: Rangers get Illinois prep RHP Quinn Priester on an above-slot deal with their 2nd or 3rd pick.

I don't know how to post a tweet so this is the best I can do.  Pushing Priester down the board seems to be a popular theory with crackpot wannabes out there.  It's just that easy!!!

• Heads22 locked this topic
  • bmags unlocked and locked this topic