6/5- Sox at Twins doubleheader, 3:10

flavum

Stone just made the same observation, which I suggested, the other day. Soria seems to have adopted Shields' lower arm slot, for that breaking pitch and it is working. Here was my post, about which I feel even more confident, now:

"I wish more pitchers pitched with his kind of finesse and cunning. Did you notice that Soria was throwing a few similar pitches, in his Friday night's relief appearance? He would do well to try to emulate Shields' approach, as he too has lost his heater, at this stage in his career. Again, even guys can throw a legitimate fastball, could benefit from such innovations. Trying to simply blow everyone away with 95 + mph fastballs, doesn't seem to work as well as it used to. There are too many guys throwing that hard and hitters appear to have adjusted to those speeds." 

Edited by Lillian

42 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Gonna have to agree to disagree here.  Strikeouts and swinging strikes are by far the best predictor of a pitcher's success along with walk rate.

Depends on your definition of success. The team winning the game, runs allowed or the pitcher having good stats? Things like FIP are based purely on strikeouts and walks so of course more strikeouts make his FIP look good.

3 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I am with you 100%.. those Lew Ford days had me raging

This season I don't care if they lose every other series, just beat the fucking shit out of the Twins. Pound them into oblivion. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

I am with you 100%.. those Lew Ford days had me raging

Denny Hocking, Bartlett, Punto, Tyner, Luis Castillo, they had an annoying back-up catcher (Latin American) that always got big hits off us. 

Obviously Torii Hunter after he ran down Jamie Burke.  Never liked Shannon Stewart, Jacque Jones or Koskie/Mientkiewicz much either, but they could play some admirable D.

I think the Sox have now lost 7 of their last 8 in Minneapolis (after the 1st game).

Edited by caulfield12

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Denny Hocking, Bartlett, Punto, Tyner, Luis Castillo, they had an annoying back-up catcher (Latin American) that always got big hits off us

He was a decent player, but it always seemed like Jason Kubel used to kill the Sox in the later part of the 00s. I never understood why they couldn't pound Radke and shitty players like Kielty, Mientkewicz and Koskie used to kill the Sox in the early part.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Who else was EXPECTING a three-run game-tying homer there....?

PHEW.

Twins were lucky to get a split.

It would have been completely unbelievable, but believable at the same time. 

5 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

It would have been completely unbelievable, but believable at the same time. 

Yeah, it would have been shades of 02-04. We all need therapy for our PTSD from that era. I remember one time Castillo was up vs Freddy Garcia and he hit a ball off the turf of the Dome just barely in front of home plate it went so high that  Castillo was standing at 1B when Garcia caught it in front of the mound. It was so infuriating. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

If there is really interest from contenders in Shields, launch his ass now. Turn the page on one of the worst trades in the last 25 years of Sox baseball. 

Fernando Tatis Jr. was named a Minor League Player of the Month after producing a 1.054 OPS in May. The Padres prospect tries to stay hot for San Antonio tonight against Midland.

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, it would have been shades of 02-04. We all need therapy for our PTSD from that era. 

LOL. Another meltdown today would have been too much. I guess the Sox have given up what...8-10 wins they had in the bag? Blew the first game today, surely didn't want to see a a repeat. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, it would have been shades of 02-04. We all need therapy for our PTSD from that era. 

2001-2010, with the exceptions in 2005 and 2008

Like whenever we had to play at Anaheim or Oakland in that same era...or Toronto.

At any rate, without the Blackout Game and the last week of that regular season, make-up game against DET, some of us might still be haunted.....if not for the fact the Twins started to suck so bad in their new stadium and the other three AL Central teams fielded much better teams.

Edited by caulfield12

9 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Fernando Tatis Jr. was named a Minor League Player of the Month after producing a 1.054 OPS in May. The Padres prospect tries to stay hot for San Antonio tonight against Midland.

La La La I can't hear you Tatis Jr.=Voldemort. Forever to be known as "He that shall not be named" unless he is a complete flop at the MLB level. As soon as Shields isn't going out there every 5th day I can choose to forget about Tatis. 

Edited by Jack Parkman