7-8 Stros/Sox Game Thread

DirtySox

9 minutes ago, fathom said:

His current swing is never going to lead to power. He swings all arms and can't turn on anything with authority

No doubt. Which is why I said it needs continued developing. I'm not denying it's shit now. 

14 minutes ago, EvilJester99 said:

Never would have thought Gio would look this good against these guys.. no matter what happens this is a huge step for him. 

I think he pitches better when he pitches to contacts opposed to trying to strike people out,. His best games seem to bathe lower strikeout and lower walk games.

NOBODY in baseball needs the AS break more than Abreu. I don't know what the hell happened, but that swing of his is a CATASTROPHE right now. Totally lost. Off-balance, out in front, flailing with all arms and when even when he's not in front he's swinging and falling over the plate. It's just a mess. I hope some of it is just a matter of resting that foot, but this started before that. 

Just now, JoshPR said:

Sox didn't think on that bunt play. 2 strikes you pitch out to see if you get the runner mapping or the hitter compromises

Smith appeared to begin to stand-up and attempt that. Immediately had to come back down when he saw the pitch leave Giolito's hand. 

Definitely need to be more prepared for that, though. 

6 minutes ago, Richie said:

NOBODY in baseball needs the AS break more than Abreu. I don't know what the hell happened, but that swing of his is a CATASTROPHE right now. Totally lost. Off-balance, out in front, flailing with all arms and when even when he's not in front he's swinging and falling over the plate. It's just a mess. I hope some of it is just a matter of resting that foot, but this started before that. 

He's gradually becoming less and less able to catch up with a good fastball as he gets older, and now he's overcommitting on the pitch and leaving himself vulnerable to just about everything as a consequence. 

Just now, Richie said:

Smith appeared to begin to stand-up and attempt that. Immediately had to come back down when he saw the pitch leave Giolito's hand. 

Definitely need to be more prepared for that, though. 

He was standing up because they were throwing the high fastball as a strikeout pitch, he didn't move to the side at all.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

He's gradually becoming less and less able to catch up with a good fastball as he gets older, and now he's overcommitting on the pitch and leaving himself vulnerable to just about everything as a consequence. 

I agree, but I've seen conversations about Abreu's age and fears about how he's declining in just about all of the past few seasons. It typically just results in him coming back around with a huge month. I mean, this is the same Abreu who was on fire in May. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

He was standing up because they were throwing the high fastball as a strikeout pitch, he didn't move to the side at all.

I thought I saw his glove go over to the left side of his mask, away from Marwin -- but I could be wrong. The pitch was also right down the middle. So, I think that's very open to interpretation. 

I'll take it Gio. Great outing. If Kemp doesn't get that fluke hit, he probably gets out of the inning and has his first CG (doubt Sox score in the 9th anyways). 

Edited by SoxAce

1 minute ago, Richie said:

I agree, but I've seen conversations about Abreu's age and fears about how he's declining in just about all of the past few seasons. It typically just results in him coming back around with a huge month. I mean, this is the same Abreu who was on fire in May. 

He's been getting gradually weaker against fastballs year after year, I caught that in his stats about 2 weeks ago. What happened last year though was he suddenly became far better against basically every single offspeed pitch and that pushed his numbers back up. So far though, that's been unsustainable, he's just back to normal against offspeed stuff, but he's continued getting weaker and weaker against good fastballs.

I thought I saw his glove go over to the left side of his mask, away from Marwin -- but I could be wrong. The pitch was also right down the middle. So, I think that's very open to interpretation. 

The Stros broadcast showed like 4 replays a minute ago as their play of the day, he was standing straight up, that was going to be a high fastball.

1 minute ago, fathom said:

It's like they refuse to let him leave on a positive note. About the 6th time it's happened this season.

Yeah, it sucks. We still need to handle him with kiddie gloves and yet we keep trying to push the envelope.

Stay tuned and see how a great Giolito performance can turn into a poor stat line with 4 ER's. 

It's coming up, after these messages!

Can definitely see it. But luckily it isn't Gio himself causing it. The kid knows he pitched well.

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

The Stros broadcast showed like 4 replays a minute ago as their play of the day, he was standing straight up, that was going to be a high fastball.

Hmm... I'm watching the Stros broadcast. Okay, I believe. Must have missed it. I think I saw a side view that appeared that way.