This is a game thread

Kyyle23

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

5 of Giolito's last 6 starts have been pretty damn good.  Velocity for sure has stabilized in the 93-94 range, and he looks infinitely more comfortable throwing it.

I wonder if he has a little more in the tank with the fastball. We've seen him reach 96 5-6 times this season so maybe as he gets more comfortable with his mechanics, and being able to throw strikes, he'll be able to let it loose some more. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

3 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Last couple weeks have been the best I've seen Yoan from the Right Side.    Let's hope. 

Patience is key with him. I don't think he'll ever be as good from the right side as he is from the left, but I do think he'll improve steadily from the right side with more reps. 

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I wonder if he has a little more in the tank with the fastball. We've seen him reach 96 a 5-6 times this season so maybe as he gets more comfortable with his mechanics, and being able to throw strikes, he'll be able to let it loose some more. 

I like his 4 seamer much better around 93-94 with the late movement. If he's ever going to miss a lot of bats, it's going to be with his offspeed stuff anyway. 

Just now, Jose Abreu said:

Patience is key with him. I don't think he'll ever be as good from the right side as he is from the left, but I do think he'll improve steadily from the right side with more reps. 

Yeah, Moncada oozes talent but is really raw for a 23 year old. Most of this has to do with the Sawx rushing him. He didn't get all that much time at the AA and AAA level as maybe he should have. 

4 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I like his 4 seamer much better around 93-94 with the late movement. If he's ever going to miss a lot of bats, it's going to be with his offspeed stuff anyway. 

I think he can miss bats with the 4 seamer if switching from the circle change to the straight change works for him. I think if he needs 95-96 he should have it in his back pocket, if indeed he still has it, and use it for strikeouts. He did throw one at 96.4 this season according to pitch/fx, a so I believe he still has it. also noticed that he has the same problem as Kopech where he loses velocity when he throws the fastball up in the zone. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Yeah, Moncada oozes talent but is really raw for a 23 year old. Most of this has to do with the Sawx rushing him. He didn't get all that much time at the AA and AAA level as maybe he should have. 

I agree it's the BoSox who initiated his rush to the bigs, but maybe the Sox should have held him down longer themselves.      Especially on starting his service clock when clearly this team was going nowhere for awhile.  

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

I think he can miss bats with the 4 seamer if switching from the circle change to the straight change works for him. I think if he needs 95-96 he should have it in his back pocket, if indeed he still has it, and use it for strikeouts. 

With his motion and lack of deception, I just don't think he'll ever be a power pitcher and use his fb like that. His 96 doesn't look like a lot of other guy's 96. The key to everything he does is having good enough control of the curve to use it in all counts and to keep hitters honest. 

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

I agree it's the BoSox who initiated his rush to the bigs, but maybe the Sox should have held him down longer themselves.      Especially on starting his service clock when clearly this team was going nowhere for awhile.  

Honestly, I didn't think he was ready when they called him up, and he shouldn't have been up until around Memorial Day 2018, at the earliest. Not only was there zero reason to start his clock, he could have used more ABs in AAA too. 

10 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

With his motion and lack of deception, I just don't think he'll ever be a power pitcher and use his fb like that. His 96 doesn't look like a lot of other guy's 96. The key to everything he does is having good enough control of the curve to use it in all counts and to keep hitters honest. 

I think he should be a sinker/slider guy to be honest. If you have a low spin rate, that makes for a better sinker. I've been watching Both his curve and slider are above average in terms of break, so why not use the one that misses more bats. When Giolito is on he's a ground ball machine. He might not ever be the power pitcher that most thought, but it doesn't mean he can't be a solid #3-4, with #2 upside. He's probably not going to be a 200 K guy, but more like 160-180 when it is all said and done. But then again, nobody pegged Quintana as a 200 K guy and he's done it once, and settled in at about 180-190. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

2 minutes ago, Jose Abreu said:

Avi has entered the game as a defensive replacement in the 8th inning. Ok then. Guess he's not too sick to play after all? Maybe there was something to that conspiracy 

He was just getting “checked out” and has magically been cleared for baseball activities at 10pm PST.  Definitely seems a bit fishy to me.