Official 2018-19 NFL Thread

If the Bears lose this week, I could see a downward spiral where the only game they win the remainder of the season is the SF game and they finish 9-7. I'm worried that Trubisky is going to miss a lot of time. When he missed the Lions game, and now the Giants game, I can't help but wonder if Trubisky has a 4-6 week injury. Coincidentally, that is the majority of the remainder of the season. This is what always happens to the Bears, any success must be taken with a massive grain of salt because whenever there is success, disaster is just around the corner. Whomever said that Bears fans are conditioned to always expect the worst is correct. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Tony said:

Well, that didn’t take long. 

You can't ever get excited with the Bears. You just can't. Every time they look really good, their most important players get injured, and usually long term or long enough to tank the season. Even in 2006, during their last super bowl appearance, they lost Tommie Harris and Mike Brown for the season. Neither player was ever the same. This shit just keeps happening to them. If they didn't have bad luck, they'd have no luck at all. 

I only remember since Wanne was coach so we'll forget his epic failures. 

Every decent season since 2000: 

2001: Jim Miller separates his shoulder in Q1 of their playoff game 

2005: Defensive epic failure vs. Steve Smith

2006: Mike Brown and Tommie Harris out for season by second week of December, Defense isn't historically good anymore.

2010: Cutler tears knee up during 1st quarter of NFCCG vs. GB

2011: Bears start 8-3, Cutler breaks thumb and misses remainder of season. Bears finish 8-8

2013: Conte epic failure with less than 1 minute to play vs. GB

Now for 2018: Great defense again, QB injured(again) and nobody knows how long he's actually going to be out. It could end up that it is just another season derailed by an injury to the team's most important player. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Cowboys defense came to plaaayyyyy. And it's nice that my favorite team avenged the loss to the Saints for my 2nd favorite team. That was a really nice of them.

I was really hoping the Cowboys would have taken a WR last year in the 1st RD of the draft, but man, Thad Castle has been amazing. I think they said on the broadcast he leads the NFL in solo tackles. He had 10 tonight. He is ALL OVER the place, and he seems to be a great tackler as well. And shit, now that they got Amari Cooper doing big things, they basically got their 1st WR and they got Thad Castle shoring up that defense. On the broadcast they were bringing up what to do with Thad when Sean Lee comes back, but I guess I just assumed Thad, Lee, and Jaylon Smith would all play at the same time? Wouldn't Damien Wilson be the one being displaced?

16 minutes ago, ChiliIrishHammock24 said:

I was really hoping the Cowboys would have taken a WR last year in the 1st RD of the draft, but man, Thad Castle has been amazing. I think they said on the broadcast he leads the NFL in solo tackles. He had 10 tonight. He is ALL OVER the place, and he seems to be a great tackler as well. 

Didn't even know that was his nickname, but it's hilarious 

8 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

You can't ever get excited with the Bears. You just can't. Every time they look really good, their most important players get injured, and usually long term or long enough to tank the season. Even in 2006, during their last super bowl appearance, they lost Tommie Harris and Mike Brown for the season. Neither player was ever the same. This shit just keeps happening to them. If they didn't have bad luck, they'd have no luck at all. 

2006: Mike Brown and Tommie Harris out for season by second week of December, Defense isn't historically good anymore.

2011: Bears start 8-3, Cutler breaks thumb and misses remainder of season. Bears finish 8-8

Now for 2018: Great defense again, QB injured(again) and nobody knows how long he's actually going to be out. It could end up that it is just another season derailed by an injury to the team's most important player. 

9 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

No, -you-can't get excited about the bears.  

My comment about bears fans being conditioned to expect the worst was in jest, it wasn't meant to draw you out and start laying out multiple scenarios in which you feel you are sure they will miss the playoffs 

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

No, -you-can't get excited about the bears.  

My comment about bears fans being conditioned to expect the worst was in jest, it wasn't meant to draw you out and start laying out multiple scenarios in which you feel you are sure they will miss the playoffs 

I blame myself. I started the car and then ole jackie parkman took the wheel and drove it into lake michigan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 9/9/2018 at 11:01 PM, Jack Parkman said:

1. They were getting stuffed on those calls. 

2. There isn't really anything they could have done, other than cover better and get to the damn QB? If the players don't execute, they lose

3. The receivers were blanketed. Hats off to the GB secondary. They have much better DBs now than the Bears do. 

4. This reminds me of the shirt that my dad had in the early 90s, titled "Top 10 lies told at Wrigley Field" in which #4 was "Dunston needs more time to develop" Put up or shut up. 

With the Mack trade, Pace has put the team in such a horrible position that it might take a decade to dig out of this mess. 

Phil Emery: I can trash a team so badly it takes a half decade to dig out of it

Ryan Pace: Hold my beer. 

just stop with the hot takes dude.  

• Love 1

19 hours ago, Tony said:

Jas....you're wrong, lol. Sorry buddy. 

Mitch is a reps QB, he has said it multiple times before, and they aren't going to put him out there without him practicing for two weeks. 

Quite frankly, Nagy hasn't done much to make me question his judgement. If Mitch is healthy and those chose not to play him, and the Giants win, then you can question him all you want. But until then, I'm going to get him the benefit of the doubt that he knows his QB and roster much better than we do. 

Tony...you got to go back to the immediate statements I made when the injury came out. I said, either this is something he should be back and playing quickly or this turns into a Ryan Tannehill situation and he misses a solid chunk of time.  I don't see it being in-between. If it is a bruise, like is being reported, he should be able to play and the Bears are, potentially getting too cute.

I totally got it with Robinson and Mack...this is our QB and he's a young QB who still needs a lot of reps, etc.  I also don't believe in Chase Daniel as much as everyone else does. The more he plays, the worse he will play.  Even Mitch's quotes yesterday, he basically said he isn't allowed to say much (which is fine) but it makes me suspicious. Either this injury is way worse then is leading on, or Bears are using this as an opportunity to force a bit more game planning out of the Giants.  

In the NFL, where you only have 16 games in the regular season, the notion that you can just sit your QB (@ 90%) because you think you can win without him just doesn't make any sense to me (and I'm not saying you have said that is the case, but a lot of fans seem to just think we can rest guys and win at ease...the NFL doesn't work that way, it doesn't and if the Bears somehow believe that and keep playing with fire, they will get burned).  Basically put, either he's more injured than the various reports have been (in which case, fine, I get it and I stand corrected) or they are being overly cautious.  

Note: All of my aboves are clearly hot-takes since I have zero inside information.  

7 minutes ago, StrangeSox said:

If the Bears lose this week, I could see a downward spiral where the only game they win the remainder of the decade if not century

Ok...I get it...but if they lose to the Giants, here is who they play. Underdog in two of the games, so it isn't some massive hottake to say if they lose to the Giants a plausible scenario might exist where they only win one game. This is a good football team, but there are still major unknowns including injuries and in the NFL fluke happens.  I hope I'm wrong and the Bears go on to destroy the Giants, shock the Rams and win out and get the 2nd seed. I legitimately could see that happening too.  I'd probably be more surprised by them winning out then them winning just 1-2 more games from here on out (which is why I'm saying...if Mitch could play without risking injury..than you play him).  

- vs. Rams (Bears will not be favored unless Girley and Goff go down)

- vs. Packers (we would be the favorites at this point, however, its the Packers and Rodgers has owned the Bears his entire career; I just can't say that such a game is a walk in a park)

- @ San Francisco (Better win this game, even if it is on the road)

- @ Vikings (my best guess would be Vikes favored by 3ish)

I am also in favor of just trying to load the dice to make sure we beat SF and NYG. The reason why the bears playoff odds are 97 percent is because of two games on the schedule that are incredibly winnable. Let's make sure we win them.

9 minutes ago, Tony said:

Jason, I was simply replying to what you wrote. You believed Mitch was going to play this week, even with him missing practice this week. I told you that if he misses practice on Wednesday, he isn't going to play. That was really the only discussion. 

But, taking it a step further now, I do believe the Bears are being overly cautious. Mitch met the media yesterday and was very coy about what he could say, but it sounded like he was ready to play but the Bears didn't want to take any chances. They are playing the long game, which I don't think is the wrong call. I believe the Bears can beat the Giants with Chase, but I certainly think the odds are better with Mitch under center. And I fully understand the Giants could easily take down the Bears on Sunday, totally get that. But this team has shown enough this season where I don't believe one loss to the Giants will derail the entire season. As I mentioned earlier, 538 gives the Bears a 97% chance to make the playoffs as it stands today. I believe the Bears believe in that number and want to make sure Mitch is as healthy as can be for the last four games of the regular season. 

Okay, so you did get the same vibe on the Bears being overly cautious as I did.  The problem I have with the 538 number is the odds are so strong because we play the Giants and Niners. Or at least I think that is why they are so high.  Of course, lets just beat the Giants and then we will all feel so much better. I will admit, when it comes to the Bears, I have too many bad memories that I have a built in bias to think downside so that if it does happen, I don't get dissapointed haha.  It also makes me enjoy all the good wins so much more cause I very much am taking this whole season as just a bonus.  Love what has been done and even if they miss the playoffs, I've told myself I'll still be jacked up about what is to come next year (albeit...at this point...don't miss the playoffs Chicago...please) :) 

11 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

I am not quite sure why you follow the Bears if you spend your whole time waiting for something bad to happen.

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

I also think some of the percentage has to do with the Vikings schedule, which includes going to New England, going to Seattle, and having the Bears again. 

Just beat the Giants. 

Yes...what you said.. Just win baby!!! Just win!  

12 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If the Bears lose this week, I could see a downward spiral where the only game they win the remainder of the season is the SF game and they finish 9-7. I'm worried that Trubisky is going to miss a lot of time. When he missed the Lions game, and now the Giants game, I can't help but wonder if Trubisky has a 4-6 week injury. Coincidentally, that is the majority of the remainder of the season. This is what always happens to the Bears, any success must be taken with a massive grain of salt because whenever there is success, disaster is just around the corner. Whomever said that Bears fans are conditioned to always expect the worst is correct. 

When Mack and Robinson missed the Jets and Bills games, did you think the same? Because the worst always happens to the Bears and they have bad luck?!

Nagy has said 4 times now that the injury is improving, it's not long term and he's following the same process that Robinson and Mack did (2 weeks).

Relax and stop being a lunatic.