9/28/18 Double header Sox at Twins

New positive spin on Giolito's late season slide...subconsciously attempting to help our draft status.

So we have Rodon, Lopez and 3 wing and a prayers, which will undoubtedly be Covey, Giolito and a veteran placeholder.  Giolito and Covey get until June/July, HOPEFULLY NO MORE, unless they're down in the 4's for ERA.

5 minutes ago, fathom said:

Letting Smith hit in the 9th instead of Yoan or Delmonico was pretty obvious 

Yea, in most circumstances that would be...but this is a Renteria managed ballclub.  But I guess it doesn't really matter what the intent was...they didn't use their stronger bullets.

Several of these players are interesting, but it would be nice if a few would become studs.

Edited by GreenSox

6 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

Hahn already said he is happy with the coaching staff and they will all be back in 2019

I know it's a game thread so everything is awful but I'm ok with this for now. Even if they were doing everything right, there would be some guys dramatically struggling, with the places where these guys were when they were brought up. 

Out of everything this year, the rash of minor league injuries worries me way more than these guys struggling after callups. That's the thing that we can't allow to become a trend.

I know most people on here are happy as a pig in poop that the Sox will lose this game and are thus closing in on the 3rd pick in next year's draft.  

However, I'm very concerned about yet another hideous performance by Giolito.  He finishes the year with an ERA  of 6.13.  He's been crappy for basically the entire year.  After his first start of the year, his ERA was 4.50.   It would never be that low again.  From his next start until tonight, his ERA was in the 5's, 6's, and 7's for the entire year.  And this is a large part of our future? 

We're now down to 2 dependable starters for next year---Rodon and Lopez.

6 minutes ago, bubba phillips said:

I know most people on here are happy as a pig in poop that the Sox will lose this game and are thus closing in on the 3rd pick in next year's draft.  

However, I'm very concerned about yet another hideous performance by Giolito.  He finishes the year with an ERA  of 6.13.  He's been crappy for basically the entire year.  After his first start of the year, his ERA was 4.50.   It would never be that low again.  From his next start until tonight, his ERA was in the 5's, 6's, and 7's for the entire year.  And this is a large part of our future? 

And nobody can be 100% on Rodon, at this point...from a physical health standpoint, or consistent performance, for that matter.

Lopez has gone from projected 4-5/back end/high leverage reliever to #2.

Cease basically has to be the real deal, AND stay healthy for the next 5 years.

1 minute ago, bubba phillips said:

I'm somewhat worried about Giolito in this stretch, but just before this he was showing more promise. What's changed? His average velocity spent most of the season climbing and then in July and August it was over 93. These last few starts its been back down below 92.  That could be something else, but I'm gonna go with end of season/150+ innings in the big leagues for the first time and dead arm as my most likely explanation.

I am surprised that some folks think Gio only gets another year to perform to their expectations. A young pitcher needs time to develop. He did win 10 games this year. He is learning and gaining experience. We have a young starting staff except for Shields. They have a pretty good future 

8 minutes ago, elrockinMT said:

I am surprised that some folks think Gio only gets another year to perform to their expectations. A young pitcher needs time to develop. He did win 10 games this year. He is learning and gaining experience. We have a young starting staff except for Shields. They have a pretty good future 

James Baldwin?  Danny Wright?

• Balta1701 unpinned and locked this topic