Levine: Sox won't offer more than 7 years for either player

bmags

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

The offseason is just not fun anymore. 

When your team is one of the few in on some of the most exciting and celebrated free agents in history, it should be fun to follow. 

This is frustrating and old and I hate it. I don’t know if it’s social media that’s to blame, or another instance of teams and layers finding optimal strategies that are just happen to be worse for fans to follow, but it sucks and o wish it would end. 

+300 Million

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

When your team is one of the few in on some of the most exciting and celebrated free agents in history, it should be fun to follow. 

This is frustrating and old and I hate it. I don’t know if it’s social media that’s to blame, or another instance of teams and layers finding optimal strategies that are just happen to be worse for fans to follow, but it sucks and o wish it would end. 

I am fully in favor of artificial deadlines to make the offseason more fun to follow. It would also serve in allowing some functional time off for front offices in january.

Flurry of activity > slow trickles of activity over months. Would much rather beat a dead horse to the ground of potential lineups than contract opt outs and analyzing instagram.

You can't tell me it would meaningfully change team building. The disadvantages would be marginal, to whatever degree teams are gaining from stringing vets along.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I am fully in favor of artificial deadlines to make the offseason more fun to follow. It would also serve in allowing some functional time off for front offices in january.

Flurry of activity > slow trickles of activity over months. Would much rather beat a dead horse to the ground of potential lineups than contract opt outs and analyzing instagram.

You can't tell me it would meaningfully change team building. The disadvantages would be marginal, to whatever degree teams are gaining from stringing vets along.

I think it is actually disadvantageous to players tbh. It gives teams less time to move money around, and also free agents lose leverage in negotiations. In other words, it will never happen. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

I think it is actually disadvantageous to players tbh. It gives teams less time to move money around, and also gives free agents lose leverage in negotiations. In other words, it will never happen. 

Teams would adjust. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Nope, it's lasting another 3-5 weeks. 

Not the Machado sweepstakes, those will be over by next week if not by this weekend.  My guess is right now is when the poker is being played and Manny’s agent is working teams against one another.  The Bruce Levine tweet makes me feel that stuff might be finally be happening in the background.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Not the Machado sweepstakes, those will be over by next week if not by this weekend.  My guess is right now is when the poker is being played and Manny’s agent is working teams against one another.  The Bruce Levine tweet makes me feel that stuff might be finally be happening in the background.

Who knows when it will end.

15 minutes ago, Eminor3rd said:

This is frustrating and old and I hate it. I don’t know if it’s social media that’s to blame, or another instance of teams and players finding “optimal” strategies that just happen to be worse and less fun for fans to following consume, but it sucks and i wish it would end. 

The thrill of wrapped unknowns is greater than opening all of them to find out you got Ivan Nova for Christmas.

5 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Even as the second fiddle in Chicago, they have more of a market then they would pretty much anywhere else realistic,.

It depends on how the market shakes out over the next 10 years. If the Sox continue to be bad to awful, and the Cubs continue to make postseasons, I'm not so sure. I'm worried about the Sox' U25 fanbase. There are teenagers too young to remember the last time the Sox were in the playoffs, while their formative fandom years the Cubs were awesome. Don't discount that. They may have lost an entire generation or two of Chicago baseball fans. It could be too much to ever recover from here. 16 year olds were born in 2002-03. The last time the Sox made the playoffs they were 6 years old. I barely remember the 93 team when I was 6. Meanwhile with the Cubs.....

Edited by Jack Parkman

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

Even as the second fiddle in Chicago, they have more of a market then they would pretty much anywhere else realistic,.

Didn’t you post the thread about the Cubs being so frustrated that the Ricketts considered leaving?

Offseason should still be fun even with the frustrating tweets. The tweets are all part of the game. Both sides are playing it.  If we miss out on both marquee guys, we still have a fantastic farm system and tons of payroll freedom. 2020, either way, will be a win-now type situation and it'll be poised for consistent improvement..not a standalone win-now year

Edited by Princess Dye
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The thrill of wrapped unknowns is greater than opening all of them to find out you got Ivan Nova for Christmas.

Sure, but we don’t leave the presents under the tree for six months leading up to Christmas. There’s some kind of ideal anticipation period, and we probably had it at some point over the last ten years, but I think we are way beyond it right now and I think it’s been that way for at least a few seasons

Just now, Eminor3rd said:

Sure, but we don’t leave the presents under the tree for six months leading up to Christmas. There’s some kind of ideal anticipation period, and we probably had it at some point over the last ten years, but I think we are way beyond it right now and I think it’s been that way for at least a few seasons

People are bored of the rebuild by now, even though it was what they asked for two years ago.  They are also green-eyed about a certain team across town.  We all knew this would be a process and I think a lot of people got way too excited about the thrill of the hunt for these top two players.  The odds were never in our favor.  We are District 13 right now.

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

People are bored of the rebuild by now, even though it was what they asked for two years ago.  They are also green-eyed about a certain team across town.  We all knew this would be a process and I think a lot of people got way too excited about the thrill of the hunt for these top two players.  The odds were never in our favor.  We are District 13 right now.

But what if the issue is that Hahn and Kenny fall into this category also?

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I don't think that's his critique at all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fathom said:

But what if the issue is that Hahn and Kenny fall into this category also?

You think Hahn is bored of the rebuild? No man, you gotta give him more credit than that.  If whales don't pan out they will stay course.  He knows opportunity presented itself and they are trying to take advantage.  He's been preaching sustained success.

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Where’s our Jennifer Lawrence, at least?   It’s just our luck to get more Woody Harrelsons...

And the villains here are the Cubs, Yankees and Dodgers?  I guess Ricketts himself would work.

Edited by caulfield12