I keep scratching my head over the Kevan Smith DFA

Rankin

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm not sure anyone does. Those moves aren't mutually exclusive though as I explained in this thread months ago. They needed Smith's roster spot to add Zavala. They weren't going to carry 4 catchers on the 40-man. They tried to sneak Smith through waivers with (Zavala, Castillo, Narvaez) on the 40-man. It didn't work and the Angels claimed him. Then the Sox got the opportunity to acquire a really good late inning reliever for 2 years in exchange for Narvaez (who isn't their long term answer at the position either). Losing Smith and adding McCann have nothing to do with each other. I didn't want McCann either. I preferred Martin Maldonado. That's a different argument though. 

Were there no other people worth dropping from the 40 man roster at the time?

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

Were there no other people worth dropping from the 40 man roster at the time?

Of course there were. But they likely didn't want to keep 4 catchers at the time. They also likely thought that Kevan Smith could be replaced if lost because he's 30 years old and extremely ordinary. 

6 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Of course there were. But they likely didn't want to keep 4 catchers at the time. They also likely thought that Kevan Smith could be replaced if lost because he's 30 years old and extremely ordinary. 

While that is probably true, they also thought that avoiding guaranteed expenses 9 years out is a priority, and that still makes the extra wasted $2 million look particularly bad. If they're that concerned about expenses so long in the future then they can't act that irresponsibly now. This set of moves looks far worse when you follow their own standard. 

While that is probably true, they also thought that avoiding guaranteed expenses 9 years out is a priority, and that still makes the extra wasted $2 million look particularly bad. If they're that concerned about expenses so long in the future then they can't act that irresponsibly now. This set of moves looks far worse when you follow their own standard. 

Okay? Kevan Smith is just a guy though. I don't really see the need for some greater meaning here. They had Castillo/Narvaez as a tandem with Zavala and Collins knocking on the door. I'm not sure why this is so hard to figure out. 

1 minute ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Okay? Kevan Smith is just a guy though. I don't really see the need for some greater meaning here. They had Castillo/Narvaez as a tandem with Zavala and Collins knocking on the door. I'm not sure why this is so hard to figure out. 

You can't complain (loudly) about your 2028 payroll in 2019 while you waste $2.5 million in 2019. Straightforward statement, 100% following their own words. 

20 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I'm not sure anyone does. Those moves aren't mutually exclusive though as I explained in this thread months ago. They needed Smith's roster spot to add Zavala. They weren't going to carry 4 catchers on the 40-man. They tried to sneak Smith through waivers with (Zavala, Castillo, Narvaez) on the 40-man. It didn't work and the Angels claimed him. Then the Sox got the opportunity to acquire a really good late inning reliever for 2 years in exchange for Narvaez (who isn't their long term answer at the position either). Losing Smith and adding McCann have nothing to do with each other. I didn't want McCann either. I preferred Martin Maldonado. That's a different argument though. 

This is a great post.

• Like 2

Kevan Smith is a great guy.  He'll likely also be out of major league baseball before this season is over, and he's at best a coin's flip to return.  He isn't very good.  The hand wringing over this move is silly.  

And that is coming from someone that pretty much hates everything about the McCann signing, though as Y2J mentioned, the two are mutually exclusive.  

• Like 2

You can't waste $2 million here, $3 million there, $6 million there, and then complain about having no money to keep your next core together in 5+ years. That's why this looks extra bad. As many have pointed out, without counting Abreu, they added $44 million in payroll this year and did so with few improvements to the team and even downgrades at some positions. If you're going to penny pinch when it matters, then every other cent you spent deserves extra focus, and if $2 million was wasted because "We didn't want to hold 4 catchers on our 40 man roster", the wasted money deserves to be questioned. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can't waste $2 million here, $3 million there, $6 million there, and then complain about having no money to keep your next core together in 5+ years. That's why this looks extra bad. As many have pointed out, without counting Abreu, they added $44 million in payroll this year and did so with few improvements to the team and even downgrades at some positions. If you're going to penny pinch when it matters, then every other cent you spent deserves extra focus, and if $2 million was wasted because "We didn't want to hold 4 catchers on our 40 man roster", the wasted money deserves to be questioned. 

We get it dude.  No one likes the move.  It happened.  Kevan Smith still sucks.  James McCann also sucks.  One costs like $1.75M more than the other. Not a huge deal.  No is complaining about not having money to keep the core together.  Some comments from the FO (mainly KW) have been taken out of context.  At the end of the day, the White Sox decided that they didn't want to guarantee a declining and aging 35 and 36 year old Manny Machado over $25M per.  95% of us don't agree with it, but it is what it is now.  

2 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

We get it dude.  No one likes the move.  It happened.  Kevan Smith still sucks.  James McCann also sucks.  One costs like $1.75M more than the other. Not a huge deal.  No is complaining about not having money to keep the core together.  Some comments from the FO (mainly KW) have been taken out of context.  At the end of the day, the White Sox decided that they didn't want to guarantee a declining and aging 35 and 36 year old Manny Machado over $25M per.  95% of us don't agree with it, but it is what it is now.  

Carrying that amount of water seems rather painful.

Just now, Balta1701 said:

Carrying that amount of water seems rather painful.

Please provide me quotes where Rick Hahn complained about not having money to keep the core together, and better yet, how that relates to $1.75M additional dollars spent in 2019 on James McCann as opposed to Kevan Smith.

I will wait.  

Just now, ChiSox59 said:

Please provide me quotes where Rick Hahn complained about not having money to keep the core together, and better yet, how that relates to $1.75M additional dollars spent in 2019 on James McCann as opposed to Kevan Smith.

I will wait.  

Rather than waste my time with the legalese because RH doesn't give you anything in those statements...let's just default to "The money will be spent". Some of it was, on replacing Kevan Smith with James McCann. 

And yes, saying "You can't use multiply repeated quotes from the executive VP of baseball operations" is also another jug of water to carry for them. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Rather than waste my time with the legalese because RH doesn't give you anything in those statements...let's just default to "The money will be spent". Some of it was, on replacing Kevan Smith with James McCann. 

And yes, saying "You can't use multiply repeated quotes from the executive VP of baseball operations" is also another jug of water to carry for them. 

Lol.  Whatever man.  Tune into a few games this year instead of spending all your time on here telling all of us how awful this organization is.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Come on pal. You're really reaching here. 

1.75 million in baseball is absolutely nothing. Harping on this is b****ing just to b****. 

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Come on pal. You're really reaching here. 

1.75 million in baseball is absolutely nothing. Harping on this is b****ing just to b****. 

$5 a day for a coffee is absolutely nothing, but I don't know why I can't afford my rent this month. 

Penny-wise, pound-foolish. 

• Thanks 2

I can just hear Hahn right now.

”The money will be spent...

on a bunch of scrub players that Kenny and I dumpster dive for!  Deal with it, Sox fans!  Hahahahahaaa!”

I agree with Balta.  The money all adds up.  $2.5 million for McCann, $4 million for Jay, $9 million for Alonso.  And what are these guys doing for you?  Does anyone expect them to have good seasons?  They are roster fillers who aren’t worth the money Hahn is paying them.  I’d rather have Kevan Smith as our backup catcher, Palka at DH, Engel as a backup CFer, and one better player for around $14 million than a trio of suck.  Hahn and Kenny think more is better.  They always pick quantity over quality cuz it worked one time for the Sox in 2005.

Edited by Harper2Sox
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You sure do love protecting a horribly incompetent front office.

Huh?

It was a joke because of his fake insider stuff from that birthday party in the Machado thread. Just having some fun with the guy.

Relax, take a step back and have a laugh pal. My goodness.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run