And That's a Double White Sox Winner

Heads22

1 hour ago, poppysox said:

When in a rebuild...finding a player who wasn't on the radar (McCann) is really BIG.  Tilson has also been a pleasant surprise.  Perhaps two pieces of the 25 man puzzle.

Agreed! Lineup looks entirely different with Tilson...guys a pro and a tough out. Please lock up McCann!!!

I was a bit concerned in the first inning last night.  Giolito didn't look sharp, and his one big mistake gave the Royals a quick 3-0 lead.  After that his stuff looked nasty.  The Royals couldn't hit anything.  Thankfully the offense was able to give him 4 runs.

McCann continues to impress.  At the beginning of the season I joked with my kids and said I wanted a McCann jersey for Father's Day.  Now I really do want one.

1 hour ago, TBrown54 said:

Yes, they averaged 74 wins per year between 2012 and 2016.  Those teams could not hit.  FO has no excuse for such lousy teams, no playoffs, and declining attendance for past decade.        

It’s not 1982. Zero of that matters in Cy Young voting. 

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Let's just remember Rodon has had several late summer periods just like the one Giolito is having. The key is to sustain it on a consistent basis.

This just tells me the key is to not get hurt. Which it is. 

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Let's just remember Rodon has had several late summer periods just like the one Giolito is having. The key is to sustain it on a consistent basis.

I don't think Rodon ever looked this good.  If he did, I forgot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flash said:

What would be a realistic expectation for Colome? Red Sox have a strong LH hitting 1B prospect in Tristan Casas (who might obviate any interest in Vaughn in favor of Abrams).

Boston struggles to produce pitching which is really what we need. Maybe there is a live arm in their system. Otherwise, try and find the best OF prospect they have. 

4 hours ago, Flash said:

What would be a realistic expectation for Colome? Red Sox have a strong LH hitting 1B prospect in Tristan Casas (who might obviate any interest in Vaughn in favor of Abrams).

I guess two players:  Two relief pitchers/RP-prospects or a relief pitcher and second tier hitting prospect (fourth OF caliber). 

5 hours ago, oldsox said:

I don't think Rodon ever looked this good.  If he did, I forgot.

He did actually. From an article dated August 27, 2018 : Rodon is 5-0 with a   1.84 ERA   in his past nine starts. The 25-year-old left-hander hasn’t lost since June 30. Nine straight qaslity starts that broke a Sox record that was around since 1908.

From July 20 2017 to August 21 he had 5 straight starts where he didn't give up more than 2 runs, 36 IP 9 earned runs. 37 K and 9 walks,   2.25 ERA

In 2016 from August 6 to Sept. 9,  7 starts, 43.2IP ,9 earned runs ,  1.85 ERA,   40 K's 10 walks.

So that's 3 straight years with a real good hot streak. All  for July and August basically  2 starts in Sept of 2016.

Funny thing is I saw article that said his change up was better and also some that said he started using his sinker  more when Narvaez would catch him instead of Navarro. The one about his 2017 hot streak said he used the sinker a lot more  https://www.southsidesox.com/2017/8/24/16186178/carlos-rodons-hot-streak-coincides-with-reintroduction-of-sinker

Another article said  article said the sinker Rodons worst pitch of 2018 so he decided to go fastball slider heavy cutting out the sinker almost completely and cutting way back on the change up.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
mo info

4 hours ago, TBrown54 said:

I guess two players:  Two relief pitchers/RP-prospects or a relief pitcher and second tier hitting prospect (fourth OF caliber). 

Remember that at this phase of the rebuild trades don't have to involved prospects.  I would look for teams that have major league ready guys who are blocked by an established star.

8 hours ago, mqr said:

It’s not 1982. Zero of that matters in Cy Young voting. 

Consider the intangibles.  An elite pitcher rotting away in baseball Siberia, must be very discouraging.  How could it not have affected him?  One day, he just snapped and he took a scissors to the team's retro uniforms.  Plus, he shredded the wrong ones; should have been the Sunday license plate uniforms (but that's a new topic).