Colome remains with White Sox, who always had ample interest in him

Sockin

39 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I think Happ is who the Cubs offer for Colome.  They plan on moving him for a reliever and I think their CarGo signing indicates that.

I'd keep him before I trade him for Happ.  Happ really is a dime a dozen type of player.  No thanks.

19 minutes ago, Flash said:

Boston...Casas

Cubs...Hoerner

Dodgers....Pederson

Milwaukee...Turang

Atlanta...Waters

All good names except Pederson now.  He has been amazing this year but with only one more year of control after this season, I don’t think he makes much sense as a target.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

45 minutes ago, Flash said:

Boston...Casas

Cubs...Hoerner

Dodgers....Pederson

Milwaukee...Turang

Atlanta...Waters

I think the only two on that list the Sox could get would be Casas and Turang. The braves would probably offer a young starter since they have so many. Slim chance the cubs would give up hoerner unless they get really desperate. 

With that being said, I’d instantly trade Colomé for anyone on that list. 

Edited by MyNamesRod

29 minutes ago, MyNamesRod said:

I think the only two on that list the Sox could get would be Casas and Turang. The braves would probably offer a young starter since they have so many. Slim chance the cubs would give up hoerner unless they get really desperate. 

With that being said, I’d instantly trade Colomé for anyone on that list. 

Yeah, we aren't getting Nico for Colome. No chance. No chance in hell.

18 hours ago, greg775 said:

I checked google and there were no prices for The Cell available. So there. It still belies the point. It costs a good buck to get food, drink and to park the car and the Sox have a responsibility to try to win or hand out refunds. If Colome is still doing well and the team is doing well and they trade him for some Top 80 prospect, fans should get some sort of refund.

I'd believe you if not for the fact that I found results on the front page of Google.

16 hours ago, greg775 said:

How come we haven't had much success flipping players? I repeat the only flipping I want is at Wonderburger. That said if we are to trade anybody trade them now. You'll get more value this early in the season.

Two of the players fueling this team right now, Tilson and Cordell, were flipped for Zach Duke and Anthony Swarzak respectively. Two players nowhere near Colome's value.

Ti'Quan Forbes is one of the few guys producing in AA this year. He was acquired for half a year of Miguel Gonzalez. Felix Paulino is pitching ok in Birmingham after being acquired for Luis Avilan.

Yes, Rutherford has been a disappointment. Medeiros was a flyer for Joakim Soria who you thought was shit. Casey Gilaspie ended up not sticking, but that was for a LOOGY.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BackDoorBreach said:

Not Mr.220 in AAA Ian Happ with a 30% k rate.  That's my idea.

I guess the point of me asking you that question was lost on you. I can also surmise that me posting the link with his recent resurgence in the minors was also lost on you.

Just to be accurate his current BA in the minors is .238 and his K rate is 25.5 . If you had bothered to read the article you would know this instead of posting lower inaccurate totals to support your case.

So I'll do you a favor and post some of that article to make it easier on you. I know it might be difficult to consider that a guy who has already had some success in the majors and won't be a FA until 2024 and is still shy of his 25th birthday might not be a finished product yet. Maybe you wee one of those guys saying Giolito or Moncada sucked.

From the link I provided earlier : Over the week-plus, however, it looks as though Happ may be putting some things together. He didn’t homer in his first 10 games of the season and had only two dingers through his first 21 games. But he’s now hit four homers in his last 11 games and his other counting stats are looking quite a bit better as well .

From a tweet posted May 30th in that article:

Solo blast for Ian Happ in the third inning bumps the @IowaCubs lead up to 2-0. Homer #8 for Happ, which now ties him for the team-lead with Trent Giambrone.

Happ is now 8-for-18 (.444) over his last five games, 12-for-33 (.363) over his last 9 games.

And lastly from the article:

If, that is, you consider a .324 average and .649 slugging percentage over 10 games to be good. Happ is still striking out a lot more than he’s walking, but you’ll live with a 25.5% mark there. And though his .207 average as a lefty isn’t going to raise any eyebrows, his .353 OBP is a clear sign that he’s seeing the ball well from that side.

What’s more, two of the four homers and one of the three doubles he’s hit over the last 10 games have come from the left side. Given how much lower his season-long splits are as a lefty, a power surge may be in the offing for Happ.

I'm not saying Happ is the end all be all of possible guys the Sox could get for Colome just that it isn't as clear cut as you seem to think.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I guess the point of me asking you that question was lost on you. I can also surmise that me posting the link with his recent resurgence in the minors was also lost on you.

Just to be accurate his current BA in the minors is .238 and his K rate is 25.5 . If you had bothered to read the article you would know this instead of posting lower inaccurate totals to support your case.

So I'll do you a favor and post some of that article to make it easier on you. I know it might be difficult to consider that a guy who has already had some success in the majors and won't be a FA until 2024 and is still shy of his 25th birthday might not be a finished product yet. Maybe you wee one of those guys saying Giolito or Moncada sucked.

From the link I provided earlier : Over the week-plus, however, it looks as though Happ may be putting some things together. He didn’t homer in his first 10 games of the season and had only two dingers through his first 21 games. But he’s now hit four homers in his last 11 games and his other counting stats are looking quite a bit better as well .

From a tweet posted May 30th in that article:

Solo blast for Ian Happ in the third inning bumps the @IowaCubs lead up to 2-0. Homer #8 for Happ, which now ties him for the team-lead with Trent Giambrone.

Happ is now 8-for-18 (.444) over his last five games, 12-for-33 (.363) over his last 9 games.

And lastly from the article:

If, that is, you consider a .324 average and .649 slugging percentage over 10 games to be good. Happ is still striking out a lot more than he’s walking, but you’ll live with a 25.5% mark there. And though his .207 average as a lefty isn’t going to raise any eyebrows, his .353 OBP is a clear sign that he’s seeing the ball well from that side.

What’s more, two of the four homers and one of the three doubles he’s hit over the last 10 games have come from the left side. Given how much lower his season-long splits are as a lefty, a power surge may be in the offing for Happ.

I'm not saying Happ is the end all be all of possible guys the Sox could get for Colome just that it isn't as clear cut as you seem to think.

I would hope for a younger better prospect for Colome but wouldn’t complain if ultimately Happ is the return.  I think he is still worth taking a chance on and could be plugged into one of the two holes in the lineup (RF or 2B).  Then, throw your free agent money at a starter.

14 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I would hope for a younger better prospect for Colome but wouldn’t complain if ultimately Happ is the return.  I think he is still worth taking a chance on and could be plugged into one of the two holes in the lineup (RF or 2B).  Then, throw your free agent money at a starter.

If we think the Sox can get into the playoffs next year and sign a few guys in the off season then younger and possibly better might not help next year. Happ could help next year. Then again if you are trading Colome or/and ABreu that might indicate to some that the Sox don't think they can get into the playoffs next year. I don't think that's necessarily the case.

If you can get a significant trade piece for Colome/Abreu then you do it. Abreu can always be a FA agent acquisition and while relievers that produce as well as Colome might be harder to find there is no guarantee Colome will pitch as well the second half of the season or next year given that some of his outstanding numbers are due for regression.

These are tough calls no doubt and I'm glad I don't have o make them. It's the offers that will determine if they are traded, not if the Sox think they can contend next year.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

If we think the Sox can get into the playoffs next year and sign a few guys in the off season then younger and possibly better might not help next year. Happ could help next year. Then again if you are trading Colome or/and ABreu that might indicate to some that the Sox don't think they can get into the playoffs next year. I don't think that's necessarily the case.

If you can get a significant trade piece for Colome/Abreu then you do it. Abreu can always be a FA agent acquisition and while relievers that produce as well as Colome might be harder to find there is no guarantee Colome will pitch as well the second half of the season or next year given that some of his outstanding numbers are due for regression.

These are tough calls no doubt and I'm glad I don't have o make them. It's the offers that will determine if they are traded, not if the Sox think they can contend next year.

I don’t either.  I agree with you.  Colome has decided to have one of the best starts of his career.  You have to sell high on him.  I don’t think Abreu will bring back much but I wouldn’t mind seeing what the potential return would be.  Hahn can always sign another closer and resign Abreu in the offseason.  I don’t think these decisions are tough to make.  They make a ton of sense.

8 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

I don’t either.  I agree with you.  Colome has decided to have one of the best starts of his career.  You have to sell high on him.  I don’t think Abreu will bring back much but I wouldn’t mind seeing what the potential return would be.  Hahn can always sign another closer and resign Abreu in the offseason.  I don’t think these decisions are tough to make.  They make a ton of sense.

Is it that simple? I thought Hahn is a horrible evaluator of talent in free agency so how are you now so sure he can replace a top closer like Colome next winter via free agency?

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Is it that simple? I thought Hahn is a horrible evaluator of talent in free agency so how are you now so sure he can replace a top closer like Colome next winter via free agency?

Hahn’s offseason speaks for itself.  He acquired two good players.  The rest were a waste of $32 million.  But good closers aren’t exactly tough to identify.  It’s the middle relievers that require some luck.

5 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

They make sense to you and me but they won't to many looking to this season as a stepping stone into contention next year. But the talent level in the minors is drying up quickly especially with poor performances so far from the AA guys. I think we can't waste trade resources anymore on guys below AA or failed guys on their last legs Let the draft replenish the lower levels or use your international bonus money wisely. Or trade for a decent AA guy plus more international money. Just something different than us trading our bonus pool money away for once. There is so much money uncommitted to next year and it will be even more if ABreu and Colome are traded and if ALonso isn't allowed to get his option vested.

I think if you can snag a quality FA early in the process it would give the Sox more credibility as to their intentions and might spur other FA's to take the Sox as a destination more seriously.

28 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Don't forget about a possible deal for Garcia to someone as well.

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Hahn’s offseason speaks for itself.  He acquired two good players.  The rest were a waste of $32 million.  But good closers aren’t exactly tough to identify.  It’s the middle relievers that require some luck.

Which closer, specifically, would you want them to sign this winter?

• Like 1

Just now, Moan4Yoan said:

Here’s a list.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/08/2019-20-mlb-free-agents.html

Betances, Giles, Rondon.  There are some good options.

Betances hasn’t pitched all season due to injury. He was throwing upper 80s in spring training.

Giles is arb eligible next season. He won’t be available.  

Rondon was demoted by the Cubs from the closers role 3 years ago when he was running an ERA in the mid 3s to low 4s and hasn’t served as a primary closer since. So that’s your guy then? How many years and how much money would you pay Rondon entering his age 32 season next year?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Betances hasn’t pitched all season due to injury. He was throwing upper 80s in spring training.

Rondon was demoted by the Cubs from the closers role 3 years ago when he was running an ERA in the mid 3s to low 4s and hasn’t served as a primary closer since. So that’s your guy then? How many years and how much money would you pay Rondon entering his age 32 season next year?

Does anyone think that Strasburg opts out? He's having a great year. I think he could get more than 100M at 31. 

24 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Betances is set to face live hitters this week according to Aaron Boone.  I must’ve saw Giles name on a 2020 list.  And I never said Rondon is my guy.  There will be guys available is my point.  Hell, Hahn paid a good chunk of change for Herrera.  Maybe he can be moved to closer.  😂

4 minutes ago, Moan4Yoan said:

Betances is set to face live hitters this week according to Aaron Boone.  I must’ve saw Giles name on a 2020 list.  And I never said Rondon is my guy.  There will be guys available is my point.  Hell, Hahn paid a good chunk of change for Herrera.  Maybe he can be moved to closer.  😂

You said it’s easy to find a good closer in free agency. So this should be easy. Who’s your guy and how many years/$ would you give him?

41 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

You said it’s easy to find a good closer in free agency. So this should be easy. Who’s your guy and how many years/$ would you give him?

I like Betances if he comes back strong from his injury.  No idea what he would cost due to this factor and missing half the season.