The $$$$ will be spent!

OneDog847

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

He's been so bad his fWAR is about the same as Tim Anderson.

That his terrible years still pumped out a .360 obp is why he appealed to me. He definitely has a consistency problem in staying elite with the bat, but he is repping an .800 ops. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soxfan49 said:

Which is quite the steal for $4.2m/season but would you pay that fWAR $26m/season?

If I'm getting that undermarket production from multiple other places on the team (like we expected the white sox to do)? Yes.

Tim is underpaid, allowing us to pay more elsewhere. That was the point.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

That his terrible years still pumped out a .360 obp is why he appealed to me. He definitely has a consistency problem in staying elite with the bat, but he is repping an .800 ops. 

One is a young SS. The other is on a 13 year deal and plays horrid defense. Who's a better value? 

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Philadelphia and SD have had the two biggest attendance bumps this year...amazing how that works.

Pretty sure Sox have had one of the biggest attendance bumps this season dude

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

One is a young SS. The other is on a 13 year deal and plays horrid defense. Who's a better value? 

I wasn't trying to win the Jerry Reinsdorf Value Awards I was hoping the sox were trying to put together a roster that would destroy the AL central.

Just now, bmags said:

I wasn't trying to win the Jerry Reinsdorf Value Awards I was hoping the sox were trying to put together a roster that would destroy the AL central.

If you can successfully fill 2 holes for a fraction of the cost, it's a good thing, whether you're Reinsdorf or Steinbrenner. 

When did this site turn into a fuckin pity party anyway? 

2 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Pretty sure Sox have had one of the biggest attendance bumps this season dude

Since their number was at the bottom or 25-26 or whatever....the percentage growth is much different from the +5000-7500 game those two teams are drawing.

Just so its straight praising  and defending Sox fans for supporting their team again is back en vogue?

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Since their number was at the bottom or 25-26 or whatever....the percentage growth is much different from the +5000-7500 game those two teams are drawing.

Just so its straight praising  and defending Sox fans for supporting their team again is back en vogue?

🙄 

5 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

If you can successfully fill 2 holes for a fraction of the cost, it's a good thing, whether you're Reinsdorf or Steinbrenner. 

That has been their plan for years except they generally pick the wrong guys shopping in the bargain bin. One year, they hit on just about everyone and won a WS. Other than that, it's been mostly an Adam Dunn swing and a miss.  A superstar would have been a nice boost to the franchise. Maybe they will sign one some day. The thing is, you don't get the opportunity to sign guys like Machado and Harper on the open market at their age very often. 

Edited by Dick Allen

Injuries and luck are usually a significant part of the equation. Perhaps a more fair and meaningful way to evaluate the rebuild would be to assess how many holes will still need to be filled, who might fill them and how much financial flexibility the team has to accomplish that.

This year's record is not nearly as important as the fact that they are playing competitive baseball and have important pieces yet to join this roster. I'd rather be hovering a few games below .500, with the assurance that guys like Robert, Madrigal, Vaughn, Kopech and Cease will be part of the near future, than be 10 games over .500, with nothing left on the Farm, who might reasonably be expected to make a significant difference and all of the available money spent, on long term, burdensome contracts. 

For my part, I'm satisfied with the progress. For those who are not, I'm sorry. I guess it's the old dilemma of "the glass being half empty, or half full". 

5 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

That has been their plan for years except they generally pick the wrong guys shopping in the bargain bin. One year, they hit on just about everyone and won a WS. Other than that, it's been mostly an Adam Dunn swing and a miss.  A superstar would have been a nice boost to the franchise. Maybe they will sign one some day. The thing is, you don't get the opportunity to sign guys like Machado and Harper on the open market at their age very often. 

Rebuilding has never been there plan. Trading for guys like Shields was how they used to operate. Now they're doing it right. Machado was a guy they don't need and Harper was a bad deal. Let's see what shakes out this off-season now that they're competitive

7 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

🙄

Philly is up over 8000 per game and thats through June average vs. entire 2018.

White Sox 300 behind 2018 full year pace but half the summer remaining.

Padres should end up around 2500-3000 plus per game but were already near 27000 with a terrible team last year.

1 minute ago, TaylorStSox said:

Rebuilding has never been there plan. Trading for guys like Shields was how they used to operate. Now they're doing it right. Machado was a guy they don't need and Harper was a bad deal. Let's see what shakes out this off-season now that they're competitive

When they have had money to spend, top guys have never been realistic because as KW liked to say, you can't spend $1 if you only have $.50. They just didn't want to spend money on the top guys. Spreading it around and hoping everything went right was the plan. 

10 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

I don't understand why in order to make your position seem more favorable you are trying to act like Machado and/or Harper would be coming at the cost of Anderson or Moncada, when they very much go together. Its because the sox had Anderson and Moncada and kopech and giolito and eloy and robert that using money to acquire additional talent made sense.

But you cannot grasp that, so you try to make fun of a caricatured representation of why people wanted Harper/Machado. And if that's not enough you need to provide over the top critiques of how bad Machado and Harper are when they've actually been fine!

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

Padres should end up around 2500-3000 plus per game but were already near 27000 with a terrible team last year.

Weather hasn't helped, but there is no question signing one of these guys would have been a boost at the box office.  

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

The fact that the Sox even have a solid attendance right now given what happened in the offseason is incredible, but you do you Caulfield.   Everyone has noticed the attendance this season, especially last season.

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Weather hasn't helped, but there is no question signing one of these guys would have been a boost at the box office.  

I never said it wouldn't, I just pointed out that the Sox attendance has been doing well also

10 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

When they have had money to spend, top guys have never been realistic because as KW liked to say, you can't spend $1 if you only have $.50. They just didn't want to spend money on the top guys. Spreading it around and hoping everything went right was the plan. 

The Sox payroll has been competitive. Attracting free agents has always been a different story. The Sox are not an attractive destination and we probably never will be. Everything about the White Sox is mediocre and that's not going to change as long as there's a team playing in a much better neighborhood in the same city. 

I think the Sox should try Rodon in the bullpen when he gets back. He can't stay healthy as a starter. 

I'm on board with those who think the Sox should go after a top starter(Cole/Bumgarner/Strasburg) and a back end starter( I really like the Alex Wood suggestions) 

I'm actually ok with going after Strasburg near the TDL and hoping that he opts in, and if he doesn't give him an extra year at 20M to entice him to do so. He shouldn't cost all that much in prospect capital. I don't even think it would take one of the Sox top 100 guys to get it done. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

22 minutes ago, TaylorStSox said:

The Sox payroll has been competitive. Attracting free agents has always been a different story. The Sox are not an attractive destination and we probably never will be. Everything about the White Sox is mediocre and that's not going to change as long as there's a team playing in a much better neighborhood in the same city. 

Their payroll has been competitive but in terms of top guys their contract offers have not been. It does not matter whether or not the south side is an attractive destination if they are insistent that top level players must give them a 20% discount.