I think the Sox can get Quintana back

vilehoopster

10 hours ago, raBBit said:

A) No one cares what the fanbase thinks

B) Theo should be fired if they dont extend the option. If they're done with Quintana, the move is to trade him, not let him walk for free. 

Quintana has about the same value at the moment as Ivan Nova did this past offseason. The Pirates might as well have released Nova with what the Sox gave in return. It would probably be easier for them to just let him go than to get another team to agree to take his salary. He's paid market value at his current level of performance. His contract was an asset when he was pitching like a #2. It is a liability when he's pitching like a #5. 

It is similar to the Sox with Abreu this past offseason. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I would say that the odds of them sending Q back here for peanuts (at least relative to what they gave up) are practically non-existent. I cannot possibly think of a time that a front office just publicly admitted being fleeced so badly that they gave the guy back over to his original team. 

4 hours ago, Richie said:

I would say that the odds of them sending Q back here for peanuts (at least relative to what they gave up) are practically non-existent. I cannot possibly think of a time that a front office just publicly admitted being fleeced so badly that they gave the guy back over to his original team. 

This. The only way Quintana comes back here is if they decline his option. End of story

4 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

This. The only way Quintana comes back here is if they decline his option. End of story

Yes, but ...

If Colome helps them win another World Series, why not trade with the Sox. If Cubs can get 2 WS titles out of this run with Theo that's an all-time successful run in Chicago sports history to go with Jordan's Bulls which is No. 1 and the Blackhawks winning 3 of 6 or 3 of 5.

On 6/28/2019 at 2:09 PM, Balta1701 said:

They know they could trade him, that's why he wouldn't be let go as a free agent. It wouldn't be a lot that we'd have to give up based on his current performance, but it wouldn't be 0. 

Yea, probably a couple Alex Call’s is all it would take. Quintana has been pretty ordinary since the trade and entering his age 31 season, with one year, $10.5M left on his contract should be really cheap via trade in a few months.

There’s no way he is traded to the Sox.  That’s double jeopardy for Epstein.

Two, comparing the values of Nova and Q is a pointless exercise.  Pitt needed to cut payroll, and did so moving Harrison, McCutcheon, Cole, etc.

Cubs desperately need to solidify their rotation, especially if Hamels or Lester go down.  Hendricks is already on the DL.

7 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Yea, probably a couple Alex Call’s is all it would take. Quintana has been pretty ordinary since the trade and entering his age 31 season, with one year, $10.5M left on his contract should be really cheap via trade in a few months.

Quintana at $10.5M is definitely going to command more than an organizational player. The guy is at worst a rock solid back of the rotation pitcher getting paid appropriately. The Cubs are not going to give him away. 

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Quintana at $10.5M is definitely going to command more than an organizational player. The guy is at worst a rock solid back of the rotation pitcher getting paid appropriately. The Cubs are not going to give him away. 

That’s why I said two Alex Call’s. Q is trending in the wrong direction and isn’t nearly the same pitcher he was in a Sox uniform. Nova’s performance in the NL between 2016-2018, the three seasons prior to the Sox trade, actually make for a good comp to Q’s results over the past two years and remaining contract status after this season.

Just now, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

That’s why I said two Alex Call’s. Q is trending in the wrong direction and isn’t nearly the same pitcher he was in a Sox uniform. Nova’s performance in the NL between 2016-2018, the three seasons prior to the Sox trade, actually make for a good comp to Q’s results over the past two years and remaining contract status after this season.

If you told the Cubs and Epstein today they could pick two or even three of Walker/Rutherford/Adolfo/Basabe/Gonzalez for Quintana...I sincerely doubt they make that move.   And 100% not for 2/4 when you remove Walker from the mix.  

They simply have to exploit their current window through 2021, and everything else is secondary, even if they end up like the SF Giants.

5 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

He just had a good outing.  He could very well end the season with a sub-4 ERA.  The Q trade was still great for the Sox and bad for the Cubs but Q is not Nova and the Cubs will be picking up his option.

Edited by Moan4Yoan

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

If you told the Cubs and Epstein today they could pick two or even three of Walker/Rutherford/Adolfo/Basabe/Gonzalez for Quintana...I sincerely doubt they make that move.   And 100% not for 2/4 when you remove Walker from the mix.  

They simply have to exploit their current window through 2021, and everything else is secondary, even if they end up like the SF Giants.

I’m not talking about right now, I’m talking this offseason. Cubs can’t afford to trade any starting pitcher right now with their starters dropping like flies of late. They need live bodies for the rotation. However, I’m sure they would consider trading him this winter if they plan to pursue a free agent arm or two. Also, there’s no way I’d give up any of the guys you mentioned above for 1 year of Q. Rather wait another 12 months when he’s available for only $$$.

1 hour ago, Moan4Yoan said:

He just had a good outing.  He could very well end the season with a sub-4 ERA.  The Q trade was still great for the Sox and bad for the Cubs but Q is not Nova and the Cubs will be picking up his option.

Meh. He’s got an ERA of 4 in a Cubs uniform over 62 starts. That’s against NL teams largely with pitchers hitting 3 times a game. He’s likely a 4.25-4.50 ERA guy in the AL next season. I wouldn’t give up more than a couple Alex Call’s for one season of that at a cost of $10.5M. Is he better than Nova? Sure but that doesn’t mean I’m giving up much of anything in terms of prospect value for him.

28 minutes ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

I’m not talking about right now, I’m talking this offseason. Cubs can’t afford to trade any starting pitcher right now with their starters dropping like flies of late. They need live bodies for the rotation. However, I’m sure they would consider trading him this winter if they plan to pursue a free agent arm or two. Also, there’s no way I’d give up any of the guys you mentioned above for 1 year of Q. Rather wait another 12 months when he’s available for only $$$.

Yes, I agree with this guy. I wasn't talking about now; I was talking about at the end of the year, in the off-season. when I think we can get him back. 

2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Yes, I agree with this guy. I wasn't talking about now; I was talking about at the end of the year, in the off-season. when I think we can get him back. 

Also worth noting that even if they do pick up Quintana's option, which they should barring injury...moving money off their payroll for a small return could become more important this offseason if they are making a run for Cole. It may all have been smokescreens, but how many times did we hear about the Cubs making efforts to clear payroll last offseason to go after Harper?

On 6/28/2019 at 12:15 PM, OneDog847 said:

Cubs are going to go hard after Cole to replace Lester as the TOR workhorse. 

Forget Q. The Sox should go after Hamels on a two year deal.  

I love Q

Always will.

But we have to move on.

Hamels should be the target

And with all these millions upon millions of dollars the Sox have waiting to be spent, they should have no problem signing A-list different-makers.

I'd love of have Quintana back but I don't think it will happen. What would be the estimation of what we would have to give up to get him? This team is looking to compete next year and even if Quintana is now a 4+ ERA pitcher rather than a 3+ ERA pitcher it would still help immensely considering our rotation is currently a bunch of 6+ ERA pitchers and Giolito.

13 minutes ago, JuliusO1274 said:

I'd love of have Quintana back but I don't think it will happen. What would be the estimation of what we would have to give up to get him? This team is looking to compete next year and even if Quintana is now a 4+ ERA pitcher rather than a 3+ ERA pitcher it would still help immensely considering our rotation is currently a bunch of 6+ ERA pitchers and Giolito.

Q belongs on the Chicago White Sox. He's beloved and Coop would fix him IMO. Cmon, keep dangling Colome and a prospect and we get Q. Or maybe straight up Collins for Q and a decent prospect? If McCann is the real deal we don't need Collins.

On second thought Colome for Q even up. It's dangerous trading everyday players for pitchers. Collins might become a budding all star.

Edited by greg775
  • Haha 1