2020 College Football thread

21 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

No, but even if she did, it would be no different than staying home. You really think every football player would be on the straight and narrow? All it takes is one. 

No, but I think the teams would have strict rules and if caught big-time consequences like suspensions and early a.m. running, etc. I think teams know how serious it is because of the coaches/ADs. Students will just do what they normally do.

28 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Thanks for the potshot at me. Sad world. All civility is gone. Just hate.

I would have thought that staying home in the spring and helping the country beat  this was perhaps the most important civil thing people could do. 

Just now, Balta1701 said:

I would have thought that staying home in the spring and helping the country beat  this was perhaps the most important civil thing people could do. 

I've obeyed everything. Yes I deeply, badly, sorely wanted a haircut entering the third month. My mental health doesn't matter of course, just the other zillion people in the country, especially the protestors. Wanting that haircut makes me worse than the devil. I get it. I'll stop now.  You can get in the last word now if u wish. Thanks for your concern/admonitions against me.

13 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I've obeyed everything. Yes I deeply, badly, sorely wanted a haircut entering the third month. My mental health doesn't matter of course, just the other zillion people in the country, especially the protestors. Wanting that haircut makes me worse than the devil. I get it. I'll stop now.  You can get in the last word now if u wish. Thanks for your concern/admonitions against me.

You know we have a giant thread right, and I can go back and find out if there was one group of protesters you were deeply offended by and another group you couldn't have cared less about, who just happen to differ in one important visual detail?

28 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Again, the idea that you are equating a haircut to your mental health is about as direct of a kick in the testicles as you can give when there are people with actual mental health problems in this country.  They don't need you exploiting mental health issues just to draw some sympathy and taking away from those who are actually suffering.  Speaking of uncivil, the idea that someone would act like this is horrifying to me.

38 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Greg busting out the SAT vocabulary today...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Greg busting out the SAT vocabulary today...

I've now blocked four people, but not caulfield. ... So Nebraska still wants to play football and is exploring all options. They don't agree with the Big10 commish's decision. Should be interesting. I'd think the SEC would add them to the pile and let the Huskers play a year. Moral of the story: Don't mess with Nebraskans and their college football. Say what you want, but NU football is probably THE most important thing in the entire state to the people. Surpassing everything else. How dare the league decide to nix football when 3 other leagues are (still) at this time giving it a shot?

14 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I've now blocked four people, but not caulfield. ... So Nebraska still wants to play football and is exploring all options. They don't agree with the Big10 commish's decision. Should be interesting. I'd think the SEC would add them to the pile and let the Huskers play a year. Moral of the story: Don't mess with Nebraskans and their college football. Say what you want, but NU football is probably THE most important thing in the entire state to the people. Surpassing everything else. How dare the league decide to nix football when 3 other leagues are (still) at this time giving it a shot?

Id say extremely unlikely Nebraska plays football this year.

Logistics are almost impossible and Im not sure Big10 would go for it.

The only real issue is NFL draft and i think Big/pac can swing something where the NFL delays it until after the potential spring season.

I

38 minutes ago, Soxbadger said:

Id say extremely unlikely Nebraska plays football this year.

Logistics are almost impossible and Im not sure Big10 would go for it.

The only real issue is NFL draft and i think Big/pac can swing something where the NFL delays it until after the potential spring season.

I

No one that is a potential high draft pick is playing in the Spring. Even if the draft is pushed back - you are still talking about a player playing spring football with all the hitting and pain that comes with it and than jumping straight from that basically to training camp (i exaggerate a bit - but their bodies are going to get minimal time to adjust).  Unless of course all the leagues believe they are going to stagger the following seasons start a bit (to kind of grade into normalcy). 

I mean - hard to imagine that NBA is going on now and in basically 3 months we will have preseason NBA again. Not sure if it will be bubble 2.0 or what.  

For anyone who is interested, here's the Pac-10's medical document updated as of yesterday.

https://xs.pac-12.com/2020-08/Pac-12 Covid-19 Return to Play Considerations 08.10.2020.pdf

Here's the summary of the cancellation:

This document represents our current assessment of the most effective measures to ensure safe return to full contact activity and competition. While there are numerous medical issues that we are carefully evaluating and considering, the following are concerning medical issues at this time: 1. Community prevalence remains very high in much of the Pac-12 footprint and traveling to many places is likely unsafe, particularly on commercial aircraft. 2. We are concerned about health outcomes related to the virus. Among these, there is new and evolving information regarding potential serious cardiac side effects in elite athletes. We do not have enough information to understand the short and long-term outcomes regarding these health issues. 3. Testing capacity needs to increase to allow for more frequent testing, performed closer to game time, and with more rapid turn-around time to prevent spread of infection and enhance the safety of all student-athletes, coaches, and staff involved, particularly in situations where physical distancing and mask wearing cannot be maintained. This will require access to significant capacity of point-of-care testing and rapid turn-around time, which is currently very limited.

There are more than 5000 players on the teams of just the power 5 conferences. If you wanted to test every one of them on one day, that would be ~1% of the entire united states's testing capacity, which is apparently declining right now. The NFL players wanted to be tested every day, that's literally impossible for college football.

2 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

No one that is a potential high draft pick is playing in the Spring. Even if the draft is pushed back - you are still talking about a player playing spring football with all the hitting and pain that comes with it and than jumping straight from that basically to training camp (i exaggerate a bit - but their bodies are going to get minimal time to adjust).  Unless of course all the leagues believe they are going to stagger the following seasons start a bit (to kind of grade into normalcy). 

I mean - hard to imagine that NBA is going on now and in basically 3 months we will have preseason NBA again. Not sure if it will be bubble 2.0 or what.  

Exactly. College football in the spring would have NO potential draft picks. You'd be insane to play with the draft in April for gosh sakes and college football starting Jan. 1 or Feb. 1. ... Here is the likely scenario as today put out by the Pac. The Pac said today no sports until "possibly" Jan. 1. OK, Jan. 1 comes, it's very likely there will be a winter spike of COVID/Flu. I betcha by then there's NO CHANCE of in person college second semester and absolutely no sports. College basketball has no chance IMO unless it starts early, not late. Like say first game Oct. 1, not Nov. 10. My guess is the Pac decision ensures no sports at all in college this year. Again, it's going to be better from now til Jan. 1 not after Jan. 1. Just my take.

As far as Nebraska ... don't discount NU just doing what it wants to do. Big Ten isn't going to kick it out for playing football on its own one year. Could NU be an independent and play some teams in the ACC, SEC and Big 12?

8 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Its going to be very different, but these guys do play spring football anyway, and I am sure hitting in practices will be at a minimum for the spring and next fall. I agree a lot of high picks won't be playing, but that's a small price to pay vs. death or long term heart issues.  Everyone should have worn a mask 5 months ago and stayed away from people for a couple of weeks. These are some of the consequences. 

This is a time for transparency. Specifics. Consider this: If myocarditis is tied to COVID-19 and offers a frightening prospect for athletes, why are the NBA, MLB (and soon) and NFL playing?

It’s a question worth asking. But on Tuesday, that would have been a fruitless exercise, too.

It’s not fair to compare Warren to the legendary Delany, who ruled with an old-school fist. But the former Big Ten boss also elicited a certain trust. He would do it right.

The Big Ten now resembles 14 presidents ruling the roost with Delany retired in his North Carolina cabin. And a commissioner who looks like their front man.

Not a good one, either.

If you’re Nebraska, it doesn’t conjure a lot of trust in the Big Ten. In fact, with Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan coaches also defying the Big Ten, the league looks less and less unified all the time.

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/football/shatel-is-this-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-nebraska-in-the-big-ten/article_ef5bd995-3b11-5967-8e32-6d6cff4a1cab.html#tracking-source=home-trending

All the speculation has Nebraska going back to the Big 12.   Interesting.   As an Oklahoma fan, losing that series has been tought to take.   As an Iowa fan, its been a good series for the Hawkeyes, but still consider Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa State and even Minnesota bigger rivalry games.

56 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

This is a time for transparency. Specifics. Consider this: If myocarditis is tied to COVID-19 and offers a frightening prospect for athletes, why are the NBA, MLB (and soon) and NFL playing?

Because those players are being paid at least hundreds of thousands of dollars, potentially ten million dollars for baseball and substantially more for Patrick Mahomes, to take that risk. 

16 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

It’s a question worth asking. But on Tuesday, that would have been a fruitless exercise, too.

It’s not fair to compare Warren to the legendary Delany, who ruled with an old-school fist. But the former Big Ten boss also elicited a certain trust. He would do it right.

The Big Ten now resembles 14 presidents ruling the roost with Delany retired in his North Carolina cabin. And a commissioner who looks like their front man.

Not a good one, either.

If you’re Nebraska, it doesn’t conjure a lot of trust in the Big Ten. In fact, with Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan coaches also defying the Big Ten, the league looks less and less unified all the time.

https://omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/football/shatel-is-this-the-beginning-of-the-end-of-nebraska-in-the-big-ten/article_ef5bd995-3b11-5967-8e32-6d6cff4a1cab.html#tracking-source=home-trending

All the speculation has Nebraska going back to the Big 12.   Interesting.   As an Oklahoma fan, losing that series has been tought to take.   As an Iowa fan, its been a good series for the Hawkeyes, but still consider Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa State and even Minnesota bigger rivalry games.

Huskers made a statement today they are staying put. Understandably they were outraged since 3 conferences are playing and NU football stands idle til the spring. So much is unknown, but the embattled Big 10 commissioner took the right side of this issue in the long run IMO. Right now he is an enemy in Nebraska, but wait until the 3 conferences that are playing in the fall have major problems/outbreaks. It's not guaranteed there will be problems, but a very safe bet that the Big 12, SEC and ACC will have serious outbreaks before Game One (in the Big 12 a month after kids return to campus) and there will be all sorts of problems forcing cancellation of season in those 3 leagues. 

We'll hear that the whole Texas Tech offensive line is out or all the Texas QBs are exposed/out, etc.

I will say this. As of Wednesday, the Big 12 ADs were on Cloud Nine, pumped up talking about fans at the opener, etc. This unabashed optimism of the 3 leagues can turn to angst/depression in just one or two days. Meanwhile, the Big Ten can put it all off until the spring, when again, odds suggest heavily there will be no sports because of winter virus season.

My point? Nebraska's feelings and pocketbooks took a hard shot this week, but Huskers now are going to adjust mentally and get ready for a season in the spring. The Big 10 commish will look like a hero when the other leagues that are playing have SEVERE issues.

Life sucks right now.

Edited by greg775
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

North Carolina is in the ACC right? So the ACC is still planning to have football and their first school to have students on campus had to close within a week. No students on campus for classes but football games? This...doesn't quite work.

It can work - but only if you acknowledge that these guys are athletes first and students second.  On-line classes, their own residences, strict no interaction with campus at large - basically, they would need to be bubbled off from the rest of the university.  But that obliterates every bad-faith argument in favor of the NCAA's amateurism model.

3 hours ago, illinilaw08 said:

It can work - but only if you acknowledge that these guys are athletes first and students second.  On-line classes, their own residences, strict no interaction with campus at large - basically, they would need to be bubbled off from the rest of the university.  But that obliterates every bad-faith argument in favor of the NCAA's amateurism model.

ding ding ding

5 hours ago, illinilaw08 said:

At North Carolina, what fraction of the players are going to go on to careers in the NFL? 5%? 10%?

11 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

At North Carolina, what fraction of the players are going to go on to careers in the NFL? 5%? 10%?

At North Carolina, what percentage of revenue sport athletes are steered toward majors that require less of their attention on the academic side so they can spend more of their time on football or basketball?

I'm not making a point that most of these athletes go on to play professionally - every NCAA tournament, we get commercials about how most athletes are going pro in something other than their sport.  I'm making a point that the universities are profiting off their labor while not even allowing the kids to profit off their own likeness by pushing the argument that they are students first and athletes second.  Conferences could create college football bubbles, but the very first step is pulling all the athletes out of the general college population and that undermines the amateurism argument that these kids are students first and athletes second.

58 minutes ago, illinilaw08 said:

At North Carolina, what percentage of revenue sport athletes are steered toward majors that require less of their attention on the academic side so they can spend more of their time on football or basketball?

I'm not making a point that most of these athletes go on to play professionally - every NCAA tournament, we get commercials about how most athletes are going pro in something other than their sport.  I'm making a point that the universities are profiting off their labor while not even allowing the kids to profit off their own likeness by pushing the argument that they are students first and athletes second.  Conferences could create college football bubbles, but the very first step is pulling all the athletes out of the general college population and that undermines the amateurism argument that these kids are students first and athletes second.

Well said.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Soooo...I guess I'll offer an opportunity to talk about actual college football games.

I don't usually bet sports (or anything else), but I'm bored in Germany alone this evening and wanted to care about a game while my Fighting Illini and the Big Ten aren't playing.  Dropped $130 at -2.5 on Baylor.  Good or bad play?  (The money is on a book that's had it for a while...I certainly don't need it, but I do like winning!)

• 3 weeks later...