2020 Election Thoughts

hogan873

36 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

But this right wing domestic terrorist problem won’t suddenly disappear.  Even if you think democracy will survive this recent attack and be in better hands under Biden, this terror threat will still exist and so will those whom fanned its flames (Trump, certain GOP officials, right wing media).  A lack of action will only enable these crazies to do it again but with a potentially more dangerous / deadly outcome.

No it won't it won't disappear. Not in a hundred years or a thousand years. It also didn't start four years ago. It's been around forever. It was a problem when those same kind of folks were lynching people of color it's a CRISIS and could DESTROY our country when they attack the congress and senators.  I believe there will be action which is part of surviving this.

Some folks here see Trump and Cruz leading the Bugaboo Boys followed by the military down Pennsylvania Avenue to retake the White House in a couple months. I don't see it happening. Biden, our oldest elected President, health permitting, will be president for four years and, if all indicators are accurate, will not run for reelection. There will be a peaceful transfer of power and life will go on with all those same threats in place plus some new ones. Cruz will likely run for President with the promise to make America Great Again. He'll be fighting with the idiot from Missouri to split the hate vote but this time hate won't get out of the primary. We saw the enemy and it was us. We'll learn from this. I have faith in my fellow Americans.  I believe I have history on my side. We have weathered every threat for over 200 years. We'll weather it not by ignoring it, that's a stupid path, but by dealing with it head on. When something as horrific as what happened in our nation's capital occurs we don't cower in fear and run, we stand and fight. We're Americans. 

During the next decade maybe some current threats won't be as bad, some may get worse. Although I can't see the Alt Right getting much worse without their cult leader in office, but perhaps. We'll deal with that threat as well. I trust our FBI to handle it just fine. I trust our military leaders to protect us from all threats, foreign and domestic.  America will get better. But, if you really think we're doomed, I'd suggest getting out now or at least moving to an area where you can buy yourself some protection if you believe the military will be on the side of fascists and wanna be dictators. 

Greg has been predicting this for months, it's too bad he hasn't been around to see how many people who called him crazy then are now agreeing with him. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Hitlers 1st try at overthrowing the German government wasn't 1933, it was 1923.

Castros 1st attempt at overthrowing Cuba wasn't 1958, it was 1952.

In pretty much any other country on earth when you lead a coup, there would have already been executions. The idea that somehow everything is ok because the people who died weren't the right politicians is absurd.  History tells us that someone who is willing to lead a violent uprising once, is perfectly willing to do it again and again. They are perfectly willing to sabotage the people and the government to win power. 

The absolute minimum that should be happening right now are massive and very public investigations by this government with the intent of jailing anyone found to have participated in any form in this coup attempt. The President should be charged and tried for his crimes against the American government to render him politically neutered at a minimum,  jailed at best. This was treason, and not some protest gone wrong. This was an attempt to over throw a dully elected government of the United States of America. 

Great post!

27 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

In pretty much any other country on earth when you lead a coup, there would have already been executions. The idea that somehow everything is ok because the people who died weren't the right politicians is absurd.  History tells us that someone who is willing to lead a violent uprising once, is perfectly willing to do it again and again. They are perfectly willing to sabotage the people and the government to win power. 

The absolute minimum that should be happening right now are massive and very public investigations by this government with the intent of jailing anyone found to have participated in any form in this coup attempt. The President should be charged and tried for his crimes against the American government to render him politically neutered at a minimum,  jailed at best. This was treason, and not some protest gone wrong. This was an attempt to over throw a dully elected government of the United States of America. 

Luckily, Trump is at an age and health status and anger/paranoia level where hanging around another decade like Hitler managed after the Beer Hall Putsch seems highly unlikely...but there’s no shortage of candidates like Pompeo, Hawley, Cruz (who is ten times smarter than Trump) and Don Jr., etc. to take up that mantle.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

I agree. But it seems most people here don't believe there will be anyone jailed or any investigations. That would lead to us surviving this which apparently isn't going to happen. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Texsox said:

No it won't it won't disappear. Not in a hundred years or a thousand years. It also didn't start four years ago. It's been around forever. It was a problem when those same kind of folks were lynching people of color it's a CRISIS and could DESTROY our country when they attack the congress and senators.  I believe there will be action which is part of surviving this.

Some folks here see Trump and Cruz leading the Bugaboo Boys followed by the military down Pennsylvania Avenue to retake the White House in a couple months. I don't see it happening. Biden, our oldest elected President, health permitting, will be president for four years and, if all indicators are accurate, will not run for reelection. There will be a peaceful transfer of power and life will go on with all those same threats in place plus some new ones. Cruz will likely run for President with the promise to make America Great Again. He'll be fighting with the idiot from Missouri to split the hate vote but this time hate won't get out of the primary. We saw the enemy and it was us. We'll learn from this. I have faith in my fellow Americans.  I believe I have history on my side. We have weathered every threat for over 200 years. We'll weather it not by ignoring it, that's a stupid path, but by dealing with it head on. When something as horrific as what happened in our nation's capital occurs we don't cower in fear and run, we stand and fight. We're Americans. 

During the next decade maybe some current threats won't be as bad, some may get worse. Although I can't see the Alt Right getting much worse without their cult leader in office, but perhaps. We'll deal with that threat as well. I trust our FBI to handle it just fine. I trust our military leaders to protect us from all threats, foreign and domestic.  America will get better. But, if you really think we're doomed, I'd suggest getting out now or at least moving to an area where you can buy yourself some protection if you believe the military will be on the side of fascists and wanna be dictators. 

Greg has been predicting this for months, it's too bad he hasn't been around to see how many people who called him crazy then are now agreeing with him. 

Except Greg was 90-95% in fear of left wing protesters....5-10% convinced American carnage would end in another Civil War/massive conflagration.

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Except Greg was 90-95% in fear of left wing protesters....5-10% convinced American carnage would end in another Civil War/massive conflagration.

He was also in fear of the right. He is basically in fear of both extremes. Which honestly I believe there are reasons to fear extremists no matter what their views. 

Just now, Harry Chappas said:

What is scary is how mild GOP people are turning a blind eye to this. I am a middle road guy and held my nose for Trump and cannot believe people defend this.  

Where have you seen anyone defend him that wasn't far right? I live in the state that inflicted Ted Cruz on the country and folks here are saying good riddance to Trump. 

2 hours ago, Texsox said:

And we survived. Are you suggesting that next time they might be successful in subverting election results? How do you see a violent mob like that being successful?

Oh you want one? They get the box full of pages stating who won each state and destroy it. 

The law doesn’t have any provisions for what to do in that case, it doesn’t say explicitly they can be reprinted. So when Cruz and Harley object, they actually have something of a solid legal objection.

If that box had been destroyed, then right now whether the Congress could approve Biden as President-Elect would be in the courts.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Oh you want one? They get the box full of pages stating who won each state and destroy it. 

The law doesn’t have any provisions for what to do in that case, it doesn’t say explicitly they can be reprinted. So when Cruz and Harley object, they actually have something of a solid legal objection.

If that box had been destroyed, then right now whether the Congress could approve Biden as President-Elect would be in the courts.

And Trump lost every court case he filed.  Do you really believe if those papers were destroyed we wouldn't look back to each state and their records to decide? Do you really see the courts saying, well I guess Trump is president for life? Our government isn't that fragile. 

If that could happen you must then agree with Cruz that we need a full investigation of our election systems to restore faith in our process. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Texsox said:

I am not willing to just assume everything is going to be ok for some vague, non-specific rationale.  When someone repeatedly tells you who they are, and then goes out and take actions to back up those words, that is what I trust. The President of the United States of America should never be free again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Texsox said:

And Trump lost every court case he filed.  Do you really believe if those papers were destroyed we wouldn't look back to each state and their records to decide? Do you really see the courts saying, well I guess Trump is president for life? Our government isn't that fragile. 

If that could happen you must then agree with Cruz that we need a full investigation of our election systems to restore faith in our process. 

Every government is as fragile as the people defending it.

1 minute ago, southsider2k5 said:

I am not willing to just assume everything is going to be ok for some vague, non-specific rationale.  When someone repeatedly tells you who they are, and then goes out and take actions to back up those words, that is what I trust. The President of the United States of America should never be free again.

I agree 100%.

I wasn't vague. I believe anyone who entered the capital should receive long jail sentences. That Trump should be impeached and that Cruz and company should be censored at the minimum. 

6 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Where have you seen anyone defend him that wasn't far right? I live in the state that inflicted Ted Cruz on the country and folks here are saying good riddance to Trump. 

I see one guy repeatedly trying to draw an equivalency between civil rights and anti war protesters and violent fascists attempting to overthrow the government, as if it's all just some sort of political disagreement we can reason out.

• Like 1

Just now, southsider2k5 said:

Every government is as fragile as the people defending it.

And I do not believe our military or the American people are fragile unlike people here who believe we're close to failure. 

7 minutes ago, Texsox said:

No, while court cases worked up to the Supreme Court, we would be onto the procedure outlined in the amendments if no President has been legally approved, it would go to the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate.

Whose lives were in jeopardy there.

If those two were killed, or taken prisoner, the cabinet expires on January 20 I believe. That would leave 0 people in the line of succession.

(Edit: if you see a font change it wasn’t deliberate).

1 minute ago, StrangeSox said:

I see one guy repeatedly trying to draw an equivalency between civil rights and anti war protesters and violent fascists attempting to overthrow the government, as if it's all just some sort of political disagreement we can reason out.

^^^^^

I cannot believe the number of people that think that basic human rights are a political opinion. It's staggering. 

Just now, StrangeSox said:

Again.

I believe we will survive this. Folks will be in jail who participated. An impeachment will begin, and possibly finish, and hopefully Cruz and company will be censored. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

Again.

I believe we will survive this. Folks will be in jail who participated. An impeachment will begin, and possibly finish, and hopefully Cruz and company will be censored. 

Cruz and company being censured isn't enough. They need to be expelled from congress. 

1 minute ago, Balta1701 said:

No, while court cases worked up to the Supreme Court, we would be onto the procedure outlined in the amendments if no President has been legally approved, it would go to the Speaker of the House and the President of the Senate.

Whose lives were in jeopardy there.

If those two were killed, or taken prisoner, the cabinet expires on January 20 I believe. That would leave 0 people in the line of succession.

So you believe that the person elected could have the election taken from him in this manner? So you don't have trust in our system. I do. So you might want to write Cruz and let him know you agree that Americans don't trust our system. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Cruz and company being censured isn't enough. They need to be expelled from congress. 

I agree, but I don't see it happening. Hopefully the voters in their states respond when they run. Cruz was on the ropes two years ago. This isn't helping him with the more moderate areas of the state. 

I agree, but I don't see it happening. Hopefully the voters in their states respond when they run. 

The voters in their states agree with them, that's the huge issue. They're actually representing their constituency. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

So you believe that the person elected could have the election taken from him in this manner? So you don't have trust in our system. I do. So you might want to write Cruz and let him know you agree that Americans don't trust our system. 

Democracies can fall to coups and you're extremely naive if you think the United States are somehow immune to that.

10 minutes ago, Texsox said:

Im talking in my personal world.  People that are now showing true colors of how summer protests were deplorable but capitol issue is an attempt to silence Trump. If you opossed summer protests you HAVE to understand Capitol storming is much worse and sadly that appears to not be the case.  The summer protests had a rationale the capitol incident was sour grapes and that scares the hell out of me. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

I believe that US law has no ability to handle a situation like that, and you cannot write and pass a new law to establish what to do if the electoral college information has been destroyed without the Presidents signature.

This is why there is a “Designated Survivor”. Because there are scenarios where the US government has made no law to cover them, and if one of them happens, there is no legal way to clean things up. If the entire line of Presidential succession is gone, this country has no legal way to fix it.