The Blake Snell Thread

maloney.adam

1 minute ago, Flash said:

Have to imagine Rays would create an auction among the many teams who covet Snell. I can see them targeting someone like Bummer as a second piece to Kopech. Or maybe something like Cease, Bummer and Dunning (Fl. kid).  

So if the Sox don't get any pitchers Cease and Dunning would be in the starting rotation and if we get no closer then Bummer is our closer so in theory we give up 2 starting pitcher both with years of control and a top notch setup guy who just signed an extension for 3 years of a starter who has a small track record and doesn't pitch deep in games. No thank you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why are we trading assets for a RF?  Sign a free agent to address our OF needs and trade for a high end pitcher where the free agent market is actually weak.

Depending on if Conforto signs an extension I'd be fine with another stopgap in RF and go after Conforto hard next winter. 

BTW, there is no way in hell I'm trading both Kopech and Crochet to the Rays. None. 

The reason I'd trade Kopech at all is because he's missed 2 straight seasons and is 25 already, and won't be ready for a full season until 2022, which may or may not happen at all. 

Edited by Jack Parkman
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Ahh yes it's the off season , rich with talk of extensions for who we trade for and taking on salary of an overpriced veteran to get who you really want.

November: let the Mets sign springer and we’ll trade for Nimmo!

January: Yes! We signed JBJ! Look at this lineup:

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Did you forget, everyone knows the budget of every other team as well!  Conforto will sign an extension with the Mets, if I had to guess.

No one has a clue what even the Sox payroll is going to be, maybe not even JR. We still have months to go and it all depends on how fast  Covid vaccinations become available to the general public.

1) We aren't signing Bauer

2) We aren't going to trade for Snell, we aren't that loaded with prospects or money to make something like that smart.

3) We aren't going to ever acquire or sign Conforto. Mets will keep him with their billions of dollars now. 

4) We are likely going to get 2 B or C level starting pitchers this offseason. Or more likely, trade for Lynn.

5) For the OF, Springer seems like a possibility, but more in the 15% chance range than over 50%. Lots of teams seem in on him, Mets with billions of dollars, Blue Jays need a prime CF.

Honestly, this offseason fucking blows for the W'Sox. 

Our time was with signing Harper. 

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, fathom said:

I’m sure they see a lot of Glasnow in Kopech

100% agree.  To be honest, I bet they see better prospect than Glasnow in Kopech who may have the highest ceiling in baseball.  Not saying he will reach it, but the upside with Michael is almost unlimited with the changeup he was flashing pre TJS.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Orlando said:

No way they sign both Bauer and Springer. In my opinion the only way they sign Springer is if they get a stud pitcher on a friendly contract like Snell.

If you can afford 3 or 4 of your top prospects...you can afford any FA imo.

1 minute ago, maloney.adam said:

So you think they will stay pat this offseason?

I think most teams are going to wait it out and put off major decisions hoping for good vaccination news . Maybe agents too take that approach but until then many will be fishing in the vast school of cheap talent available after Dec. 2nd .

37 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I'm not trading both Kopech and Vaughn. They get one. 

I'm fine trading either, but not both. Vaughn and Cease=ok. Kopech and Madrigal=ok Vaughn and Kopech=not ok. 

Not trading Crochet. He's 21, left handed and reminds me too much of a young Chris Sale. 

Jack - I’d be good with you as our GM with these viewpoints.  I’m not sure how I’d feel about such a trade, just saying that the Rays would almost certainty take a package built around Kopech & Vaughn.  At bare minimum, that would be their opening ask.  From there, it really comes down to how eager they are to move Snell’s salary.

16 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

So if the Sox don't get any pitchers Cease and Dunning would be in the starting rotation and if we get no closer then Bummer is our closer so in theory we give up 2 starting pitcher both with years of control and a top notch setup guy who just signed an extension for 3 years of a starter who has a small track record and doesn't pitch deep in games. No thank you.

Not gonna get rich trading with the Rays.

34 minutes ago, Orlando said:

That package would never be enough. Why would they take that? The have a player locked in at second. Cease doesn’t have much value at this point and Dunning isn’t a main piece. Kopech, Vaughn or Crochet would 100% be in it.

Cease still has plenty of value IMO, but he’s not the headliner Vaughn or Kopech would be.

1 minute ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I think most teams are going to wait it out and put off major decisions hoping for good vaccination news . Maybe agents too take that approach but until then many will be fishing in the vast school of cheap talent available after Dec. 2nd .

Yep and any smart agent would wait for Mets to figure out their front office structure. Only deals agreed to now would have to be too good to turn down (Smyly)

29 minutes ago, fathom said:

I still feel they’ve convinced themselves it must be a lefty bat in RF.  Hope I’m wrong.

I don’t buy this, I think they’re fine with anyone who has proven to be a high-end hitter against RHP.  Why does it matter if a guy like Springer is left-handed if he’s elite against all pitching?

Just now, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t buy this, I think they’re fine with anyone who has proven to be a high-end hitter against RHP.  Why does it matter if a guy like Springer is left-handed if he’s elite against all pitching?

Agreed but Stone a few times has said they need a lefty run producer.

29 minutes ago, bmags said:

I feel like people are kinda retconning the Archer return. At the time they were two washed up prospects. Then we realized how crappy the pirates had become at player dev. It was somewhat similar to the goldschmidt trade.

You’re right, but washed up is a bit harsh.  Both guys’ value were down no doubt and the Rays bought low.  I do think Vaughn & Kopech is a more attractive package than Meadow & Glasnow, which is why a third piece should be less costly than Baz.