NFL 2021 offseason thread

4 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

That's of course, if they feel the need to draft a QB. 

I'd rather they not. 

Mond in the 2nd is more palatable for me than Jones in the first or trading the future for a guy who is likely to be a bust. 

Say no to a 1st round QB. 

Everyone's talking about Quarterbacks so I responded to that. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

14 minutes ago, ptatc said:

I would agree. My philosophy is the old school of build inside out. A good QB can only do so much when he is on the ground.

This is what a team rebuilding would do, the smart thing.  That's not what we are gonna get because jobs are on the line.  They may not be on the line immediately, but pretty soon.  So the chaos route is the way we seem to be going

5 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I hate Mac Jones as much or more than I hated Trubisky which means that he will be a Bear hahaha. 

I disagree with this one. If in the right system (49ers), he will be successful.

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

This is what a team rebuilding would do, the smart thing.  That's not what we are gonna get because jobs are on the line.  They may not be on the line immediately, but pretty soon.  So the chaos route is the way we seem to be going

Then they're going to lose their jobs either way. 

Probably. My guess is they go WR to give Nagy another toy to play with.

1 minute ago, ptatc said:

I disagree with this one. If in the right system (49ers), he will be successful.

I look at him and I see Matt Barkley. We've already seen that guy in a Bear uniform and it wasn't good. 

Outside of Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance I wouldn't take any remaining QB in the 1st 3 rounds. 

They always do, all of them

You are correct, but I meant soon. I give them through the end of 2022 and then they're whacked. I think that Nagy/Pace have more job security than most but I think the next two seasons are going to be so bad that they'll have no choice but to fire those clowns. 

Hell, this season might be bad enough to get them fired, but I don't think that McCaskey will fire them after one bad season. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

Just now, Jack Parkman said:

Then they're going to lose their jobs either way. 

That is the point - why not take one now - even if it means they give up a pick next year.  They get it right - amazing, not having a 1st round pick next year will be more than offset by having a young rookie scale QB compounded by the fact that the CAP will grow again (Bears cap problems vanish next year anyway - in fact they will literally flip their cap position - if they hit on QB).

If they miss - next year is a rebuilding year anyway - it sucks not having that pick - but end of the day - the QB class doesn't look great and we'll have a new GM anyway - who at that point is going to do a complete roster turnover anyway - so whatever.  I tell you one thing - punting another year and than next year it will be - this class isn't so good - we should wait again - welp, that will continue and the Bears will have blown multiple opportunities to take a chance (cause that is what draft a QB is - a total game of chance).

And you know what - there are many things about Nagy I don't like - but maybe he made Mitch as good as Mitch was ever going to be. It isn't like he failed with Mahomes - not saying he had anything to do with Mahomes either, but I know Nagy was a big believer in Mahomes and he obviously wasn't in the warroom when they drafted Mitch (but I genuinely think he liked Mitch).  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chisoxfn said:

That is the point - why not take one now - even if it means they give up a pick next year.  They get it right - amazing, not having a 1st round pick next year will be more than offset by having a young rookie scale QB compounded by the fact that the CAP will grow again (Bears cap problems vanish next year anyway - in fact they will literally flip their cap position - if they hit on QB).

If they miss - next year is a rebuilding year anyway - it sucks not having that pick - but end of the day - the QB class doesn't look great and we'll have a new GM anyway - who at that point is going to do a complete roster turnover anyway - so whatever.  I tell you one thing - punting another year and than next year it will be - this class isn't so good - we should wait again - welp, that will continue and the Bears will have blown multiple opportunities to take a chance (cause that is what draft a QB is - a total game of chance).

And you know what - there are many things about Nagy I don't like - but maybe he made Mitch as good as Mitch was ever going to be. It isn't like he failed with Mahomes - not saying he had anything to do with Mahomes either, but I know Nagy was a big believer in Mahomes and he obviously wasn't in the warroom when they drafted Mitch (but I genuinely think he liked Mitch).  

Hub Arkush was on the Score and said that the cap might go down again next year as they get the actual numbers from 2020 in. TIFWIW. 

The Bears are just way too cap fucked to get better anytime soon. 

Edited by Jack Parkman

I'll take the aggressive contrarian and point out an option many of the "it will be too hard for bears to trade up" people seem to miss. There have been notes of vikes/chargers possibly looking to trade down, I think many teams would prefer it since this was such a difficult year for scouting. But pace and nagy clearly want to go after a guy, I think national media are underselling their aggressiveness, and the board is lining up their way in a way it didn't look like a month ago, where it felt like falcons would take a QB at 4 and bengals could trade out to the broncos.

Rich Hill value chart:

Bears trade #20 and #83 to Vikings for #14 (one spot ahead of NE)

Bears trade #14 and 2022 first round pick +2022 third round pick to Carolina Panthers for pick #8.

Bears select Fields/Lance.

Trade 1: bears give up 321 points, minnesota gives up 325

Trade 2: Bears recreate Philly/Dolphins trade

Bears can then trade back in 2nd or select a mayfield/radunz

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Hub Arkush was on the Score and said that the cap might go down again next year as they get the actual numbers from 2020 in. TIFWIW. 

I will bet $10 this is wrong. Players will throw a fit after the TV deals. There is no way this happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I'll take the aggressive contrarian and point out an option many of the "it will be too hard for bears to trade up" people seem to miss. There have been notes of vikes/chargers possibly looking to trade down, I think many teams would prefer it since this was such a difficult year for scouting. But pace and nagy clearly want to go after a guy, I think national media are underselling their aggressiveness, and the board is lining up their way in a way it didn't look like a month ago, where it felt like falcons would take a QB at 4 and bengals could trade out to the broncos.

Rich Hill value chart:

Bears trade #14 and 2022 first round pick +2022 third round pick to Carolina Panthers for pick #8.

The Bears didn't have a 1st for 2 years, they can't afford from a roster standpoint to trade any more 1st round picks, unless they want to get really bad really quickly. 

4 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The thing is, everyone feels that same pinch.  A lot of players are gonna be dumped from a lot of teams and will be taking smaller deals.

the point is, Pace and Nagy are not really concerned about any of that stuff.  It's all about the now

1 minute ago, bmags said:

I will bet $10 this is wrong. Players will throw a fit after the TV deals. There is no way this happens.

They can b**** and whine all they want but if it happens, there's not much they can do about it. They already agreed to a CBA so there are no negotiations to be had. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

They can b**** and whine all they want but if it happens, there's not much they can do about it. They already agreed to a CBA so there are no negotiations to be had. 

so take the bet.

3 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

The Bears didn't have a 1st for 2 years, they can't afford from a roster standpoint to trade any more 1st round picks, unless they want to get really bad really quickly. 

I don't find the "the bears are terrible now so should rebuild because if they don't they'll be terrible, but they already are terrible, so they 

Who cares, that is literally the same thing to me. You already believe they are terrible. If they rebuild next year, they can trade roquan, jackson, get comp picks for robinson, leno. They can trade this QB they acquire for a 2nd. They can do whatever they want.

3 minutes ago, bmags said:

I don't find the "the bears are terrible now so should rebuild because if they don't they'll be terrible, but they already are terrible, so they 

Who cares, that is literally the same thing to me. You already believe they are terrible. If they rebuild next year, they can trade roquan, jackson, get comp picks for robinson, leno. They can trade this QB they acquire for a 2nd. They can do whatever they want.

They're so bad that they'd completely waste the QB's rookie contract regardless of whether or not the guy is good. 

38 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

I look at him and I see Matt Barkley. We've already seen that guy in a Bear uniform and it wasn't good. 

Outside of Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, and Lance I wouldn't take any remaining QB in the 1st 3 rounds. 

Could be. Could also be Tom Brady. Most likely somewhere in between. With the way he throws and the decisiveness, I'm going with successful.

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

Rich Hill value chart:

Realistic scenario if they choose to go that route.

2 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

That's of course, if they feel the need to draft a QB. 

I'd rather they not. 

Mond in the 2nd is more palatable for me than Jones in the first or trading the future for a guy who is likely to be a bust. 

Say no to a 1st round QB. 

Everyone's talking about Quarterbacks so I responded to that. 

Since 2000, no more than 7 QBs have been drafted in the first three rounds.  If we can’t find a way to trade up for Fields/Lance, then we should trade down in the 1st and accumulate more draft capital.  One of Mond/Mills/Trask should be there in the 4th and if not I’d simply take a stab on Jamie Newman.  Should be tons of good OT & WR talent into the 3rd and we should be addressing those spots along with CB before taking a lottery ticket QB prospect.

7 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Since 2000, no more than 7 QBs have been drafted in the first three rounds.  If we can’t find a way to trade up for Fields/Lance, then we should trade down in the 1st and accumulate more draft capital.  One of Mond/Mills/Trask should be there in the 4th and if not I’d simply take a stab on Jamie Newman.  Should be tons of good OT & WR talent into the 3rd and we should be addressing those spots along with CB before taking a lottery ticket QB prospect.

I agree with you - to me we either draft one in the 1st or we accumulate some assets and just pick one of the guys later in the draft - some will fall.  Don't use a 2nd on a QB. Probability of a non 1st round QB's leading you to the promise land is not good, especially since the draft payroll structure was adjusted where picks get slotted in (much different when a 1st round QB was getting 3 times more money than the respective LB and thus it was more than just blowing it on the pick - you had to live with the fact that you paid Akili Smith like an in their prime Aaron Rodgers.  

Yes - there is Russel Wilson - but that is it. That said - in the first round - the best QB's haven't always been the top guy in recent years - going back to science isn't so hot on this.  I really just think it is throwing a dart - but they just need to do it.   

• Like 1