Yoelkis Cespedes

Does anyone know where our new Cuban RF top prospect Yoelkis Cespedes is playing? Everything you read about this guy is amazing and a future 5 tool star. Some scouts thought he was good enough to maybe by on this team by the end of the year. I read initially they thought he would start at Double A Birmingham. I went to check the rosters and stats at all four minor league Sox affiliates A, high A, double A and triple A and he is not listed on any of the rosters. I am excited to watch this progress of this potential Sox player and hopefully be a big contributor and finally solve our right field problem next year. 

13 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Would be nice to get him in games.  Annoying this visa issue is still lingering.  

Well maybe his other Cuban buddies better help him like Robert, Abreu and Moncada who all made the same trip. lol It sure doesn't help when Birmingham has already played 6 games and their season isn't that long. 

1 hour ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

Well maybe his other Cuban buddies better help him like Robert, Abreu and Moncada who all made the same trip. lol It sure doesn't help when Birmingham has already played 6 games and their season isn't that long. 

Have you ever checked out the FutureSox Board ?

48 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Have you ever checked out the FutureSox Board ?

No, but numerous articles all said he would be starting the season in the minors at double A Birmingham and I was concerned 6 games in when I didn't see him on the roster and not on any other Sox minor league team. However i will check there.

12 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

No, but numerous articles all said he would be starting the season in the minors at double A Birmingham and I was concerned 6 games in when I didn't see him on the roster and not on any other Sox minor league team. However i will check there.

He's referring to this:

http://www.soxtalk.com/forums/index.php?/forum/18-futuresox-board/

9 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Yes but also to let a semi new poster know it's available so he can access all our minor league affiliates daily since some newcomers may not stray from Pale Hose Talk or use everything Soxtalk.com has to offer.

10 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

Ok thanks! It just puzzling to me why its still a problem. I would think the Sox have enough money and clout to get though the red tape. Plus I never heard of this happening to the other recent Cuban players coming here. I thought he was here already and already defected from Cuba.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

Ok thanks! It just puzzling to me why its still a problem. I would think the Sox have enough money and clout to get though the red tape. Plus I never heard of this happening to the other recent Cuban players coming here. I thought he was here already and already defected from Cuba.  

Visa problems are not unusual even during good times, let alone during the pandemic.  We had a decent amount of players also get caught up in this with spring training as well.

3 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Visa problems are not unusual even during good times, let alone during the pandemic.  We had a decent amount of players also get caught up in this with spring training as well.

Ok fair enough. Let's just hope he gets to AA soon and we get him on his path to the big leagues whether its 2021 or 2022. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

Ok fair enough. Let's just hope he gets to AA soon and we get him on his path to the big leagues whether its 2021 or 2022. 

I would be rather surprised to see him play in the majors in 2021. 2022 is more realistic but still optimistic. 

26 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So my question on this (and I know visa issues are probably very complicated), how was Cespedes able to play in the spring training B games but now can't play in Birmingham? Based on the earlier points, I just assumed it had something to do with having a visa to be paid a minor league salary not being sorted out so he could still play in ST for free but preventing him from joining the Barons as a paid player (taxes, etc).

But now I'm going back to how were others not able to play in ST but he was*, but still can't play other games?

(*I swear I remember seeing photos of him playing stateside in the spring unless I'm suffering from a major Mandela effect.)

10 minutes ago, manbearpuig said:

You figure that out when you cross that bridge. He may not even be ready in 2022 for all we know.

it's just a thought exercise, nothing wrong with discussing it 

my guess is they would limit his ABs assuming he was called up next year, doubt he'd be pushing any starters out of the lineup

57 minutes ago, Chris Sale said:

I would be rather surprised to see him play in the majors in 2021. 2022 is more realistic but still optimistic. 

If he has a good minor league season by Sept, the Sox can go from 25 to 40 players, so I would think he would have a shot to see some time this year. However I do agree with you more realistically is 2022. Keep in mind though this is not your typical prospect of of high school or college. He has been playing professional baseball for Cuba for a several years and was the # international rated prospect. 

32 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

where is this kid gonna play assuming Mercedes, Vaughn, Eloy, and Robert are all starters?

If he is good enough by 2022 to be up here, isn't that a great problem to have. We would for sure have great assets to trade to another team for a need we are weak at. 

53 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

So my question on this (and I know visa issues are probably very complicated), how was Cespedes able to play in the spring training B games but now can't play in Birmingham? Based on the earlier points, I just assumed it had something to do with having a visa to be paid a minor league salary not being sorted out so he could still play in ST for free but preventing him from joining the Barons as a paid player (taxes, etc).

But now I'm going back to how were others not able to play in ST but he was*, but still can't play other games?

(*I swear I remember seeing photos of him playing stateside in the spring unless I'm suffering from a major Mandela effect.)

My guess?  I don't think minor leaguers get paid for spring training so he wasn't "working".

15 hours ago, "The Kids Can Play" said:

Still 142 games...will play well into September, usually finish in late August.