The MLB lockout is lifted!

southsider2k5

So the lockout the billionaires started has gone nowhere because they have yet to bargain in good faith.  But they are the ones going to grumble in frustration to the press at the lack of progress.  GTFO with that nonsense.  This shit is on you and on no one else.

• Like 1

It's a small win but at least so far it seems like the players haven't had to give anything up that they already have. Basically this is all about how much of what the owners currently have can be switched to the players. If the players were being asked to give something up that they already have I doubt this could ever be settled. 

1 minute ago, Kyyle23 said:

We both understand that both sides make ridiculous offers and counter offers, but the owners have been refusing to counter.  They aren't even negotiating, just saying no.  I hope the mediation remedies this also, but it just feels like a stalling tactic to draw this out more and that really sucks. 

If you offered to sell someone a car for $15,000 and a guy offered you $2000...would you counter?  I would say come back when you want to get serious.  I think the owners should get a lot of credit for attempting to speed it up.  Typical of unions...the players asked for a boatload of stuff they knew would be rejected.  I was actually surprised when the owners didn't have a laundry list of silly stuff themselves.  Mediation will speed it up for sure but if the players overplay their hand talks will come to a screeching halt and the season then gets to be in jeopardy.  It was surprising to me that the owners didn't slow play this and let their superior financial position and unity wear down the players.  After all, probably 80% or more of the players are going to gain nothing out of this work stoppage.

1 minute ago, poppysox said:

If you offered to sell someone a car for $15,000 and a guy offered you $2000...would you counter?  I would say come back when you want to get serious.  I think the owners should get a lot of credit for attempting to speed it up.  Typical of unions...the players asked for a boatload of stuff they knew would be rejected.  I was actually surprised when the owners didn't have a laundry list of silly stuff themselves.  Mediation will speed it up for sure but if the players overplay their hand talks will come to a screeching halt and the season then gets to be in jeopardy.  It was surprising to me that the owners didn't slow play this and let their superior financial position and unity wear down the players.  After all, probably 80% or more of the players are going to gain nothing out of this work stoppage.

More accurate would be a company with record profits and raising prices, cutting salaries because of inflation and offering the car salesman a smaller than usual commission on the sale because of inflation.  

18 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

The owners are human scum. Not all of them, but collectively they are. They are a cynical, greedy and overly prideful group used to getting their way even if they have to run someone over to get there.

All of the players are nice people without a greedy bone in their bodies.

• Like 1

The owners are about ready to go on the offensive, I think they have the players right where they want them.  They've really not told the public their side of the story... the players have been out there campaigning, and while they have the support of fans (as clearly demonstrated on this very board) I'm not certain it will continue to be that overwhelming once the owners state their case and we start losing actual spring games. 

The owners are about to *claim* that they are asking for changes to make the game more popular and to an extent fair, and that the players ONLY care about increasing their piece of the pie.  Which to an extent is *partially* true.  

We are definitely at peak "Screw rich owners" in this country as a whole, which should be very good for the players so we will see what transpires. 

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

More accurate would be a company with record profits and raising prices, cutting salaries because of inflation and offering the car salesman a smaller than usual commission on the sale because of inflation.  

Who said anything about cutting salaries?  What does commission sales have to do with anything?  If you want to see rising prices...keep overpaying the help.

2 minutes ago, poppysox said:

Who said anything about cutting salaries?  What does commission sales have to do with anything?  If you want to see rising prices...keep overpaying the help.

That is literally what has happened in the last few years.  Players shares of revenues are shrinking. That is what you are defending here.

The owners. Their proposal would end The existence of Super-2 status for arbitration eligible players, which would take ten or so $10-20 million-ish contracts and turn them into minimum salary deals each year.

17 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

No, it's more like the car company having record profits and the salesperson says we want a 10% raise and the company counters with a .02% raise. No one is asking the players to give back anything they earned in the last CBA.

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

The owners. Their proposal would end The existence of Super-2 status for arbitration eligible players, which would take ten or so $10-20 million-ish contracts and turn them into minimum salary deals each year.

I believe Super-2 status and this 10-105 million pool are all tied together in some ways that have been left unclear in the reporting so far.  It should be clear to you that it is the owners who are working feverishly to get the season started and the union is dragging its collective feet.

20 minutes ago, poppysox said:

All of the players are nice people without a greedy bone in their bodies.

They just want to give the fans a better product. Those guys on teams like the Dodgers and Tampa Bay realize them winning 100+ games  isn't a good product for the fans and want their teams to win less and Baltimore to win more. 

1 minute ago, Texsox said:

No, it's more like the car company having record profits and the salesperson says we want a 10% raise and the company counters with a .02% raise. No one is asking the players to give back anything they earned in the last CBA.

Thank you Texsox.  The analogy used by 2K5 was so off the money it left me speechless.

I believe Super-2 status and this 10-105 million pool are all tied together in some ways that have been left unclear in the reporting so far.  It should be clear to you that it is the owners who are working feverishly to get the season started and the union is dragging its collective feet.

LOL!

6 minutes ago, poppysox said:

LMFAO.

That was a good joke that made me laugh for sure.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Fire 2

13 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

LMFAO.

That was a good joke that made me laugh for sure.

Yeah, that's was a good chuckle.  It's pretty obvious to fans who don't have blind fealty to ownership that the owners aren't in fact working furiously to come to a resolution.  Quite the opposite in fact.

• Like 1