2022-23 NFL Season thread

bmags

I feel like bears fan dialogue always settles into front office homers and antagonists, and I worry I'm just becoming a homer.

It's not like I think what they've chosen was the only path and any player I liked they didn't sign is excused, but I just think this is what it looks like when you are being disciplined and following your own evals. I'm sure a lot of these names that I actually know have scouting reports indicating they are falling off a cliff. 

I guess this is about what I expected this year, but that was also contingent on liking the tackles. But I guess it's worse off if it's true they don't like Jenkins, Borom. We'll see though. Not a sign of success or failure yet, but this is more in line of what I expected a more disciplined front office to look like.

4 hours ago, bmags said:

I feel like bears fan dialogue always settles into front office homers and antagonists, and I worry I'm just becoming a homer.

It's not like I think what they've chosen was the only path and any player I liked they didn't sign is excused, but I just think this is what it looks like when you are being disciplined and following your own evals. I'm sure a lot of these names that I actually know have scouting reports indicating they are falling off a cliff. 

I guess this is about what I expected this year, but that was also contingent on liking the tackles. But I guess it's worse off if it's true they don't like Jenkins, Borom. We'll see though. Not a sign of success or failure yet, but this is more in line of what I expected a more disciplined front office to look like.

Has there been any quotes from Poles on Jenkins? A quick Google search only showed me that Poles would conceivably like the type of player Jenkins is. I still have high high hopes for Jenkins, though probably strictly as a RT. Dude played over 1100 snaps in college and gave up 2 sacks. He's got the nasty Poles is looking for. He's got the QBs back like what Poles is looking for. I'd be a little surprised if he's not given every opportunity to be the starting RT. 

I'd still very much like to not go into the season with Borum being handed the job and as seen by the Bates attempted move, I don't think we will. 

Poles had spoke on waiting for the "Second wave of free agency" and I wonder if that just means we're gonna wait on roster cuts else where, or if we start to see these older guys (Trettor and Brown/Fisher plz) signed as the second wave. 

I'm hoping it is indeed the veteran players that he now looks to zone in on. There are still a handful of older corners that can still help as well that are absolutely starting quality.  

Derozan and Bulls played good in 4th quarter (not good enough though)...but Derozan has to stop being a black hole late. Lavine was the better player most of the game, made a nice stop on one end and literally knew (as did rest of the Bulls) that Derozan was jacking something up no matter what. That offense DOESN't work.  

I've got the itch..... post a mock and 5 free agent signings to finish this team out. 

I begrudgingly did a PFF mock and got....

- Jalen Pitre CB

-George Pickens WR

- Jalen Tolbert WR

- Zach Tom OL

- Cordele Flatt  CB

- Luke Wittenberg OC

Signings 

- JC Trettor OC

- Duane Brown LT

-Kenny King CB

- Solomon Thomas DT

- DeShaun Elliot S

51 minutes ago, scs787 said:

I've got the itch..... post a mock and 5 free agent signings to finish this team out. 

I begrudgingly did a PFF mock and got....

- Jalen Pitre CB

-George Pickens WR

- Jalen Tolbert WR

- Zach Tom OL

- Cordele Flatt  CB

- Luke Wittenberg OC

Signings 

- JC Trettor OC

- Duane Brown LT

-Kenny King CB

- Solomon Thomas DT

- DeShaun Elliot S

lol signing solomon thomas would be kinda funny

Just now, scs787 said:

Right?! Ironically you could make the argument Mitch has been the better player.  Thomas still may have some upside as a 3 tech. 

I hope they sign Trotter but I'm pessimistic it happens after lucas patrick being pretty loud that his position here will be center. Shouldn't be a reason you don't do it, but if they liked him better at center it may have them go after guards.

Your draft is basically what mine circles around as well. Zach Tom's writeup in the PFF one says he's the most athletic IOL prospect, which makes him attractive. 

So I'll just do my top (6) FAs:

Fisher - should be cheap, and if he truly is just a case of slow recovery, get him on a 1 year deal and hope he leaves and receive comp pick.

Jarvis Landry - because he was released, not in comp pick formula

G Oday Aboushi - capable guard but also okay to upgrade over

S- Kareem Jackson - should play pretty decent in a cover 2 vs Fangios Cover 1

Edge - Arden Key - situational pass rusher

CB - Jason Verrett - Injured a lot, but a legit outside corner that should come cheap and allow thomas graham to try out slot corner.

One thing I've noticed on bears new receivers, they all have pretty good run blocking scores from PFF.

One tossup in my head, I know pringle played a lot of slot, but I think it would be interesting to put someone like Cole Beasley in the slot for a year (he was released so no comp pick), since he is a bonafide strong slot receiver. 

Another connection to watch if we go after/avoid is our Oline coach would have been with trai turner last year.

1 hour ago, bmags said:

One thing I've noticed on bears new receivers, they all have pretty good run blocking scores from PFF.

One tossup in my head, I know pringle played a lot of slot, but I think it would be interesting to put someone like Cole Beasley in the slot for a year (he was released so no comp pick), since he is a bonafide strong slot receiver. 

Another connection to watch if we go after/avoid is our Oline coach would have been with trai turner last year.

As much as I like Beasley, I think they should spend the money elsewhere and take advantage of the draft class while also adding a guy like Keelan Cole or Tajae Sharpe. 

That said I'm all aboard the Pringle hype train, and also love that Fields and Mooney are working out together all off-season. Add a guy in the 2nd round to develop as the #3 with hopes he turns into a 1/2 type guy. Add another later on in the draft and give Dazz a look too..... Mooney/Pringle/2R/Cole/Dazz/later round pick. 

3 minutes ago, scs787 said:

As much as I like Beasley, I think they should spend the money elsewhere and take advantage of the draft class while also adding a guy like Keelan Cole or Tajae Sharpe. 

That said I'm all aboard the Pringle hype train, and also love that Fields and Mooney are working out together all off-season. Add a guy in the 2nd round to develop as the #3 with hopes he turns into a 1/2 type guy. Add another later on in the draft and give Dazz a look too..... Mooney/Pringle/2R/Cole/Dazz/later round pick. 

The reason I mention it is I'd like to go after guys in the draft who don't have slot profiles, and instead go after the Alex Pierce's and David bell type people

2 minutes ago, bmags said:

The reason I mention it is I'd like to go after guys in the draft who don't have slot profiles, and instead go after the Alex Pierce's and David bell type people

Oh I definitely agree with that being what I want in the draft, but I think Pringle will primarily be the slot guy and will play there very, very well.

35 minutes ago, bmags said:

Beasley might be annoying - but his skill set is one that should help someone like Fields.  So I would be a fan of the move. They need draft picks but they also need quality wideouts too.  Jarvis Landry intrigues me if he eventually is willing to sign a more fair deal. My guess is you could get him on a 1yr deal that has minimal long term cap implications but helps Fields in the shorter term.  

5 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

Is he any good? 

He looks like he's got some potential. Outside of 4 starts he played mainly in the dime package as a 3rd safety. From a film study I just watched, he did a really good job covering tight ends(video mainly focused on him shutting down Kelce) and running backs. 

4.4 speed and not afraid to mix it up. Probably gonna compete for a starting job. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/nfl/colts/.amp/news/film-room-three-safety-sets

Looks like Eberflus used to run 3 safety sets quite a bit back in 2019. Dane looks like a guy who can thrive as that 3rd guy at the very least if he's not the 2nd guy next to Eddie. 

I like the idea of having a guy like Dane out there who can man up vs tight ends and allow Eddie and the linebackers to play more free. 

8 hours ago, scs787 said:

He looks like he's got some potential. Outside of 4 starts he played mainly in the dime package as a 3rd safety. From a film study I just watched, he did a really good job covering tight ends(video mainly focused on him shutting down Kelce) and running backs. 

4.4 speed and not afraid to mix it up. Probably gonna compete for a starting job. 

It was posted somewhere that he will run nickel 80% of the time. Could be a safety/CB mix for the nickle.

28 minutes ago, ptatc said:

It was posted somewhere that he will run nickel 80% of the time. Could be a safety/CB mix for the nickle.

I'm OK with this. 

From what I've seen, I'm good with Dane being out there 80% of the time. I think I'd be ok with him out there 100% of the time as well.

Also lessens the need for a higher end linebacker. Eberflus seems to really like the new guy they signed whose name escapes me right now. 

• Kyyle23 changed the title to 2022 NFL Season thread
  • knightni changed the title to 2022-23 NFL Season thread
  • bmags locked this topic