When (or if) the lockout ends, Carlos Rodon should top the Sox list of signings

VAfan

8 hours ago, Quin said:

That and also he shared  a story where he was intimating he wish he was showing Ethan Katz what he had worked on over the offseason but of course can't because of hte lockout.  I think a lot of people agree they need pitching.  I think Rodon, especially with the lockout will get a one year deal.  And I don't think he'll be that costly.  And thinking about the fact that this might be a 120 game season at best anyways, this would be a perfect opportunity for him.

On 3/6/2022 at 7:38 PM, Two-Gun Pete said:

I'll agree that Rodon has performed the best out of the SPs on offer.

I'll also agree that acquiring a SP for just money is exactly what they should do. Trading for one would be stupid to do, due to the lack of assets, and that they probably can't get a much better SP in trade than can be gotten in FA.

I'll disagree that Rodon would automatically want to stay here. A player does NOT hire Boras if he's interested in staying with the White Sox, both due to this org's need for "hometown discounts," AND Boras' need to squeeze every penny out of every contract he can sign.

I'll also agree that, given Rodon's long and enduring injury history, there are reasons for pause. Whether or not he's healthy matters more than all else, insofar as him being re-signed here.

The Sox have the best information of anyone on his health.   

I think a player hires Boras to get the best deal.  Boras was Rodon's agent last year and he re-signed with the Sox.  If the Sox are willing to at least match another's teams offer for Rodon, I think he'll stay.

On 3/7/2022 at 11:41 AM, Balta1701 said:

I don't think it makes sense for the White Sox with their financial situation, but someone like the Yankees or Twins should absolutely go grab him. These are teams regularly spending money on and trading for piitchers at that level with far lower ceilings than Rodon.

Do you want to see Rodon on the Yankees or Twins?  Or Tigers?  

I didn't even use this in my arguments, but one of the biggest reasons to re-sign Rodon is to keep him away from another AL team.   

5 minutes ago, VAfan said:

The Sox have the best information of anyone on his health.   

I think a player hires Boras to get the best deal.  Boras was Rodon's agent last year and he re-signed with the Sox.  If the Sox are willing to at least match another's teams offer for Rodon, I think he'll stay.

Your very first sentence should be telling.  The Sox know more about him than anyone else, yet refused to make him a QO.  There has also been zero information about the two parties talking this winter. 

Last winter he resigned after spending the entire winter looking for a job, and settling for $3 million from the Sox with a pretty clear path to a shot at a starting job.  This isn't last winter's situation.

1 hour ago, southsider2k5 said:

Your very first sentence should be telling.  The Sox know more about him than anyone else, yet refused to make him a QO.  There has also been zero information about the two parties talking this winter. 

Last winter he resigned after spending the entire winter looking for a job, and settling for $3 million from the Sox with a pretty clear path to a shot at a starting job.  This isn't last winter's situation.

I still think Carlos would like to put White Sox in his rear view mirror.

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Why do you think this?  Didn’t he take less money to play for us over the Cubs?

Not because of anything he said or did.  I just feel that way.  I can't explain it further, just a private vibe, I guess.  When he signs somewhere, we might then know.

1 hour ago, flavum said:

No worries, we got Jhan Marinez back in the fold.

That's almost as exciting as getting Luis Alexander Basabe back in the organization....we are definitely winning that Sale trade now.

• Haha 1