Kershaw perfect through 7, pulled after 80 pitches

Buehrle>Wood

54 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Love the quote but no new age manager would have the balls to try and take the ball from him!  I love Scherzer for his competitive fire.  He acts like a older time pitcher.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BamaDoc said:

Love the quote but no new age manager would have the balls to try and take the ball from him!  I love Scherzer for his competitive fire.  He acts like a older time pitcher.

I can't believe modern players are more fragile, but we tend to wrap them in bubble wrap and put them on a shelf.

I guess the modern pitcher  throwers use max effort for a short duration and are looked at as 100 million dollar investments.  It is interesting the starting pitchers are getting paid more than ever yet pitching fewer innings than ever.  There may be something to draft a lot of pitching, use it heavily , and trade it the year before free agency if no early team friendly extensions like Sale and Q.  Even then trade before deal is up.  Essentially treat them like the way the NFL treats running backs.  It is deplorable but probably best from a business sense if you have a budget.

• Like 1

I have played with roster construction something like what you mention.  Rays are closest.  Think three guys going three innings every three days and then three in bullpen for late situations or extras.  Double headers are killers and exra innings.  Hard to sell to pitchers.  Probably have to rotate first two guys as the "starter" never in long enough for win. Maybe six three inning guys and six in pen for last 3 innings.  Closing still seems mental for some guys.

18 minutes ago, BamaDoc said:

I guess the modern pitcher  throwers use max effort for a short duration and are looked at as 100 million dollar investments.  It is interesting the starting pitchers are getting paid more than ever yet pitching fewer innings than ever.  There may be something to draft a lot of pitching, use it heavily , and trade it the year before free agency if no early team friendly extensions like Sale and Q.  Even then trade before deal is up.  Essentially treat them like the way the NFL treats running backs.  It is deplorable but probably best from a business sense if you have a budget.

Another reason why rosters are too small. Keep them at 28. Terry Francona once had 13 guys in his bullpen in September. 

13 minutes ago, pcq said:

Another reason why rosters are too small. Keep them at 28. Terry Francona once had 13 guys in his bullpen in September. 

If you expand rosters, I think you would see a move to shorter and shorter pitching durations.  That isn't the baseball I prefer or want as it is just like a bullpen battle.  No more classic pitching duels of starter vs starter.  You will have a bunch of no name 1-2 inning pitchers.  The radar gun will rule in drafting even more than now.  Interesting philosophical debate.

20 hours ago, Texsox said:

I can't believe modern players are more fragile, but we tend to wrap them in bubble wrap and put them on a shelf.

They are more fragile because there are more teams and many if these would never had made it due to the injuries on the minors. And the ones that did make it would have their careers ended. We have a much better handle on rehab and surgical procedures now.

Edited by ptatc

24 minutes ago, ptatc said:

They are more fragile because there are more teams and many if these would never had made it due to the injuries on the minors. And the ones that did make it would have their careers ended. We have a much better handle on rehab and surgical procedures now.

So that I understand. Modern players are more talented earlier players were more robust? Meaning we're keeping more talented but now injury prone guys around over less talented but durable?

I dunno if the SPs are "more fragile;" there have only been 6 new teams added over the past half century.

In that time, the US population went up some 100MM or so people, but MLB added what, ~72 or so MLB pitchers?

I think that today's pitcher needs to throw harder because he's facing a fitter opponent at the plate than in the ~70s. You don't have many fat fucks in MLB rosters any more; most MLBers lift weights and keep themselves fit. You also don't have many ~60 wRC+ middle infielders today that can catch, but can't hit for shit any more. You also don't have as many drunks and chain cigarette smokers in MLB as you did back in the day.

Also, teams use technology and video and coaching techniques today that yesteryear's player did not. These empower a hitter in ways that was unimaginable back in Nolan Ryan's day.

All that said, I find it striking that TLR let Rodon go 114 pitches to get a no-no a year ago, but LAD pulled Kershaw after 80 pitches.

It was stupid to pull Kershaw.  He wasn't gonna hurt himself on the 81st pitch.  Just another case of analytics prevailing over baseball sense.  Too bad Kershaw didn't have the balls to tell it like it is.

I was watching PTI yesterday, and they reported on a Japanese pitcher who was pulled after 102 pitches with a perfecto brewing, one game after he pitched a real perfect game.  IOW, two in a row was looming.

10 minutes ago, oldsox said:

It was stupid to pull Kershaw.  He wasn't gonna hurt himself on the 81st pitch.  Just another case of analytics prevailing over baseball sense.  Too bad Kershaw didn't have the balls to tell it like it is.

I was watching PTI yesterday, and they reported on a Japanese pitcher who was pulled after 102 pitches with a perfecto brewing, one game after he pitched a real perfect game.  IOW, two in a row was looming.

Did they have a 4 month lockout followed by a 3.5 week spring training  in Japan too?