Lawsuit Filed Against the Sox

maloney.adam

2 hours ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

Age discrimination in MLB is very very real.  

Age discrimination in most areas of the world is very very real. 

I find it sad that kids think they will become stupid at 50 or 60. 

4 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

The two discrimination classifications this guy falls in - age and sexual orientation - also happen to be the two reasons he was fired. I'm not saying it didn't happen, but if he was told he was fired for being gay, I'm not sure why they're also going after them for age discrimination and vice versa. 

I've always found the argument of age discrimination odd because it's more likely that young people are discriminated against under the guise of "experience" and older people tend to be industry gatekeepers now-a-days. Look at the most powerful positions in the world and in corporations, they almost all trend older.

Maybe the White Sox were on the forefront of race changes in baseball but do have an issue with gay people; it feels really unlikely based on their history, but none of us know what goes on behind closed doors. As for the time lapse, that's not all that odd but what is odd is that they would promote the person who they were going to discriminate against. 

In the world of sports, the one thing I view as a possibility is that some players were uncomfortable with him being gay and found out somehow without knowing previously, and the team termed him because of that. That's really difficult to prove without a paper trail of some sorts, but that would be the one possibility I could see as having changed from 2018 to 2020. 

I would argue your likelihood of surviving in Silicon Valley, coding, CS, e-sports, etc., after age 50-55…pretty much slim and none.

Maybe business and finance, but how many 45+ quants are thriving?  In the executive suite, sure, there’s always going to be a handful.  Politics, sure…tenure and gerrymandering have their perks, along with name recognition building over time.

But look at the trend with GM’s/Asst. Gm’s in MLB the last 20-30 years…must be in 20s, 30s, 40s.  Same with most new NFL coaching hires in the last decade.  There are a always recycled dinosaurs with plenty of experience, but few guys now have the energy to work 14-18 hour days anymore. Coach K is one notable exception in college BB, but even thst finally caught up with him causing numerous health problems.  Urban Meyer is another guy who comes to mind.   Sports is for young people now,  When I was growing up, lots of players made it to 35 and even 40 or beyond like Ryan, Jamie Moyer and Vizquel.   Those exceptions are increasingly rare today.

All that said, the White Sox are one of the most loyal organizations in professional sports and routinely have guys with careers well into their 50’s, with quite a few 60’s and 70’s…at least moreso than the typical team.

Edited by caulfield12

On 5/11/2022 at 11:38 AM, chitownsportsfan said:

This is completely plausible. If there's a paper trail it will be found in emails and texts where they discussed it. If they did fire him because the players were uncomfortable, that's unfortunate but I'm not sure how I'd expect the Sox to operate otherwise. If you keep the guy you risk a player revolt and I think 90% of MLB players would prefer to *not* have a gay trainer. It's just the reality of of the clubhouse.

I'd be shocked if that's the way it played out, but if it did, you operate by telling your players that you can't fire a guy because he's gay.  And I'm not going to pretend that homophobia doesn't exist, but no clubhouse is "revolting" over that in 2022.  

Edited by bighurt574
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, bighurt574 said:

I'd be shocked if that's the way it played out, but if it did, you operate by telling your players that you can't fire a guy because he's gay.  And I'm not going to pretend that homophobia doesn't exist, but no clubhouse is "revolting" over that in 2022.  

Plus he has a couple decades of working with and knowing the players. I doubt any were surprised and if they were surprised it means he never acted inappropriately with a player ( unlike the Hawks). 

Occam's razor has me believing his firing was based on the team injuries so they went in a different direction. But like others here I wouldn't rule out his age and orientation were factored in. The worst outcome to me is the most likely, a settlement that doesn't reveal what happened. 

1 hour ago, Texsox said:

Plus he has a couple decades of working with and knowing the players. I doubt any were surprised and if they were surprised it means he never acted inappropriately with a player ( unlike the Hawks). 

Occam's razor has me believing his firing was based on the team injuries so they went in a different direction. But like others here I wouldn't rule out his age and orientation were factored in. The worst outcome to me is the most likely, a settlement that doesn't reveal what happened. 

Everyone has known for at least a decade. It's not new information. No inappropriate behavior at least that's known.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

They knew he was gay while he had a wife and kids?

Maybe knew is too strong of a word. Let's just say that no one was surprised when he made it official.

On 5/11/2022 at 7:21 AM, Balta1701 said:

I can’t of course, and the people who said “if this happened then Hahn should be gone” can make those statements quite confident that they won’t know that either. And while it may feel awesome too say that I am supportive of good things and oppose bad ones, we live in a world where that clarity is rarely present. We eventually will probably have to deal with that in this case, so it seems fair to me to push on that point.

Our legal standard though is innocent until proven guilty. It is fair enough to jump to conclusions but at same time there is a reason our legal standard is set where it is. We will prioritize a few guilty getting away with things vs risk of an innocent person being punished. Not perfect by any means but I don’t think in your case we should always be our own judge juror and executioner. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Something doesn't add up here.

They knew their trainer, who never acted inappropriately at work, who had a wife and kids was gay?

There is a difference between inappropriate and obvious.

My definition of inappropriate is the Blackhawks scandal or something prosecution worthy.

Edited by ptatc

On 5/10/2022 at 11:36 PM, wegner said:

I'm thinking of suing Benetti/Stone for intentional infliction of emotional distress....I'm willing to settle if they cease and desist with the jingle or at least provide me with a 3 minute trigger window so I can properly mute.

I f***ing hate when they do that stupid ass jingle. I hate the commercials with Tim Anderson and the lawyer too. 

• Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone think there’s a correlation between this suit…the relative silence on it…and the lack of local media articles or follow-up questions this season (especially now with a potentially crippling TA injury) about our MASH unit?

Not one single move to shake up our strength/conditioning or training staffs?

Not even the old lateral promotion by not firing someone and stowing them away in the front office or minor leagues?

Inexplicable array of injuries that put last year to shame.