If Boston are sellers...

bmags

Red Sox have a similar Wild Card chance as the white sox, yet unlike the white sox have zero chance in their division. 

They also have a bunch-o-upcoming free agents, esp. pitching.

Starting Pitchers
Eovaldi, Wacha

Relief Pitchers
Strahm 

Position Players
JD Martinez
(bogaerts)

Eovaldi not having a great year, and Strahm is injured but I believe is just a wrist bruise.

Martinez is RH, but is still above average vs. RHP. And we know the one thing JR will splurge on is a positionless, past his prime slugger who is paid more than their market.

Wacha would be pretty good Kopech slot guy.

They are .500 and hopeless. While we are .500 and ascending.

41 minutes ago, bmags said:

Red Sox have a similar Wild Card chance as the white sox, yet unlike the white sox have zero chance in their division. 

They also have a bunch-o-upcoming free agents, esp. pitching.

Starting Pitchers
Eovaldi, Wacha

Relief Pitchers
Strahm 

Position Players
JD Martinez
(bogaerts)

Eovaldi not having a great year, and Strahm is injured but I believe is just a wrist bruise.

Martinez is RH, but is still above average vs. RHP. And we know the one thing JR will splurge on is a positionless, past his prime slugger who is paid more than their market.

Wacha would be pretty good Kopech slot guy.

They are .500 and hopeless. While we are .500 and ascending.

Also lots of rumors they want to dump Alex Verdugo as he's not in the long term plans at this point.

7 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Really? Their main get for Betts, and they already want to move on from him? He’s a solid player.

Yeah I think he's decent, but he hasn't produced much this year. 

1 hour ago, fathom said:

What type of overlap, if any, did JDM have with Tony in Arizona and Boston?

JDM got traded to the Diamondbacks in 2017 near the trade deadline. La Russa resigned after 2017. So there is an overlap. 

Martinez was an absolute monster for them in 2017 so that might actually be one of the best trades under La Russa's tenure. La Russa got hired by Boston in November of 2017 and Martinez signed with Boston in February of 2018. I'm not sure if there's a correlation, but I'm sure Tony being there didn't hurt.

Either way, Martinez is a hell of a hitter. His decrease in power numbers this year are a bit concerning, but his overall numbers are similar to what they were last year. He's only DH'd this year, so I'm not sure he'd be a good guy to play in RF unless you really needed to. He also played LF a lot in Fenway, which is probably one of the easiest LFs to cover in baseball.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harry Chappas said:

While not on team Sheets, this does nothing to address the weakness.  I rather run Engle out there daily and DH Eloy/Grandal/AV 

He addresses the weakness of hitting the shit out of the ball which no one on the team comes close to him. yes in theory, Grandal should not be hitting 40 wRC+ but for 3 months maybe we let his legs be super resty.

Verdugo is pretty bad this year (no power) but was solid for ~200 games for Boston. Wonder if he's a victim of the ball? He's worth a buy low shot right now but I wouldn't want to give up anything of value for him. Also not sure he can play right field.