Hosmer to Boston WTF?

CentralChamps21

Just now, South Side Hit Men said:

Only have to pay 2022 salary at this point, perhaps only a portion.

He's 112 OPS + this season, much better DH option than Grandal or Sheets.

Menechino would love Hosmer. 

8 minutes ago, bmags said:

i'm confused, I thought San Diego needed to get rid of Hosmer for money reasons.

The Padres were actually going to pay his full salary from 23-25 ($13 mill each) in the Soto deal with the Nats paying remainder of this season.

So Padres would have only saved like $7mill in that deal on the Hosmer contract.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

9 minutes ago, bmags said:

i'm confused, I thought San Diego needed to get rid of Hosmer for money reasons.

Not if you’re blowing right through the second year of tax threshold.

Same for the year they went to almost $20 million in one intl. class and said screw it, might as well go all out.

10 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Only have to pay 2022 salary at this point, perhaps only a portion.

He's 112 OPS + this season, much better DH option than Grandal or Sheets.

Do that split taking out the first six weeks…pretty abysmal.

Not sure that’s worth $7 million over Sheets or Grandal.   Then again, we could always use more 1B/DH types.

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Do that split taking out the first six weeks…pretty abysmal.

Not sure that’s worth $7 million over Sheets or Grandal.   Then again, we could always use more 1B/DH types.

If the deal is free or near free, it's money you can save to pay an actual starting RF, 2B, C, SP in 2023-2025.

If he declines, you can DFA him with minimal cost. Can DFA a Pollock or Grandal, trade Sheets and have an at least somewhat productive player, perhaps for 1-2 years. It all depends on the details, but I would be surprised if Boston has to pay much 2023-2025. If the Sox have to eat several million in 2022, it won't impact future budgets.

5 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

If the deal is free or near free, it's money you can save to pay an actual starting RF, 2B, C, SP in 2023-2025.

If he declines, you can DFA him with minimal cost. Can DFA a Pollock or Grandal, trade Sheets and have an at least somewhat productive player, perhaps for 1-2 years. It all depends on the details, but I would be surprised if Boston has to pay much 2023-2025. If the Sox have to eat several million in 2022, it won't impact future budgets.

Ray Ray might have a total mental breakdown if that happened…

• Haha 1