I'm Tired of My Bitching About this Team

Texsox

18 minutes ago, Texsox said:

@Greg Hibbard after reading your post I really wish I could go back and start this  thread with . . .

. . . I'm tired of dealing with my disappointment by bitching about the team and organization.

It's really about dealing with the most disappointing team in decades. This is suppose to be fun and entertaining. 

I think what’s frustrating most of all though, and an important thing for us all to keep in mind, is that baseball also is and has been largely set up so that the biggest spenders really have been able to buy their way into positions to win a championship.

The Yankees, Red Sox, and Cardinals have won 11 of the last 25 championships. The Dodgers are always in the championship series or World Series now- and have been there many times before. The Giants are traditionally winners. Historically, those 5 organizations have won collectively over half of all the World Series. Over half. The rest of us have fought for scraps. It’s just set up that way.

Which is why I think the mentality of “championship of bust” is toxic to fandom in baseball. We don’t have a salary cap and we don’t have revenue sharing. The rich always seem to get richer in this game. I know the ownership of the Sox does deserve blame for not making good decisions but it seems in mlb there’s no grace. Unlike football where even a buffoonish organization like the bears can back into a super bowl appearance accidentally every 20 years 😉

• Like 3

Rick Hahn has said for YEARS that he expects "multiple championships". LOL. Only a fool would have believed that knowing, for example , that the Cubs went over 100 years without winning once and the Sox have only won once in over 100 years.  Without a salary cap and other equalizing factors in mlb, some teams will be lucky to win once in your lifetime. That isn't the fault of any one owner or franchise. It is the reality of the league as it is now structured and the complicated, unfair rules  that favor certain franchises. Inflated, long term player contracts are just part of the problem.  We got lucky once and the Cubs got lucky once in this century and that may not happen again for a long time. Multiple championships...come on.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Greg Hibbard said:

I think what’s frustrating most of all though, and an important thing for us all to keep in mind, is that baseball also is and has been largely set up so that the biggest spenders really have been able to buy their way into positions to win a championship.

The Yankees, Red Sox, and Cardinals have won 11 of the last 25 championships. The Dodgers are always in the championship series or World Series now- and have been there many times before. The Giants are traditionally winners. Historically, those 5 organizations have won collectively over half of all the World Series. Over half. The rest of us have fought for scraps. It’s just set up that way.

Which is why I think the mentality of “championship of bust” is toxic to fandom in baseball. We don’t have a salary cap and we don’t have revenue sharing. The rich always seem to get richer in this game. I know the ownership of the Sox does deserve blame for not making good decisions but it seems in mlb there’s no grace. Unlike football where even a buffoonish organization like the bears can back into a super bowl appearance accidentally every 20 years 😉

Many of those teams have superior farm systems.  They spend and develop.

7 hours ago, tray said:

Rick Hahn has said for YEARS that he expects "multiple championships". LOL. Only a fool would have believed that knowing, for example , that the Cubs went over 100 years without winning once and the Sox have only won once in over 100 years.  Without a salary cap and other equalizing factors in mlb, some teams will be lucky to win once in your lifetime. That isn't the fault of any one owner or franchise. It is the reality of the league as it is now structured and the complicated, unfair rules  that favor certain franchises. Inflated, long term player contracts are just part of the problem.  We got lucky once and the Cubs got lucky once in this century and that may not happen again for a long time. Multiple championships...come on.

He stated a multi-championship contention Window. If Hahn built a team that was a legitimate top 2-4 team in the league for a 2-4 year stretch, that is all you can ask for. Houston and Los Angeles have been at that level the past 5ish years, and each won one World Series. I don't believe most fans would consider the 2020, 2021 or 2022 White Sox teams legitimate World Series contending teams, but rather a good team that could be expected to compete for the AL Central, but not much else.

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

He stated a multi-championship contention Window. If Hahn built a team that was a legitimate top 2-4 team in the league for a 2-4 year stretch, that is all you can ask for. Houston and Los Angeles have been at that level the past 5ish years, and each won one World Series. I don't believe most fans would consider the 2020, 2021 or 2022 White Sox teams legitimate World Series contending teams, but rather a good team that could be expected to compete for the AL Central, but not much else.

Of course, Dodgers and Red Sox fans will forever believe they were cheated out of additional championships, but this Astros' run as well as the Dodgers ascent in 2013 through today are almost as remarkable as the Braves' 14 year run...at least in the modern game.

Along with 1996-2001 peak Yankees.

It has also been the era of the underdogs, Twins, A's, Indians, Rays, Brewers...falling short but fighting the system valiantly like Don Quixotes.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

And that has basically been true of every AL Central division winner or WC dating back to the 2016-17 Indians...

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It has also been the era of the underdogs, Twins, A's, Indians, Rays, Brewers...falling short but fighting the system valiantly like Don Quixotes.

You are an ingenious gentleman.  It is one thing to write as poet and another to write as a historian. 

36 minutes ago, Texsox said:

You are an ingenious gentleman.  It is one thing to write as poet and another to write as a historian. 

Funny you should mention that.  My father probably qualified as a Civil War buff and almost every summer road trip was connected to that in some way, as well as reading about the battles ahead of time.  Never spent a minute at Disneyland or Disney World, it was always a museum or national park.

That type of childhood really doesn't exist anymore.

Fwiw, I learned how to read because my parents tricked me (reverse psychology!) by buying sports bios in elementary school because they saw my interest level rising.

Now I have to throw out the school grammar workbooks and read my own son Plants vs. Zombies almanac terms because he just fell in love with that mobile game.  Of course, the other problem is English is not his first language, it's Chinese.

BTW, had a cousin from Plano who died in his mid 50s, spent his whole life writing about the Civil War and Texas history.  Look up "My Brother, the Wind."  Carl Everett, when he played for the Rangers once wrote him a personal note saying that he was his favorite author...yet another reason I have such a soft spot for that 2005 team.

Also highly recommend Life Ain't the Same in the Pecos League by Bill Rogan.  Provided me with a far greater appreciation with the winding path Yermin Mercedes took to reach the majors.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Funny you should mention that.  My father probably qualified as a Civil War buff and almost every summer road trip was connected to that in some way, as well as reading about the battles ahead of time.  Never spent a minute at Disneyland or Disney World, it was always a museum or national park.

That type of childhood really doesn't exist anymore.

Fwiw, I learned how to read because my parents tricked me (reverse psychology!) by buying sports bios in elementary school because they saw my interest level rising.

Now I have to throw out the school grammar workbooks and read my own son Plants vs. Zombies almanac terms because he just fell in love with that mobile game.  Of course, the other problem is English is not his first language, it's Chinese.

BTW, had a cousin from Plano who died in his mid 50s, spent his whole life writing about the Civil War and Texas history.  Look up "My Brother, the Wind."  Carl Everett, when he played for the Rangers once wrote him a personal note saying that he was his favorite author...yet another reason I have such a soft spot for that 2005 team.

Also highly recommend Life Ain't the Same in the Pecos League by Bill Rogan.  Provided me with a far greater appreciation with the winding path Yermin Mercedes took to reach the majors.

I'll look them up. Thank you.