Colon

DBAHO

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, hopefully he actually enjoys it here and likes the extra 5 mil. But, if that was just bs and he doesn't like being in Chicago, he will be gone as soon as he gets an offer from the Yanks or whoever has the dough.

Honestly, there is almost no doubt in my mind that he'll end up in New York. Especially since the Yanks lost the World Series. Now Steinbrenner is going to do anything in his power to keep that from happening again.

Also found this article bout Paul Molitor possibly bein our 3rd base coach if Cito Gaston is hired.

Paul Molitor

Interesting to see Cito only wants to manage if da Sox r in a position to win.

Good article about Gatson and Molitor. I just don't understand why we would bring him as a 3rd base coach when he would probably be a great hitting coach. Just my thoughts. Having of them both in the organization wouldn't hurt though. I would love it.

Good evening everyone. I hope Reinsdorf was paying attention tonight & through the playoffs. We need pitchers that can go 8-9 innings consistently, and Colon is one of the few in baseball that can do that almost every time he takes the ball. I'll go out on a limb and say this: If the highest paid player (14 million by Maggs contract in 2004) comes down to Maggs or Colon, we should make the offer to Colon & trade Maggs for other pieces. I love Maggs, but I love pitching more. Maggs could bring a LOT in a trade & we could keep the rotation intact & improve it. I'll take a lineup of 'grinders' (KW's words) as long as the rotation gives us a chance every day.

I love Maggs too. But if we can trade him and get some REALLY GOOD PEOPLE in return, then I say we have to. Maggs is a GREAT player, but not a superstar.

A superstar can run, steal bases, field well, hit with power, drive in runs, make a difference, and do all the intangibles. Maggs is close, but no cigar. He's average defensively, can't run much, hits into a TON of DP's, and wouldn't know an intangible if he sat next to it in a bar. A superstar is a "difference maker." When is the last time Maggs was a "difference maker." He'll be one this offseason if we pay him - he will completely screw our payroll up its ass.

He's not worth 14 million a year - sorry. We could translate his salary into some really good players. But then again, Kenny is making the trades.

UH OH. :angry:

Point being:

If we spend the money on Frank, GIDPaul, Lee, and Maggs, 1/3 of the payroll will be spent on them. Plus, can you imagine what Maggs would want after next year? Whew. WAY too much.

Sorry, but that's crap. I want to spend 1/3 of the payroll on pitching, if not 2/3 of it.

Pitching and defense wins championships. You've heard it before. And the Marlins proved it once again.

WE NEED COLON.

I believe it was between 8 and 9 mill....it goes without saying that our organization, with an offer of at least 11 mill per for 3 years on the table for a not spectacluar season, we are doing our part......lets see if Bartolo backs up his mouth now.

A Tub-O-Goo pitcher leaves the Sox for NY and George's money. Where have I heard that before :huh:

I would be very pleased to have Colon back for a few more seasons. Leaving Spring training with Mark, Bart, and Estaban would be nice. If Colon doesn't resign I'd like to see he and Wells in the same lineup. Fricking book ends.

If Bartolo wants to leave let him. Obviously I'd love to have him back too and I think he is a great pitcher, but if he doesn't come back KW can turn around and use that 10-15 million on two pitchers:

Pettite, Ponson, Alvarez, Pavano, Milwood, and Brian Anderson are out there too, and I am sure quite a few pitchers will be put on the trade block like (Freddy Garcia, Javier Vasquez, Curt Schilling)

I wonder if we could steal Lee and Gonzalez from the Marlins. Gonzalez may not swing a huge bat, but he is super solid in the field, and he now has expierence. He has his moments at the plate aswell.

Gonzalez is a solid short stop as is Lee for a firstbaseman.

I know the Marlins have some pretty good prospects down in their farm position at first base, If we could get Derek Lee and Gonzalez from Florida with a prospect involved than I'm all for it.

CWSOX45

I wonder if we could steal Lee and Gonzalez from the Marlins. Gonzalez may not swing a huge bat, but he is super solid in the field, and he now has expierence. He has his moments at the plate aswell.

Why would the Marlins trade players they just rode to a WS title?

They're not going to be looking to deal their position players unless they are totally ripping someone off.

Hell, with that pitching staff, if they resign Pudge and possibly Urbina and add a cheap bat, they could go right back into October next year.

I don't think money is what will keep Colon here, but the years.

If the Sox add 1-2 more years to the deal I think it may work.

I agree, 3 years is not enough. The guy is only 30 years old.

Hell, Glavine got a 3 year deal last off season and he's a lot older.

Gotta give Bart at least 4 years and possibly 5 if you want to keep him.

If Gammons is correct, and I highly doubt he is (Hello Russ Ortiz, Anaheim trade escapades), the only thing we'd get is Type A comp for the Yankees.

I don't know why Colon would want to be in pinstripes anyways, considering everyone just saw first hand 180 million doesn't buy you a World Series. Also, bad rumors have been spreading that Steinbrenner is pissing off a lot of people in the clubhouse.

They're not going to be looking to deal their position players unless they are totally ripping someone off.

Hell, with that pitching staff, if they resign Pudge and possibly Urbina and add a cheap bat, they could go right back into October next year.

$$$$

$$$$

I think they'll be inclined to spend a little, should have better attendance next season as well with the hoopla of a World Series title.

$$$$

I think they'll be inclined to spend a little, should have better attendance next season as well with the hoopla of a World Series title.

If that new stadium goes through, don't expect payroll to climb any.