It looks like the Outfield is set

AJ'S Cousin

17 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I don't think they are available but I wouldn't count number of balls fielded divided by number of innings  times 9 as anything meaningful or even moderately useful. Even statcast info wasn't very useful Vaughn's 1st season in the OF since everyone here was saying he was adequate while I screamed until i was blue in the fingers that he was terrible .

This is the stuff we old dudes first used when we were trying to figure out how to express defensive performance in some terms that can be quantified. 

6 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Here's some Colas offensive highlights from the minors starting at AAA then progressing  through AA and A+.

https://www.milb.com/video/colas-posts-1st-aaa-four-hit-game?t=playerid-693049

There is not a single defensive play on there? Did you go back to talking about a different subject?

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

There is not a single defensive play on there? Did you go back to talking about a different subject?

No I did say offensive highlights in my intro. There's only one defensive highlight I can find and that was when he played CF in the Futures game and came in quickly on a sinking liner from Dusty Bakers son. That was right around the time he got promoted from A+ to Birmingham.

I'm just reminding people they shouldn't worry about Colas' bat so much. Quick bat, hits hangers well . Seems to like the ball down. I would expect a large amount of sinkers, sliders and fastballs up to him.

4 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

No I did say offensive highlights in my intro. There's only one defensive highlight I can find and that was when he played CF in the Futures game and came in quickly on a sinking liner from Dusty Bakers son. That was right around the time he got promoted from A+ to Birmingham.

I'm just reminding people they shouldn't worry about Colas' bat so much. Quick bat, hits hangers well . Seems to like the ball down. I would expect a large amount of sinkers, sliders and fastballs up to him.

Bah, some of the best rookies turn out to be nothing and some of the best players in baseball struggle as rookies. His bat could be excellent and he could still struggle next year and be so bad that he winds up back in Charlotte midseason replaced by Hamilton, and that wouldn’t necessarily mean his career was on an odd path. But the white Sox can’t afford him to have any issues, which is the problem.

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Bah, some of the best rookies turn out to be nothing and some of the best players in baseball struggle as rookies. His bat could be excellent and he could still struggle next year and be so bad that he winds up back in Charlotte midseason replaced by Hamilton, and that wouldn’t necessarily mean his career was on an odd path. But the white Sox can’t afford him to have any issues, which is the problem.

Shouldn't you have said Bah Humbug  ? Happy Holidays !

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Mark Payton is headed to Japan for 2023. He just signed with the Seibu Lions. Sox are going to need to add more minor league guys because we're literally looking at Reyes and Hamilton and that's about it for depth.

Romy is an outfielder

53 minutes ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

Mark Payton is headed to Japan for 2023. He just signed with the Seibu Lions. Sox are going to need to add more minor league guys because we're literally looking at Reyes and Hamilton and that's about it for depth.

I think most here think, myself included, that they will still add a right-handed hitting OF for the bench. Probably another minor league signing to replace Payton too.

What would you all think about exploring a trade for Christopher Morel? He came up with the Cubs last year and while he showed that he is an incredibly raw player, he is also a very versatile player who brings a ton of energy to the field. His combination of speed and power is fun to witness, though his defense and instincts leave room for improvement.

Pros:

•  He has a plus power speed combination that really projects well. His ZiPS projection as a full time player (500+ AB) next season: .234/.304/.425 slash, 2.4 WAR
  • Extreme versatility, logging innings at 3B, SS, 2B, and all three outfield positions last season. Very valuable for the White Sox who could still use another backup outfielder and are uncertain at 2B.
  • Only 23 years young and very raw. With the right coaching and development he has plenty of time to fine tune his game and shore up some weaknesses. But even if he doesn’t, again, he has valuables tools that already grade out well (versatility, power, speed, and glove).
  • An extremely high energy player, something that I could see being very valuable in the White Sox clubhouse.
  • Under control through 2028 and a league minimum for the foreseeable future, something JR would absolutely love.

Cons:

• His hit tool and strike out rate are very poor. In 2022 he carried a 13.9% barrel rate and a 32.2% strikeout rate. While it’s obviously early in his career, that strikeout rate is likely the difference between him being a super utility player and a potential All Star.
  • His defensive woes in the infield mostly stem from a strong but wildly inaccurate throwing arm. And while he shows good range and glove work in the infield, his instincts on routes in the outfield are problematic. He’ll need work defensively at every position to improve to even average in the field.
  • Similarly to above regarding instincts in the field, he needs to improve his instincts on the base paths. While his speed is well above average (in the 88th percentile) he only stole 10 bases in 17 attempts for a 59% success rate.
  • He’s a raw, exciting, versatile, and both cheap and controllable young player. While he shouldn’t be obstructively expensive, he won’t be a giveaway either.

Outside of a few players on their roster, almost no one on the Cubs ML roster is untouchable. Their major weaknesses at the moment appear to be at the infield corners and DH. What do you all think about Morel on the Sox and how do you estimate his cost?