3/12 Angels @ Sox 3:05 (NBCSChicago)

Polar Bear

Today we get our first look at Michael Kopech and hopefully his insane changeup 

A lot of pundits seem down on Michael Kopech this offseason, I am higher than ever?

Kopech was spectacular before his initial injury last season, which was his first full season as a SP in the majors.  After the injury, which the White Sox horribly mismanaged, Kopech was a different pitcher. Because the team had him pitch through his initial injury (torn meniscus) it caused a loss in velocity,  which ultimately caused him to over compensate in his delivery leading to the last injury in September.  

April – June 12: 51.2 IP, 1.92 ERA, 3.10 FIP, 25.2 K%, 11.9 BB%, .136 BAA

June 19 – Sept 13: 67.2 IP, 5.19 ERA, 5.57 FIP, 18.5 K%, 11.3 BB%, .241 BAA

In 11 of 25 starts on the season he lasted 4+ innings and gave up 3 hits or less (8 of 10 before the injury)

In 4 starts he went 5+ innings and while giving up 1 hit or less (all before the injury)

Kopech's best game came after the injury: 6 IP, 0 H, 11 K against Detroit where he used 7.1% changeups.  Its not a coincidence that his best start came with by far his largest % usage of a changeup.  

If Kopech worked on the changeup and refined it to make it a usable pitch (even at 10%) and his knee has heeled, then look for the stats before the injury to be boosted even more with Kopech being more towards a SP2 for the Sox

Looks like Colas is in RF today and Burger back at 3B 

Edited by Polar Bear
  • Like 1

• Quin pinned this topic

There are a couple of guys primed for breakouts on the Sox and Kopech should be near the top of that list. Vaughn is the other one.

I'd include Colas but can't talk breakout unless you are reaching a point where you were projected to be a star but haven't quite got there yet.

Robert and Eloy kind of qualify just because they can't stay on the field. We've seen glimpses of that top level talent but not for a full season ever from both of them. Anything resembling near peak performance from several of the breakout guys could mean big things for the Sox.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There are a couple of guys primed for breakouts on the Sox and Kopech should be near the top of that list. Vaughn is the other one.

I'd include Colas but can't talk breakout unless you are reaching a point where you were projected to be a star but haven't quite got there yet.

Robert and Eloy kind of qualify just because they can't stay on the field. We've seen glimpses of that top level talent but not for a full season ever from both of them. Anything resembling near peak performance from several of the breakout guys could mean big things for the Sox.

Agreed.  If Kopech takes a step forward and can have a healthy season along with Robert, Eloy and Vaughn then special things could be happening on the southside.  If Moncada, Andrus and TA can provide average or slightly above average play then we have something really special.   

Unfortunately health has been a huge issue with this team in the past seasons so only time will tell i guess (and to compound the health issues, our depth is atrocious all over the diamond)

I'd like to see them get some work in today at catching the ball effectively.

Maybe if they could concentrate on that for the next couple three games then start working on hitting the cutoff man.

I get a queasy uneasy feeling every time an opposing batter hits a fair ball on the ground or in the air whether it makes it to the pitcher's mound or beyond, it stands a better chance than not of being an inside the park home run.

I'm not hip to the everyday workings of the Sox. Do these guys practice? Or at this level you just figure all their practicing has already been done?

14 minutes ago, Bossanoveralls said:

I'd like to see them get some work in today at catching the ball effectively.

Maybe if they could concentrate on that for the next couple three games then start working on hitting the cutoff man.

I get a queasy uneasy feeling every time an opposing batter hits a fair ball on the ground or in the air whether it makes it to the pitcher's mound or beyond, it stands a better chance than not of being an inside the park home run.

I'm not hip to the everyday workings of the Sox. Do these guys practice? Or at this level you just figure all their practicing has already been done?

They practice fielding . Grifol was just talking about working with Colas on fundamentals, backing up 1st base, hitting the cutoff man, working on his secondary leads.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-oscar-colas-improving-fundamentals-quest-make-majors

11 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They practice fielding . Grifol was just talking about working with Colas on fundamentals, backing up 1st base, hitting the cutoff man, working on his secondary leads.

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/white-sox/white-sox-oscar-colas-improving-fundamentals-quest-make-majors

Cool.

What about the rest of 'em?

The infielders looked like a little league game the other day.

Someone posted about teams going to be able to just run wild on us.

It ain't right.