Five players you would keep to build around

Greg Hibbard

22 minutes ago, Middle Buffalo said:

I feel like the major issue with 95% of the roster is the Sox would be selling low. Nobody’s ever healthy long enough to have any real value.

The exception is Cease.

You are correct I will not be able to get enough value back in the trades I have to make to fully rebuild this roster. It will take trades and additional drafting and development. That doesn’t change the right decision.

Barring a miracle turnaround, they will need to clear out bad money and get what they can for players. In a lot of cases this will take eating some money. They will have to cut payroll next year, there is no reasonable path to getting better while doing that, so a reset is the only option.

Lynn, Grandal, Kelly, someone might take them if the Sox eat most but not all of their remaining contract. Any savings you get is worth it.

Moncada, Eloy, Graveman, Benintendi - if you have to take a loss on them and get nothing back, but you clear out a good portion of their remaining deal, do it. You remove the risk of having to pay their full deal from your roster.

Anderson, Hendriks if he comes back, maybe Lopez, Cease - might not bring you back everything you want for them, but you can’t risk deciding to hold them and then having them get hurt or struggle. They will bring back things of variable value, do the best you can and get it done.

It’s going to be unpleasant but cleaning up a mess always is. A large portion of next years payroll will basically be dead money. It still has to be done.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bryank1202 said:

Diekman .. Leury .. Lynn.. Grandal.. Kelly.. Gravemen.  Let's get that #1 pick next 5 years 

Yeah and they'll f*** that up too. I don't want Hahn. Or any of these goofs near another rebuild

1 hour ago, BamaDoc said:

Balta, I would add Crochet to your list.  Hopefully comes back and raises value to where you get something down the road.  Lefties always have some value especially if he is looking good by next deadline.

I can't even remember Crochet pitching for us. 

2 hours ago, BamaDoc said:

Balta, I would add Crochet to your list.  Hopefully comes back and raises value to where you get something down the road.  Lefties always have some value especially if he is looking good by next deadline.

I'm unsure about Crochet. I'd at least listen on him, if someone thinks he can be a useful reliever for them this year they might give up something of value for him, but coming back from TJS, I am skeptical about anyone really paying "recent first round draft pick who has multiple years of control remaining" value for him. 

If it was legitimately up to me, I would still 100% put him at Charlotte and tell him he's starting this year, and his job is to see if he can get up to 60 or 70 innings. I'd probably burn another option on him next year, and see if I could make him a starter who throws more than 100 minor league innings next year without blowing service time. Then, I might have an actual starter for 2025.