Ponson and Weaver

Harry Chappas

After seeing that Colon is gone, I think these two guys would be a good deal if the Yanks picked up some salary for Weaver (i.e. Mike Hampton deal.) I think the chance of one of these guys putting up really good numbers are good. If Weaver is a headcase it may be a problem but I think with the state of our rotation, it is a risk we should take. We have one dependable starting pitcher at this point and no options in our minors.

Why do I get the feeling Glendon Raush (sp.?) is going to be in the "Plan," along with Schoenweis. This idea makes me ill.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One problem with going after Ponson:

If we give him more money than Buehrle or Loaiza, won't that ruffle feathers in the clubhouse. Buehrle has been a better pitcher than Ponson over the last three years. He deserves more. And Loaiza was a better pitcher in 2003. He'll believe that he deserves more.

I fear that a big-money offer to Ponson is a big risk.

It may very well cause dissension, but I've got to believe there's dissension in all 30 MLB clubhouses ... someone is always making more than someone else who's been around longer and/or producing better. It's just like any work place in America.

The bottom line is if Colon is indeed out of the picture, they're gonna have to sign a big innings guy to replace him.

Since they're planning on Schow to be the 5th starter, they've got one opening.

That's assuming Buerhle, Loaiza, and Garland stay and I've got no reason to believe they won't.

If one of those four falters, they think they've got guys in the wings ... Wright, Cotts, Rauch, maybe Pacheco.

Personally, I see them adding two pitchers ... a starter and a right handed reliever, who may end up being either Gordon (doubt it) or Sullivan (maybe).

Gordon has been referring to himself in the 3rd person a lot lately ("Flash has proven he can close again"), so that's a sure sign his ego is out of whack.

One problem with going after Ponson:

If we give him more money than Buehrle or Loaiza, won't that ruffle feathers in the clubhouse. Buehrle has been a better pitcher than Ponson over the last three years. He deserves more. And Loaiza was a better pitcher in 2003. He'll believe that he deserves more.

I fear that a big-money offer to Ponson is a big risk.

Mark can make a lot more $$. He's got to make a decision. The ball is in his court. Loaiza is making what the option was. No room for discussion there.

Wright, Cotts, Rauch, maybe Pacheco. 

Those are a few names. I think overall, at least one or two relatively unknown Sox minor leaguers is gonna have to step it up this year for us to have any shot in this thing. We are gonna lose Colon, Gordon, and Sullivan most likely and there's no guarantees about Schoeneweiss being solid. I really want to see Danny in the bullpen next year but he's still being groomed as a starter.

I am afraid that what we are seeing is that we will have to accept whoever is left out there. I don't see everyone's fascination with Weaver or even Ponson. The numbers just aren't there to justify spending big bucks on them. I just hope the Sox management doesn't feel the need to rush out and sign someone just to get a warm body. Weaver most certainly hasn't earned the money the Yankees gave him and let's hope we don't fall into that kind of spending trap. Ponson has been erratic in my opinion and even though his record is better then Weaver he carries a high ERA. I won't count out Colon no matter what KW says about "turning the page," and I hope he doesn't either.

What is it with this fascination with Jeff Weaver?

Jeff Weaver's agent is Scott Boras = end of discussion re: coming to the Sox.

Lack of other quality candidates. There is talk like Shoenweis is going to be a productive stater and Wright is there if we need him. What is this based on? I look at the pitching staff of this team and the only sure thing is Marte and probably Buerhle. Loiaza is still a bit of a gamble as a one hit wonder. Garland looked good at times and appears ready but no sure thing there. I agree Weaver is over priced but plain and simple, pitching wins, not hitting and this is where the gambles and risk need to be made. Our mistake is locking up the Konerko's, Thomas and Ordonez of world and revamping our pitching every year.

Jeff Weaver's agent is Scott Boras = end of discussion re: coming to the Sox.

Lack of other quality candidates. There is talk like Shoenweis is going to be a productive stater and Wright is there if we need him. What is this based on? I look at the pitching staff of this team and the only sure thing is Marte and probably Buerhle. Loiaza is still a bit of a gamble as a one hit wonder. Garland looked good at times and appears ready but no sure thing there. I agree Weaver is over priced but plain and simple, pitching wins, not hitting and this is where the gambles and risk need to be made. Our mistake is locking up the Konerko's, Thomas and Ordonez of world and revamping our pitching every year.

Jeff Weaver i still believe could become a good pitcher. But NOT with the Sox. He was drafted by us and negotiaons went down the s***ter and he re-entered the draft. Weaver has also publicly stated that he hates JR and hates the White Sox. Now why would we want someone like that on our team?

I'd like someone to answer this question also. Weaver blows. Always has. And there are a few quality SP candidates out there. However, JR is too f***ing cheap to actively sign any of them..... plus, we're letting a quality SP get away. The contract offer to Colon was all smoke and mirrors. This Organization never had any intent on resigning BC. Say all you will about Colon not being worth any more than what we offered him. Sometimes, you need to pay slightly higher to retain one's services. This Organization will never do that..... unless KW has a grudge against a player he just traded..... then this Organization will pay a dead arm, save-botching wash-out 10 million a season. A f***ing joke. World Series or bust my ass.

Weaver is NOT a quality candidate.  Shall we beat this dead horse some more??

And who said Colon is gone??   Think we are overreacting a bit??

Kenny Williams said Colon was not going to be resigned.

Where?

In the Trib today

Bartolo Colon's agent said Monday that his client still could land in Chicago after spurning the White Sox's three-year, $36 million offer.

But Sox general manager Ken Williams says that's not the case.

"No, we've turned the page," he said Tuesday. "We can't hold out for one player to the point where it jeopardizes all that we need to do, our next plan of action."

Williams said he had numerous "lengthy, creative discussions" with Colon's agent, Mitch Frankel.

Williams said some of the money in the Sox's offer was deferred because "it doesn't do us any good to overextend in one particular area to forsake another."

While Colon seeks greater fortune on the open market, the Sox will consider pursuing free-agent starters Andy Pettitte, Kevin Millwood and Sidney Ponson.

The Sox long have coveted Ponson, a right-hander who turns 27 next week. He went 14-6 for Baltimore in 2003 before a late-season trade to San Francisco.

Where?

I think he is referring to the article in today's Tribune.

"No, we've turned the page," he said Tuesday. "We can't hold out for one player to the point where it jeopardizes all that we need to do, our next plan of action."

Williams said he had numerous "lengthy, creative discussions" with Colon's agent, Mitch Frankel.

Williams said some of the money in the Sox's offer was deferred because "it doesn't do us any good to overextend in one particular area to forsake another."

Where?

The Tribune I believe.

Perhaps not an overreaction then. However, you can't tell me that if in 45 days from now the Sox haven't signed someone else and Colon finds the market less than expected the Sox wouldn't take him at that time.

While it may not be likely that he will come back, it is still possible.

Lastly, Weaver should not be considered an option so let's move one, please.

Perhaps not an overreaction then.  However,  you can't tell me that if in 45 days from now the Sox haven't signed someone else and Colon finds the market less than expected the Sox wouldn't take him at that time. 

I can't. But I believe Colon has at least two takers in Boston and the NYY.

And I am in 100% agreement that Weaver should not be an option.

As I said...Perhaps they'll hold the $15 million auction and no one will show up. John Henry is already talking about returning to a more "fiscally responsible" approach. Take away the BoSox, and maybe $12 million ain't a bad bid for Bart. We'll just see what happens as the weeks go on. If he comes back to the Sox organization, I'd bet that price, with deferrals intact, will still be available.

Forkit!

After seeing that Colon is gone, I think these two guys would be a good deal if the Yanks picked up some salary for Weaver (i.e. Mike Hampton deal.)  I think the chance of one of these guys putting up really good numbers are good.  If Weaver is a headcase it may be a problem but I think with the state of our rotation, it is a risk we should take.  We have one dependable starting pitcher at this point and no options in our minors.

Why do I get the feeling Glendon Raush (sp.?) is going to be in the "Plan," along with Schoenweis.  This idea makes me ill.

I have a big time feeling that this is the pair you'll end up seeing. I don't know if the Sox will be able to land Nick Johnson, but don't be shocked when Konerko is in Yankee pinstripes with the Sox getting Weaver in return. The salaries are basically a dead split and the Sox would likely be able to get the Yanks to pay some of Weaver's contract.

I think this deal will be the basis of the potential of sending Maggs for Soriano and then in regards to Nick Johnson, we'll see.

I expect at least one trade with the Yanks this offseason and I Think it will happen rather quickly.

And book it, I am very confident Ponson will be a White Sox next year.

Perhaps not an overreaction then.  However,  you can't tell me that if in 45 days from now the Sox haven't signed someone else and Colon finds the market less than expected the Sox wouldn't take him at that time. 

I think you are half way right there, Killa. Theres no way that BOston ccan afford COlon right now, unless they move someone else high salary. The Yankees, OTOH, I'm sure will give him what he wants, and all the "I don't want to play for the Yankees" garbage will be forgotten. All it takes is the green to change one's mind.

Deferring money does nobody any good. The more I read on this situation, the more I think the offer was bulls***, probably $5M/yr with $7M deffered. Why would anyone take this? His agent isn't going to state this in the papers. This sounds like the Buerhle deal, all bulls*** from this horses*** organization.