Clevinger & Andrus Back, Scholtens optioned, Alberto DFA

Sleepy Harold

4 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

You can use either, but the isolated starter is more realistic in terms of what to expect in a game.

Sheets gets pulled for PHs, because he is not a ML ballplayer against LHP, whereas Burger is solid regardless. Burger can also run and play 3B, whereas Sheets has no position he can adequately play, not even 1B. Even Frazier is more valuable at this stage because he can play an acceptable RF.

I prefer a Catcher, Andrus (2B SS), Frazier (RF LF) and Hamilton (CF, RF, LF) as the four reserves, with Burger backing up 3B and learning / backing up 1B (not 2B). Its a good year to have folks work on things.

Eloy has the body where he could theoretically play 1B, but really is too fragile to play anywhere including DH. It's probably best for him mentally and for his trade value for him to stay in RF, and hopefully he can stay healthy for six weeks and be flipped at the deadline with half the club.

I think Sheets has shown now he's an MLB hitter but yes I'd rather have Burger in there over him. SHeets is an ideal PH late in games considering the over abundance of RHP you generally face late. He's been very good in high leverage ,runners in scoring position with 2 outs situations.

I'd just like to see Grifol using some of the stats available to him. There's no reason not to put Burger in the lineup when at home even if it's at the expense of taking out Sheets . Burger has a massively high Slugging at home and thats while most of his PA's are now against RHP.

I'd be fine with Gavin starting some games on the road over Burger but even then in a lost cause kind of way Burger needs to start hitting on the road and leveling out his stats. I know many many players are better at home but his splits are just too ridiculously better at home.

Burger is just a better power hitter and provides some speed regardless of the handedness of the starting pitcher at home . There's no way Burger can keep up the kind of stats he's putting up at home but it's silly to keep benching him in favor of SHeets.

Hell Moncada is sinking to the point of  his defense might not even be a viable reason to keep playing him.  Even when he's in there Moncada can't be in the Middle of the order. Not when his Slugging has sank  to its customary level of right around .400 and his OBP is now  just .307.

It's pretty sad when the old broken down Grandal is a better hitter than the young broken down Moncada. I've tried to be charitable to Moncada and his injuries but be it his oblique (then) or Back (now) he just never seems to heal but keeps playing poorly.

So you have 2 guys you can take out of the lineup at home to get Burger in there, Moncada and SHeets. Grifol has only done it once in 4 games at home. I don't get it.

I keep juggling lineups in my head to try to avoid Burger at 3rd base. Maybe Romy can play a better 3rd base ? Of course now the hole is back at 2nd base and you're back to either putting Moncada or Andrus at 2nd base. Platoon them maybe at 2nd base ? Deck chairs ... Titanic... yadda yadda ... just looking for something to put them on a little roll against the harder schedule upcoming. I wonder how often Grifol sits down with his coaches and thinks about these things. 1st and foremost would be Burger at DH at home but he can't even do that so no chance he does any of the other things I'm spitballing about.

Now with Burger and Romy in and Sheets and Moncada out in my scenario  the Sox are back to being a primarily RHH team again. Throw in that Grandal should be traded ASAP and that leaves 2 RH catchers in Zavala and Carlos Perez. Maybe you can find a team who would be willing to give up a youngish LHH catcher for Grandal who is near MLB ready . But basically come trade deadline it's apparent the Sox should be seeking out more LHH . Of course that's been the case forever with the Sox weakness being against RHP but Hahn's avoided it until this year. God I hope Colas can fix his issues and stay in the lineup.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

26 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

Never fear, Hanser will be back as UTIL after they trade TA and Elvis is the everyday SS. 

I would hope at that point it would be Sosa.... but never say never

• Thanks 1