Clevinger & Andrus Back, Scholtens optioned, Alberto DFA

Sleepy Harold

16 minutes ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I wake up everyday hoping that during the night the Sox have traded his sorry ass. I can’t remember the last time I saw the guy smile (same with Robert), he’s obviously not happy and somehow someway the Sox have to move him.

May 13th recent enough?

yoan-moncada-of-the-chicago-white-sox-re

• Fire 1

1 minute ago, joejoesox said:

Alberto isn't a major leaguer, laughable that our new mgr vouched for him. What a joke. 

And now are today's lineup for your 2021 Chicago White Sox managed by Tony La Russa.

1. SS Leury Garcia .711 OPS
  2. RF Jake Lamb .710
  3. CF Brian Goodwin .693
  4. 1B Yasmani Grandal .939
  5. DH Yermin Mercedes .732
  6. LF Nick Williams .231
  7. 3B Romy Gonzalez .616
  8.  C Zack Collins .669
  9. 2B Cesar Hernandez .608

2 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

This works if they continue playing Romy this season, and see what they have.

Andrus could prove a valuable backup playing 15%-20% of games at SS and 2B. He is overmatched offensively as an everyday starter.

Hate that Clevinger returned, I'll skip the game tonight as I do all his starts. Hope they trade him by the deadline.

They couldn't even start the hottest hitter at home they have in 2 of 3 against the Angels . In the one game Burger started he got 3 hits and PH in the last game and hit a HR.

1.0 fWAR now , 145wRC+ .603 Slugging

Romy should be easier  to fit in at 2nd base but we'll see.

Just now, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

They couldn't even start the hottest hitter at home they have in 2 of 3 against the Angels . In the one game Burger started he got 3 hits and PH in the last game and hit a HR.

1.0 fWAR now , 145wRC+ .603 Slugging

Romy should be easier  to fit in at 2nd base but we'll see.

Burger has been slumping on that road trip, but I agree if you're playing him anywhere its at home. He should play every game at 3B that Yoan is resting, if only to get him more reps there. He's an injury risk attempting to learn 2B on the fly, they reviewed this in ST and found out it's a bad idea.

White Sox Baseball, where bad ideas never die.

11 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Burger has been slumping on that road trip, but I agree if you're playing him anywhere its at home. He should play every game at 3B that Yoan is resting, if only to get him more reps there. He's an injury risk attempting to learn 2B on the fly, they reviewed this in ST and found out it's a bad idea.

Sir, it's called innovation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Guy has insane home and road splits.   Use that to your advantage. 

4 hours ago, The Mighty Mite said:

I wake up everyday hoping that during the night the Sox have traded his sorry ass. I can’t remember the last time I saw the guy smile (same with Robert), he’s obviously not happy and somehow someway the Sox have to move him.

I can't help but wonder if the White Sox are going to trade Burger. If I was running another team and needed a 3rd baseman I would rather have Burger than Moncada. Moncada isn't going to be traded. He can't hit for power and is making some big money. 

14 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

I can't help but wonder if the White Sox are going to trade Burger. If I was running another team and needed a 3rd baseman I would rather have Burger than Moncada. Moncada isn't going to be traded. He can't hit for power and is making some big money. 

The exact opposite of what a rebuilding team should be doing. 

Unless they alteady know 100% for sure Montgomery is much more likely to end up at third base. 

Even then, Burger has a 1B/DH role as they move on from Moncada and Jimenez. 

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Unless they alteady know 100% for sure Montgomery is much more likely to end up at third base. 

If some team was willing to give up actual value for Jake Burger, while filling their DH role, I'm definitely considering this. He's 27 years old and has a couple of serious leg injuries in his background so holding him for several years is a risk, the odds of him being a huge contributor to the White Sox's next competitive team several years from now are low, and he's contributing positively right now which means that he's more useful to a team needing offense than he is to the White Sox right now.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

How are they going to move on from Moncada?

Just now, Balta1701 said:

If some team was willing to give up actual value for Jake Burger, while filling their DH role, I'm definitely considering this. He's 27 years old and has a couple of serious leg injuries in his background so holding him for several years is a risk, the odds of him being a huge contributor to the White Sox's next competitive team several years from now are low, and he's contributing positively right now which means that he's more useful to a team needing offense than he is to the White Sox right now.

It would probably be the Guardians or Tigers lol. 

Although a very similar player in Rooker will be put on the market by the A's. 

As one of the few players fans genuinely seem to like and want to cheer for...this seems like a bad idea just based on the fact that the only thing representing the "next wave" are Montgomery Colas and Romy, who is already quite old as a prospect as well. 

That said, there are always a million guys like Marisnik, Aaron Hicks, Victor Reyes, M.Carpenter, Nelson Cruz and Odor floating around almost for nothing. 

So that acquiring team would like have to be 100% buying into him raising his defense at third to pay anything remotely resembling a premium in trade. 

Undoubtedly Ron Washington involvement again...since we don't seem to have an OF coach and Getz is too busy future GMing to assist Burgatron. 

6 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Worst case scenario he plays through 2024 and then is a free agent.

Smarter move but would require a GM throwing in the towel - take whatever money you can save to move Moncada's remaining contract. If you have to pay 1/2 of it, but you save $15 million, this is a smart move in the long term as it digs you out of the hole.

There are teams that are pretty bad at 3b. The Yankees have a .605 OPS out of that position so far on the year. Counting what looks to be a buyout after a trade kicker came in, Donaldson would have about $13 million or so remaining on his deal at the deadline this year, Moncada would have about $30 million. Donaldson for Moncada gives the Yankees a 3b but clears out more than 1/2 of Moncada's deal. 

2 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

It would probably be the Guardians or Tigers lol. 

Although a very similar player in Rooker will be put on the market by the A's. 

As one of the few players fans genuinely seem to like and want to cheer for...this seems like a bad idea just based on the fact that the only thing representing the "next wave" are Montgomery Colas and Romy, who is already quite old as a prospect as well. 

That said, there are always a million guys like Marisnik, Aaron Hicks, Victor Reyes, M.Carpenter, Nelson Cruz and Odor floating around almost for nothing. 

So that acquiring team would like have to be 100% buying into him raising his defense at third to pay anything remotely resembling a premium in trade. 

Undoubtedly Ron Washington involvement again...since we don't seem to have an OF coach and Getz is too busy future GMing to assist Burgatron. 

I couldn't help but notice the .500 OPS that Seattle has gotten out of their DH spot and .642 OPS they've gotten from 3b. That sure seems like a fit.

8 minutes ago, WBWSF said:

Simple...his contract will be $24 million next year and $25 million with a buyout in 2025.  JR will order him excommunicated to cut payroll. 

Sunk cost like Grandal Kelly Bummer and Lynn.  Just get anything back in cash relief or Tier B/C prosoects or a combination thereof. 

3B has a number of other possibilities like Romy, Sosa, Popeye, Brayan Ramos and Montgomery in the system. 

Arguably the deepest if Montgomery fails to stay at SS long term. 

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Worst case scenario he plays through 2024 and then is a free agent.

Smarter move but would require a GM throwing in the towel - take whatever money you can save to move Moncada's remaining contract. If you have to pay 1/2 of it, but you save $15 million, this is a smart move in the long term as it digs you out of the hole.

There are teams that are pretty bad at 3b. The Yankees have a .605 OPS out of that position so far on the year. Counting what looks to be a buyout after a trade kicker came in, Donaldson would have about $13 million or so remaining on his deal at the deadline this year, Moncada would have about $30 million. Donaldson for Moncada gives the Yankees a 3b but clears out more than 1/2 of Moncada's deal. 

And puts "Jackie Robinson" and Josh Donaldson together in the same clubhouse. 

1 hour ago, caulfield12 said:

And puts "Jackie Robinson" and Josh Donaldson together in the same clubhouse. 

Serious answer: I’d be cutting Donaldson and trading Anderson anyway so it won’t matter.

Sarcastic answer: we’re in a thread about Clevinger coming off the IL I don’t think this organization gets to pretend to care about guys having dignity.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

:djuhohgif:

Elvis could be productive giving Tim and Romy a day off a week, and coming in to close out blow out games to give Tim more rest. He's 34, plus trying to pick up a new position for the first time ever. Would say trying to adjust to 2B and Grifol playing him nearly every single game were large factors in his .534 OPS.

Perhaps flip him to a contender looking to replace or fill in for an injured reserve player. His defense makes him valuable as a reserve. His bat is a liability as an everyday player in 2023.

10 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Sheets should not be on the 26 man roster, wouldn’t mind it if he was traded off the 40 man.

Sheets vs. RHS:

• 2023: .706
  • Career: .738

Elite!

Burger vs. RHS:

• 2023: .869
  • Career: .793

Hahn / Grifol bench.

How do you find how they do starting pitching vs relief pitching ? I don't see anything on Baseball reference that does splits that way.

I see Gavin at a .769 OPS against all RHP in 2023. Burger at .833

Never mind I found it . Just means he does better late in games against the relief pitching. Although you would think that if they had a stat for performing against RHS they would have a stat for vs, RHRelief pitcher too.

I see it now there's a little caveat :vs Starter batting splits are for the entire game when the starter was LH or RH. These splits include any subsequent plate appearances against a reliever regardless of their throwing hand. These splits are a proxy for platoon splits for seasons we lack play-by-play data. from GL team pitching splits indicate how batters did against the team and use the batter's overall batting handedness for this split.

I prefer the overall OPS vs RHP  a lot more than that stat you used. It's kind of a strange stat with the qualifier they use.

Gavin is actually a better hitter on the road this year by a decent amount of OPS. Home .657 , Away .825.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

How do you find how they do starting pitching vs relief pitching ? I don't see anything on Baseball reference that does splits that way.

I see Gavin at a .769 OPS against all RHP in 2023. Burger at .833

Never mind I found it . Just means he does better late in games against the relief pitching. Although you would think that if they had a stat for performing against RHS they would have a stat for vs, RHRelief pitcher too.

I see it now there's a little caveat :vs Starter batting splits are for the entire game when the starter was LH or RH. These splits include any subsequent plate appearances against a reliever regardless of their throwing hand. These splits are a proxy for platoon splits for seasons we lack play-by-play data. from GL team pitching splits indicate how batters did against the team and use the batter's overall batting handedness for this split.

I prefer the overall OPS vs RHP  a lot more than that stat you used. It's kind of a strange stat with the qualifier they use.

Gavin is actually a better hitter on the road this year by a decent amount of OPS. Home .657 , Away .825.

You can use either, but the isolated starter is more realistic in terms of what to expect in a game.

Sheets gets pulled for PHs, because he is not a ML ballplayer against LHP, whereas Burger is solid regardless. Burger can also run and play 3B, whereas Sheets has no position he can adequately play, not even 1B. Even Frazier is more valuable at this stage because he can play an acceptable RF.

I prefer a Catcher, Andrus (2B SS), Frazier (RF LF) and Hamilton (CF, RF, LF) as the four reserves, with Burger backing up 3B and learning / backing up 1B (not 2B). Its a good year to have folks work on things.

Eloy has the body where he could theoretically play 1B, but really is too fragile to play anywhere including DH. It's probably best for him mentally and for his trade value for him to stay in RF, and hopefully he can stay healthy for six weeks and be flipped at the deadline with half the club.