White Sox move up to 13th in Farm System Rankings most MLB Trade Deadline

South Side Hit Men

The White Sox gained the highest farm system acquisitions this deadline per Fangraphs. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/how-the-draft-and-the-trade-deadline-affected-our-farm-system-rankings/

• Pre-draft: White Sox 23rd
  • Post-draft: White Sox 23rd
  • MLB Trade Deadline Player Acquisition Value: $63M
  • Current Rank 13th

When you combine action occurring during the draft and trade deadline, the Mets, Nationals, and White Sox stand apart from the other teams in terms of talent added to their systems....

The Mets and White Sox are both big climbers in the rankings below, but that’s because they have each had disappointing seasons and were prominent deadline sellers. They’re making the best of the hand they dealt themselves, but I’m sure they’d rather be in the playoff hunt than padding their minor league coffers.

• Fire 1

43 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The White Sox gained the highest farm system acquisitions this deadline per Fangraphs. 

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/how-the-draft-and-the-trade-deadline-affected-our-farm-system-rankings/

• Pre-draft: White Sox 23rd
  • Post-draft: White Sox 23rd
  • MLB Trade Deadline Player Acquisition Value: $63M
  • Current Rank 13th

It's an interesting chart and what I take away from it is that Cleveland improved their already good farm while still remaining in the playoff hunt. Can't believe they got Manzardo for basically nothing. I bet that deal existed for the Sox but they decided Vaughn is a better piece. Maybe they're right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nrockway said:

It's an interesting chart and what I take away from it is that Cleveland improved their already good farm while still remaining in the playoff hunt. Can't believe they got Manzardo for basically nothing. I bet that deal existed for the Sox but they decided Vaughn is a better piece. Maybe they're right.

More compelling evidence for Rick Hahn, 2023 AL Executive of the Year.

Baseball America puts the Sox system in the top ten and he's a virtual shoo-in.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

More compelling evidence for Rick Hahn, 2023 AL Executive of the Year.

Baseball America puts the Sox system in the top ten and he's a virtual shoo-in.

Hahn likely acquired more fWAR in 2023 than in 2020 once all the prospects play out. Abreu was the only winning contract during the 2020 offseason.

2020 $212M 17.6 net fWAR (Abreu 9.4) + Crochet future fWAR/Salary.

• 11/14/19 - Signed free agent Jose Abreu ($50.0M over 3 seasons, 9.4 fWAR)
  • 11/21/19 - Signed free agent Yasmani Grandal ($72.0M over 4 seasons 5.0 fWAR)
  • 12/10/19 - Traded Justin Steele for Nomar Mazara ($5.6M 0.1 fWAR)
  • 12/20/19 - Signed free agent Gio Gonzalez ($5.0M 0.0 fWAR)
  • 12/30/19 - Signed free agent Dallas Keuchel ($55.5M over 3 seasons 2.2 fWAR)
  • 1/9/20 - Signed free agent Edwin Encarnacion ($12.0M -0.4 fWAR)
  • 1/14/20 - Signed free agent Steve Cishek ($6.0M -0.2 fWAR)
  • 6/10/20 - Selected Garrett Crochet with the 11th overall pick ($5.8M 1.5 fWAR)
  • 8/28/20 - Lone trade deadline acquisition: Jarrod Dyson (0.0 fWAR)

2023 -$100M for net 2.0 fWAR + Benintendi 2024-2027 & Jacob Gonzalez.  Also acquired $63M in Minor League value (per Fangraphs) in tanking trades.

• 12/4/22 - Signed free agent Mike Clevinger ($12.0M 1.1 fWAR)
  • 12/19/22 - Signed free agent Billy Hamilton ($1.0M 0.0 fWAR)
  • 12/20/22 - Signed free agent Jesse Scholtens ($0.8M 0.3 fWAR)
  • 1/3/23 - Signed free agent Andrew Benintendi ($75.0M 0.5 fWAR)
  • 1/9/23 - Signed free agent Keynan "Loose Lips" Middleton ($0.7M 0.0 fWAR)
  • 1/11/23 - Signed free agent Hanser Alberto ($1.3M -0.3 fWAR)
  • 2/20/23 - Signed free agent Elvis Andrus ($3.0M 0.4 fWAR)
  • 4/28/23 - Signed free agent Clint Frazier ($1.0M? -0.3 fWAR)
  • 5/8/23 - Signed free agent Bryan Shaw ($0.7M 0.0 fWAR)
  • 6/20/23 - Signed free agent Touki Toussaint ($0.7M 0.3 fWAR)
  • 7/16/23 - Signed 15th overall selection Jacob Gonzalez for $3.9M.
  • 7/26/23 - Traded Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez for Ky Bush & Edgar Quero
  • 7/28/23 - Traded Kendall Graveman for Korey Lee
  • 7/28/23 - Traded Joe Kelly and Lance Lynn for Nick Nastrini, Jordan Leasure and Trayce Thompson.
  • 8/1/23 - Traded Jake Burger for Jake Eder
  • 8/1/23 - Traded Keynan "Loose Lips" Middleton for Juan Carela
  • 8/4/23 - Traded internation slot money for Aldrin Batista and Maximo Martinez
  • 8/5/23 - Claimed Brent Honeywell Jr. off waivers.
  • 8/7/23 - Purchased Tyler Naquin.

4 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Hahn likely acquired more fWAR in 2023 than in 2020 once all the prospects play out. Abreu was the only winning contract during the 2020 offseason.

• 12/20/19 - Signed free agent Gio Gonzalez ($5.0M 0.0 fWAR)
  • 12/30/19 - Signed free agent Dallas Keuchel ($55.5M over 3 seasons 2.2 fWAR)
  • 1/9/20 - Signed free agent Edwin Encarnacion ($12.0M -0.4 fWAR)
  • 1/14/20 - Signed free agent Steve Cishek ($6.0M -0.2 fWAR)
  • 6/10/20 - Selected Garrett Crochet with the 11th overall pick ($5.8M 1.5 fWAR)
  • 8/28/20 - Lone trade deadline acquisition: Jarrod Dyson (0.0 fWAR)

2023 -$100M for net 2.0 fWAR + Benintendi 2024-2027 & Jacob Gonzalez.  Also acquired $63M in Minor League value (per Fangraphs) in tanking trades.

• 12/4/22 - Signed free agent Mike Clevinger ($12.0M 1.1 fWAR)
  • 12/19/22 - Signed free agent Billy Hamilton ($1.0M 0.0 fWAR)
  • 12/20/22 - Signed free agent Jesse Scholtens ($0.8M 0.3 fWAR)
  • 1/3/23 - Signed free agent Andrew Benintendi ($75.0M 0.5 fWAR)
  • 1/9/23 - Signed free agent Keynan "Loose Lips" Middleton ($0.7M 0.0 fWAR)
  • 1/11/23 - Signed free agent Hanser Alberto ($1.3M -0.3 fWAR)
  • 2/20/23 - Signed free agent Elvis Andrus ($3.0M 0.4 fWAR)
  • 4/28/23 - Signed free agent Clint Frazier ($1.0M? -0.3 fWAR)
  • 5/8/23 - Signed free agent Bryan Shaw ($0.7M 0.0 fWAR)
  • 6/20/23 - Signed free agent Touki Toussaint ($0.7M 0.3 fWAR)
  • 7/16/23 - Signed 15th overall selection Jacob Gonzalez for $3.9M.
  • 7/26/23 - Traded Lucas Giolito, Reynaldo Lopez for Ky Bush & Edgar Quero
  • 7/28/23 - Traded Kendall Graveman for Korey Lee
  • 7/28/23 - Traded Joe Kelly and Lance Lynn for Nick Nastrini, Jordan Leasure and Trayce Thompson.
  • 8/1/23 - Traded Jake Burger for Jake Eder
  • 8/1/23 - Traded Keynan "Loose Lips" Middleton for Juan Carela
  • 8/4/23 - Traded internation slot money for Aldrin Batista and Maximo Martinez
  • 8/5/23 - Claimed Brent Honeywell Jr. off waivers.
  • 8/7/23 - Purchased Tyler Naquin.

All that was (award was) more everything cumulatively coming together from 2017-2019....seemingly at the  time, the series of moves leading to an "early/unexpected" playoff appearance.

14 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

All that was (award was) more everything cumulatively coming together from 2017-2019....seemingly at the  time, the series of moves leading to an "early/unexpected" playoff appearance.

Playoff "appearances" are meaningless beyond extra revenue for owners.

16 teams made the playoffs, what some fans here want to make permanent, rendering an 162 game season less relevant than a five or seven game series.

The 8-12 team playoffs were watered down enough. Baseball played seven decades with 8 or 10 (1960s) team leagues, World Series lone playoffs. This guaranteed only the top few teams would be crowned world champions. Now you can finish fourth in a five team division and win the World Series. It's absolutely ludicrious and a complete and utter sham. I will join 97% of America and not pay attention to it. This wasn't the case prior to 1994 when teams had to earn a post season appearance, not merely play around .500 baseball.

• Like 1

How do these writers keep their jobs? Hahn isn't smart enough to actually acquire quality prospects. He found the "looks good but doesn't work" leftovers from other teams. They will all be busts by 2026.

I don't need evidence. I don't ever need to lay eyes on them. I don't need Bill James to run numbers for me. If I always write JR and Company will fail next I will be correct 95% of the time.

And how far did his MLB roster fall in a year or two? 

7 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Playoff "appearances" are meaningless beyond extra revenue for owners.

16 teams made the playoffs, what some fans here want to make permanent, rendering an 162 game season less relevant than a five or seven game series.

The 8-12 team playoffs were watered down enough. Baseball played seven decades with 8 or 10 (1960s) team leagues, World Series lone playoffs. This guaranteed only the top few teams would be crowned world champions. Now you can finish fourth in a five team division and win the World Series. It's absolutely ludicrious and a complete and utter sham. I will join 97% of America and not pay attention to it. This wasn't the case prior to 1994 when teams had to earn a post season appearance, not merely play around .500 baseball.

If Cleveland in - not sham

If Yankees in - total sham and absolutely ludicrous?

4 hours ago, Texsox said:

How do these writers keep their jobs? Hahn isn't smart enough to actually acquire quality prospects. He found the "looks good but doesn't work" leftovers from other teams. They will all be busts by 2026.

I don't need evidence. I don't ever need to lay eyes on them. I don't need Bill James to run numbers for me. If I always write JR and Company will fail next I will be correct 95% of the time.

And how far did his MLB roster fall in a year or two? 

40 minutes ago, zisk said:

who cares we're 13th? we'll f*** up 75% of our prospects anyway.

You guys seem fun at parties 

• Haha 3
  • Hawk 1
  • TLR 1

3 hours ago, Texsox said:

If Cleveland in - not sham

If Yankees in - total sham and absolutely ludicrous?

I sincerely hope there are two division winners and even a wild card team under .500 which make it this year.

My solution, two seven team divisions in each league (two teams contracted), and balanced intraleague schedule (12 X 13 teams = 156 games) pit four division champions. If in place this year, the four playoff teams are Baltimore (AL East .615) vs. Texas (AL West .598) and Atlanta (NL East .647) and Los Angeles (NL West .603). I threw out an eight division example because the owners can't help themselves and would never go from 12 to 4 teams.

There would be more interest and ratings in the All Star Game and Playoffs / World Series if the best teams during the 156 or 162 game season were competing to be champions. 

One league. Balanced Schedule. Winner takes all. No playoffs. Playoffs make the regular season meaningless. 

Once we say that's not ideal, it's just a matter of how fast do you want to eliminate teams versus keeping them around playing. 

Baseball would be better right now if the teams below .500 went away and allowed the quality teams to play. Call it an expanded regular season if you don't want to call them playoffs. 

1 hour ago, zisk said:

who cares we're 13th? we'll f*** up 75% of our prospects anyway.

It would be amazing if we actually were successful with 25% of our prospects. I'd be shocked if three in the entire system eventually earned veteran status. So that's about 1%. 

13 hours ago, South Side Hit Men said:

Point taken and agree, but it was Steele Walker traded for Mazara.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Texsox said:

One league. Balanced Schedule. Winner takes all. No playoffs. Playoffs make the regular season meaningless. 

Once we say that's not ideal, it's just a matter of how fast do you want to eliminate teams versus keeping them around playing. 

Baseball would be better right now if the teams below .500 went away and allowed the quality teams to play. Call it an expanded regular season if you don't want to call them playoffs. 

The two leagues were separate entities for over 80 years. Should return to that format, separate umpires, separate schedules, separate league offices.

Round robin competition and no playoffs is the best option, but it would never pass, plus exceeds the historical balance of competition within 8 - 10 team leagues.

Only regular season champions, be it single leagues or division, should compete for a "World Championship". If you can't win a 4-7 team division, GTFO.

They should also put an asterisk or scarlet letter beside any official World Series list next to the 1997 Florida Marlins, 2002 Anaheim Angels, 2003 Florida Marlins, 2004 Boston Red Sox, Tony La Russa's 2011 Saint Louis Cardinals, 2014 San Francisco Giants and 2019 Washington Nations. They should also pledge to never allow this scam again. It's NBA/NHL/CBB level bullshit.

* - These teams were not able to win beat out 3-4 other division teams over the 162 game "championship season", but had a hot couple weeks.

Edited by South Side Hit Men

24 minutes ago, South Side Hit Men said:

The two leagues were separate entities for over 80 years. Should return to that format, separate umpires, separate schedules, separate league offices.

Round robin competition and no playoffs is the best option, but it would never pass, plus exceeds the historical balance of competition within 8 - 10 team leagues.

Only regular season champions, be it single leagues or division, should compete for a "World Championship". If you can't win a 4-7 team division, GTFO.

They should also put an asterisk or scarlet letter beside any official World Series list next to the 1997 Florida Marlins, 2002 Anaheim Angels, 2003 Florida Marlins, 2004 Boston Red Sox, Tony La Russa's 2011 Saint Louis Cardinals, 2014 San Francisco Giants and 2019 Washington Nations. They should also pledge to never allow this scam again. It's NBA/NHL/CBB level bullshit.

* - These teams were not able to win beat out 3-4 other division teams over the 162 game "championship season", but had a hot couple weeks.

Divisions and leagues are arbitrary and based on the days of bus rides and business interests. Now TV and time zones.

Head to head playoff wins is more meaningful than we beat these other teams more than you did so we are better.