8/15 Games

BamaDoc

Kanny wins in a blowout, 16-3.

• Hard to pick a standout in a lineup that gets 16 hits and 8 walks to just 6K, but Sprinkle was s a force today. 3-3 with a HR, 2BB, and 3 RBI.
  • The trio of Harris/Park/Gonzo all got 2 hits apiece. Park walked twice, and Harris/Gonzo once each.
  • McDaniel gets the W with an odd line of 5IP, 3ER, 10H, 3BB, 3K, limiting the damage to one inning despite plenty of baserunners. 

WS also nabs a blowout win, 14-4. 

• Burke 2-6 with a 2B. Chappy 2-4 with a 3B and BB.
  • Baldwin (3-4, HR, BB) and Willits (2-4, BB) continue to settle in nicely after their promotions.
  • Schweitzer went 4IP on 6H, 2BB, 3K. 3 runs, 2 earned.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

Mena done 7IP 3H 3R 3ER 2bb 4K. Actually pitched better than the numbers indicate. Let's see if their crappy bullpen can hold on.

He has been solid for a while, but especially great since Quero arrived. 18.2IP, 6ER, 20K, 6BB with his new battery mate. 2.89ERA, 1.13WHIP.

Shame he gets the ND tonight.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, PolishPrince34 said:

Quero swinging the bat! 

Very impressive game by Quero. Just as impressive for me as the two HR was how he worked with Mena and his productive outs -- hitting behind the runner with a man on 2b no one out in a one run game and a perfectly executed sac fly.  Edgar is a smart player.

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

That HR was especially nice, because it picked up Ramos who ran himself into a FC out as the free runner in extras.

Great showing from Quero overall. Excellent work with Mena, came through with 2 productive outs in key situational spots, and of course those pretty homers.

Barons win 7-5, completing an org sweep of the full season slate as the Knights and Sox also turn in Ws.

DSL won too, and the ACL team is leading late, so maybe we'll see a rare full org sweep.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

If you want to be even more sad about the 2023 pick of the Sox, go look at the 4 guts picked directly after Jacob Gonzalez and how they are doing...DEFINITELY small sample size, but one of these things does not look like the others.

Jacob Gonzalez:
image.png

Bryce Eldridge:
image.png

Enrique Bradfield:
image.png

Brock Wilken:
image.png

Brayden Taylor:
image.png

Hahn needs to see this.  Let's revisit this at the end of the season.  Thanks.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

If you want to be even more sad about the 2023 pick of the Sox, go look at the 4 guts picked directly after Jacob Gonzalez and how they are doing...DEFINITELY small sample size, but one of these things does not look like the others.

Jacob Gonzalez:
image.png

Bryce Eldridge:
image.png

Enrique Bradfield:
image.png

Brock Wilken:
image.png

Brayden Taylor:
image.png

None of those have under gone a significant swing change like Gonzalez has. If you’re looking for something to be excited about regarding Gonzalez, he has 8 k’s to 7 bb’s. He’s under going a massive swing chance and he’s not striking out, that’s impressive. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

None of those have under gone a significant swing change like Gonzalez has. If you’re looking for something to be excited about regarding Gonzalez, he has 8 k’s to 7 bb’s. He’s under going a massive swing chance and he’s not striking out, that’s impressive. 

I have been worried about Gonzalez early. I will say he looked better today. Made a fantastic play in the field that the runner barely beat. Had a double in the gap robbed, walked and got two hits.  Only on his foul pop to left did he have the big loop in his swing that has really concerned me.  There’s still no way he’s a top 4 guy in the system, but tonight was pretty good.

6 minutes ago, Timmy U said:

I have been worried about Gonzalez early. I will say he looked better today. Made a fantastic play in the field that the runner barely beat. Had a double in the gap robbed, walked and got two hits.  Only on his foul pop to left did he have the big loop in his swing that has really concerned me.  There’s still no way he’s a top 4 guy in the system, but tonight was pretty good.

I’m more concerned to see how he looks after instructs and on the backfields in the spring. Hopefully he’ll get comfortable with this new swing over the winter.

Regarding the Rankings, I’d go Colson/Schultz/Quero/Ramos/Eder/Gonzalez. I think there’s an argument to have Mena above Gonzalez.

How has he looked in the field overall? I think his long term home will be at 3B. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Joshua Strong said:

I’m more concerned to see how he looks after instructs and on the backfields in the spring. Hopefully he’ll get comfortable with this new swing over the winter.

Regarding the Rankings, I’d go Colson/Schultz/Quero/Ramos/Eder/Gonzalez. I think there’s an argument to have Mena above Gonzalez.

How has he looked in the field overall? I think his long term home will be at 3B. 

He’s made five errors. I think mostly on throws. In some ways, he reminds me of Montgomery. He hesitates sometimes and ends up throwing way high.  Otherwise, he’s been fine.

I want to make something clear, his swing is not radically changed from college. I think he’s a little more closed and not flying open as much, and it feels like his feet are planted more.  In college, he looked almost like he was emulating the Japanese swing.  But it is not much different, he is still open and crouched.

Oh man what a night.

Really hope Mena becomes an impactful pitcher for us. He’s always stood out as so different. First his collection of breaking balls for strikes, now learning how to go deep into games. 

Now let’s get some of these college pitchers to show as much :)